E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
*** AC Outside Airintake Flap shut all the time?

My AC Outside Airintake Flap are shut all the time. Doesn't matter if I change the setting to both recirculate mode or turn it completely off. When the recirculate is turned off is it suppose to open the flap near squirrel cage fan to pull in fresh air?
The flaps only open when the car is turned off.
Any thoughts?

Thx

E46 & E90 Rocks

Last edited by mp333; 06-14-2015 at 10:33 AM.
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
FrozenHaxor

My Ride: 2000 E46 323Ci
Does it change when you set the 3 buttons on the left (windshield / face / legs) to ON and turn the recirculation fully off?

Last edited by FrozenHaxor; 06-14-2015 at 11:05 AM.
FrozenHaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
mp333

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenHaxor View Post
Does it change when you set the 3 buttons on the left (windshield / face / legs) to ON and turn the recirculation fully off?
I dont think it did...

E46 & E90 Rocks
Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
FrozenHaxor

Please make sure, switch all 3 of them to ON and put the fan on full blast, make sure its not on AUTO, on my car they tend to be closed when in AUTO mode. Just put your hand over the hood intake holes, you should definitely feel lots of air being drawn in.

If not, I have no idea what's up with it.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
mp333

Thanks. I will check.

E46 & E90 Rocks
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
FrozenHaxor

So, what's up with it? Does it work properly afterall?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
BMW-North

My Ride: __
Sounds like a faulty AUC Sensor (that's the little rectangular box on top of the fan shroud about 4"x1.5"x1" with a two wire connector. A scan of the IHKA system will verify if this is the cause.

Here's how it works:

AUC SENSOR(V):

Automatic recirculated air control (AUC) is an additional feature controlling the automatic operation of recirculated air. The AUC feature uses an oxidizable gas sensor usually mounted behind the right side of the radiator or the right side upper portion of the fan shroud (samples air quality as coolant fan pulls across the radiator). The AUC sensor contains a combined heating element (powered by the IHKA module) and a gas sensor. The gas sensor requires heating to work efficiently. The sensor produces a varying voltage based on air quality (concentration of hydrocarbons, NOX, SOX, and CO). The voltage increases as the air becomes more polluted. After it reaches a preset value, the IHKA closes the fresh air flaps. To prevent glass fogging, the system has built-in time limits: 3 minutes when heating and 12 minutes when cooling. With normal air quality, the AUC sensor reads about 0.5V. If the AUC sensor voltage increases to 3.0V, the ventilation or fresh air flaps will close (0%). At about 2.5V, the fresh flaps will read about 20% and 100% (fully open) at 2.4V.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
FrozenHaxor

That's only used if he has set the recirculation in automatic mode, and he said he had it completely off and it made no difference, so that's an incorrect assumption.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
BMW-North

My Ride: __
Quote:
That's only used if he has set the recirculation in automatic mode, and he said he had it completely off and it made no difference, so that's an incorrect assumption.
I haven' t read the op say that at all. I saw you had told him to turn off auto but he never said that it was only that he'd check and three was no response.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
mp333

FrozenHaxor - I have not had the chance to check. Will update as soon as I can.

E46 & E90 Rocks
Old 06-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
mp333

Quote:
Frozenhaxor - It does not open when I have the three buttons on the left lit and recirc off as you suggested. I did remove the AUC sensor and cleaned it. Also replace the dried up foam.

E46 & E90 Rocks
Old 06-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
FrozenHaxor

The AUC sensor is only used when you have set recirculation mode to auto. It should open the flaps when the recirc is fully off regardless of it.

I have no idea why would it act like that, could there be something wrong with the flap actuator itself?

You've mentioned that the flaps open when the car is off. I believe they should close then, it's somehow inverted for you. Maybe someone who had closer previous experience with the blower motor and the actuators could share their thoughts. I was only there to spray in some evaporator cleaner, never disassembled it.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
mp333

So I did more testing...
I have tried all combination of switches. The only time I can get the flaps to open is when I turn off the AC. The flaps open with the recirc off. When recirc is on with AC off the flap closes. So it seems to work fine with the AC off. When AC is on cant get the flaps to open with recirc off.

E46 & E90 Rocks