E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
chad h

My Ride: '01 330i Manual
Passenger window stuck...

I bought my 330 a few weeks ago and knew when purchasing that the passenger window was what the previous owner said was "off track". I assumed the regulator was out.

Last week, I followed one of the regulator DIY's, but i couldn't get the window down half way in order to line up the bolts. I could barely get it to move a 1/4 inch.

It seems like not many other people have this problem, and I'm pretty clueless as how to go about this. Ideas?

Thanks
-Chad
chad h is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Sounds like either the window is jammed in the track (lopsided) or the mechanical part of the regulator is frozen... Or it could be the wiring is tangled... That is what happened to mine. It can be a pain... But keep working on it. You'll get it.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
even if the wire is tangled, you can get everything out. Is doesnt look that easy, but it is. You need to play with it a bit. Dont worry, you wont break it. I made my friend drive his car for a week without regulator or motor. We Just zip tied it until his regulator came in the mail.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
even if the wire is tangled, you can get everything out. Is doesnt look that easy, but it is. You need to play with it a bit. Dont worry, you wont break it. I made my friend drive his car for a week without regulator or motor. We Just zip tied it until his regulator came in the mail.
Yup... I did the same thing... Clear packing tape on the inside window against the frame until it came in!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
chad h

Like I said the only problem is that even after i took the motor off, and i was trying to manually push down the window, I couldn't make it move. I tried and to move it every way possible with no success. It seems literally stuck. I didn't know what to do after that. So now it's back together till i get a solid idea of how to handle it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Big Rick

Did you take out just the motor or the motor AND the regulator?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
chad h

Just the motor. Didn't know you could take out the regulator without detaching the window from the frame...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
mildon77

My Ride: 02 330i
The cables in the regulator are probly binding up not letting the window move at all. Since your replacing it just cut the cable with a side cutter. Should remove tension to allow you to drop the window down.
mildon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Big Rick

You need to loosen the regulator and remove. You took out the motor but the steel cable is all screwed up and will not let the window come down... 4 bolts I think and you're out!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
chad h

Is it possible to fix this without buying parts? I may just work on it this evening..
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Big Rick

It depends on how bad it is... If you window is jammed though... I'd say no.

If the steel cable is kinked... you are fuked. No two ways about it. Even IF you could get the proper tension... Then next time that kink goes over the roller... It would derail all over again and get tangled up.

I'd look up Pelicanparts.com... That's where I always buy mine... Yup... I've replaced 3 of them... You need to make sure you roll your windows down every now and then. If you don't.. They will stick in their tracks just long enough to break the cheap plastic roller on the regulator.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Law 330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci M Sport
I'm having exactly the same problem. I bought my 330Ci last week also knowing that the passenger window would only go down about 4 inches. Last night i took it all apart only to find that i couldn't get access to these 2 bolts holding the window as the cable was all chewed up in the regulator.

The only bolts I could see which were attached to the window looked like they were star shaped and not your typical bolt. As I had no tool that could remove this (if I could get the window down that far) I'm now left with my door card in the boot (trunk). I'm seriously tempted to just take it to a garage to fix, as the half an hour repair guide took me 2 at least!
Law 330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad h View Post
Just the motor. Didn't know you could take out the regulator without detaching the window from the frame...
You gotta take out the whole thing.

Anything that is "star shaped" is a Torx screw or Star bolt. Torx screws take a tip that fits into the screw, Star bolts are pretty much the same shape but take a socket that fits over the head of the bolt. You can buy torx screwdrivers and star sockets at the store.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Law 330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci M Sport
I've decided to dip into my pocket and just give it to a pro. You're right that it's a torx socket but after the ball ache I had yesterday I can't be arsed having to do it all again. Plus if they mess it up at least I don't have to pay anymore. I did advise my local garage (non dealer) about the zip ties though which was new to him but hopefully will help his future trade. All on for 130 using OEM parts. BMW stealers wanted 300!

Thanks for the advice anyway
Law 330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote