E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
MikeyF0

My Ride: 2003 330i
Check Engine light

My check engine light came on today, the code was P0171. The worker at autozone said that it could either be the o2 sensor cause it did read bank 1. He said it could be the o2 sensor bad or the catalytic converter clogged and sending stuff back and what not. Also wondering if it is my catalytic converter could it at times send little white smoke through my engine compartments at times????
MikeyF0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Cats will last the lifetime of the car most of the time. I doubt they have any damage. The o2 sensors need replacement at around 100k.
The smoke could be due to bad ccv. If the valve or its toobs are cloged up, the fumes cant escape anywhere...

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
search for your code in thread title search.

See jfof's sig for ways to fix vac leaks...which is probably why you have a lean code...most common cause.

Take codes from Autozone...not their repair help.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
MikeyF0

What is a ccv? And what exactly could cause that cause i did lose oil and i had a oil change at 103,500 miles and im at 104,800.. And times do see little white smoke and i just dont know enough about e46's to know what all these things are. I'm new! Also thank you for taking your time to respond!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Welcome then.

Use the search option and you will find all the answers.

Ccv is same as PCV on other cars except its much more aggravating to replace then on any other car on planet

Google and search here...

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
OP, do not listen to the people at Auto Zone, there is a reason they work there, they can look up parts and run the cash register.

As for your problem, most likely a vacuum leak.

Really suggest you read over the first 3 links in my signature.

You also need a scan tool of your own so you can stay away from Auto Zone.

See this thread here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post15087698

A few hints, Intake boots, CCV lower oil return hose, DISA O-ring are some VERY common problems.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
MikeyF0

Thank you i'll look into it at those links!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Run your hand down the dipstick tube. You will find a hose attached to the tube. Follow the hose forward to where it should attach to the bottom of the CCV. I'd be willing to bet you find it broken. Replace the hose(s) on the CCV and you will probably cure your problems. This one is notorious for causing P0171 and P0174 codes. I spent a small fortune before I found this problem.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
They're bs'n you with the cat.

Clean your MAF and ICV, check the intake boots for any cracks/tears, check the secondary airpump hoses leading to the f-tube on the intake boot, and check the DISA's o-ring and the DISA itself for noise for starts

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyF0 View Post
My check engine light came on today, the code was P0171. The worker at autozone said that it could either be the o2 sensor cause it did read bank 1. He said it could be the o2 sensor bad or the catalytic converter clogged and sending stuff back and what not. Also wondering if it is my catalytic converter could it at times send little white smoke through my engine compartments at times????
P0171 means the car is running lean in Cylinders 1 - 3 (Bank 1, Sensor 1).
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
MikeyF0

Thank you all for responding! I'm going to take all of your advice and check all these things out this weekend!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
MikeyF0

Is the CCV hose in the middle? Hard to explain what exactly i'm pointing at but any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dipstick.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	494546  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Not quite. There are 4 hoses. One from the front of the cam cover, one from the rear, one from or to the intake manifold and one to the dipstick tube.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Check out this thread for the CCV DIY. Maybe it can help you identify what you are looking at.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=cvv+replace

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Vac Leaks are generally global, that is you should get both P0171 and P0174 when there is a vac leak. I don't know the plumbing, and I suppose there could be a leak that would affect the front bank or the rear bank, but not both banks, but I have no direct knowledge of such a leak.

Just giving some food for thought.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
MikeyF0

This morning it was the light white smoke and was making a crackling noise. I'm really nervous on the pricing and how serious the problem is if it is serious
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Tell us the car's history in detail first...miles, when you got it, what you've done already. The list of possible 'smoke' is short...

water vapor, oil, or coolant.

Only serious issue is 'usually' coolant or oil, coming from bad head/head gasket due to a prior overheating incident. If you're not losing coolant, that's good. If oil is 'in' coolant or vice versa, that's bad.

When do you get the smoke? How consistent is it? Try a bottle of Techron and a long drive (1 hour at least)...see what you end up with. That said, I think you should search for your symptoms using title search here. Read until you puke.

It could be just water vapor and you only need to drive it.

Could be clogged ccv and you only need to drive it.

Could be broken ccv--$150 in parts--4 hours diy the first (and probably only time you'll do it).

Don't worry about head/head gasket ($50-2500 depending on what it is and whether you diy it or not...$ are approximate...but probably close!)

Don't expect to get an answer here in this thread alone...you need to do a bit of reading...you need to puke! Sorry...I'm just the messenger!

...and welcome to fanatics, buddy. Don't let me scare you, btw...don't read any of my threads...you'll fn freak out!

smilie face

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Vertical_Flight

My Ride: '03 330i 6-spd ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyF0 View Post
This morning it was the light white smoke and was making a crackling noise. I'm really nervous on the pricing and how serious the problem is if it is serious
All just about how much of a "go-getter" you are....This site is a wealth of information, much more than you'll probably ever need. It's highly unlikely that you'll encounter a problem that someone else hasn't already tackled. Once you narrow down the troubleshooting to the "OK, which parts do I need?" step, do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy ANYTHING from the dealer! Check out BMA Auto, German Auto Solutions, etc. for the best prices that I personally have come across. I've only owned my 2002 325i sedan for a little over 4 months now, and since joining the forum I've been able to find a solution to every problem that I've had - and there were plenty, the previous owner did NOT stay up to snuff with his maintenance! Good luck, welcome to the forums, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
If you're willing to put some time into it (do google searches and searches on this forum) you can save yourself tons of cash by doing it yourself. Alot of the stuff sounds or seems like it's complicated but again, after reading the DIY's and watching vids, most of it isn't too bad.

Hey Stickbuilder, are you talking about just #4 vent hose or #4, #2, #7 and #3?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=11&fg=15
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
MikeyF0

Dmax I purchased my 330i when it had 99k. At around 102k miles my coolant tank was cracked and had to replace it. That was the only problem I've had with the car other than replacing the driver side regulator, also I installed a k&n air intake. That is all I've done. Like I posted earlier I did lose oil and at anytime it will have the smoke with a slight burning smell at random times. Most of the time it's just the light smell. Then this morning it started making the crackling noise pretty loud, ran normally. Then as I got back into it 5 hours later it didnt smoke or make the noise. Just smell. I have checked and there no oil In the coolant or vice versa there's so many things I just don't know where to even start it just seems so odd