E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
xtppiana

My Ride: e46 330ci
My very detailed explanation of a rear knocking noise

Hello everyone!

So I just bought my third BMW, a 330ci.
Love it! However there are a number of small issues relating the rear of the car and a few noises.

The handbrake is very very weak and the rear brakes (it sounds like) make a clicking noise at low speeds. This goes away when the car gets going and is hear when the car is in gear and in neutral or with the clutch in while moving.

It very much sounds like the retaining plate from behind the brake discs is rubbing. However the ride also seems very firm in comparison with my 325i e46 that this replaced. The car sits a hell of a lot lower than my old e46. The noise gets faster as the car gets faster and is obviously from the wheel in rotation.

I faint squeak, springy noise is hear from the rear when taking off also.

The steering seems to have a mind of its own sometimes and it feels like I am fighting the erratic behaviour of the power steering, almost like the car is steering itself.

A clicking noise when going over bumps is heard as well and sounds different to the brakes.

Now I am no mechanic. But I don't know what to do!
The car has a full service history up to 130ish (on 150 now) which is odd as the tamper dot is on but other than that the engine and gearbox are just sublime! Far better than my old e46 and that was so well looked after! The car feels so solid and is no dog but I've just bought it and I don't know what to do! What can I check!
xtppiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
i would've stepped away from a e46 if i ever saw a tamper dot.

handbrake cable may need to be tighten and adjusted. very simple to do a DYI http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Adjustment.htm

i believe the coupe sits lower than the sedan. but it also depends on the package. sport package is more stiffer and lower than a non-package.

i'm not sure about your brakes but the clicking noise you hear going over speed bump is your subframe bushings (i have the same problem, mechanic told me it's the subframe bushings)
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
xtppiana

The reason I didn't step away was the full service history showing the miles and the fact it drove really well and the engine and gearbox are so great. Subframe bushes. Expensive?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
xtppiana

In regards to the tamper dot again, bit of a coincidence I looked into what else it could be seeing as the mileage seems genuine and everyone talks about the LCM. Funnily enough today I saw my rear lights come up as warnings on the dashboard. Turns the sidelights on and off again and the warning was gone. Will check in the morning if the lights have been converted to LED as I remember when I first saw the car I thought they looked different...
Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Mango
New member? See my sig!

My Ride: M54B30
You need to strip down all the parts in the rear and check them out. Could be a combination of one or more problems. Clicking could also be your bearings that are shot. Maybe the parking brake shoes are screwed. Who knows. Visual inspection in order
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
DrewzillaE46

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Bearings don't usually click, they growl. The clicking you're hearing is most likely something loose in your suspension or the cvs in your rear axles wearing out. Inspect the boots for tears and if there are any they'll need replaced eventually. If no tears are found check the suspension for looseness or play. If that checks out pull your axles (if ya want but it's over kill). But FIRST...are all your lugs tight?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DrewzillaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
yoyomin

My Ride: 2002 330i
Does the clicking sound goes away when you pull the handbrake? If it does then I'm 99% sure that your rear brake support plate is rusted and would need to be replaced. It could be done without pulling the hub if you cut the plates.