E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #61
KhanArt

My Ride: 04 M3 JB/Cinn
Update (2/16/2013) Angel eye ballast/inverter replacement

A few weeks ago both angel eye rings on my drivers side went out at the same time. I did some research and determined it was the ballast/inverter. I contacted a good amount of vendors and they all said they do not carry these any more. I then went on Ebay and found a inverter. It took some time since it was coming from Hong Kong but it arrived a day ago. I purchased butt connectors as well for the install.

After inspecting the inverter I realized that the connections were the opposite of what I needed so instead of giving up I did a lot of wire cutting, stripping, and crimping and used the old inverters connections for a ghetto fix.

Not sure how long this will work for especially since it clearly stated not to extend or shorten the wires.. but it worked! I got all my angel eyes working again.

Edit: I read these catch fire sometimes..may have to upgrade to LED.

Last edited by KhanArt; 02-19-2013 at 09:13 PM.
KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #62
empirem3

My Ride: JB E46 M3
Great stuff! M is coming along very nicely.

empirem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #63
KhanArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirem3 View Post
Great stuff! M is coming along very nicely.
Thank you Sir It's a slow process..
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
KhanArt

Update (6/11/2012) Loose mirror repair and 3rd brake light cleaning

I did these DIY's soon after I bought the car but did not take any pictures and actually forgot about it. So for my record keeping purposes and possibly to help someone else out I have included some links I used.

I don't remember if it was my drivers or passengers side mirror that was loose but it bothered me. I followed this easy DIY and it made a noticeable difference.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=362013

Also another thing that bothered me when I first bought my car was the dead bugs in my 3rd brake light housing. I followed this DIY and removed the housing, cleaned it, and took the bugs out. Put it back together and much better!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=747373
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #65
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec

Whoa! How is your battery not arcing from the metal tie down touching the positive?

hi its me alec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #66
KhanArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post

Whoa! How is your battery not arcing from the metal tie down touching the positive?
I think that's just a bad camera angle there
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #67
KhanArt

Update (3/2/2013) CDV Delete

I wanted to work on the car so I figured I do the CDV delete which I never got to. I wanted to wait until I did my trans fluid and fuel filter so I could do all 3 at once but I couldn't wait.

DIY link for CDV delete:

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_cdv.shtml

My workspace

Under panels removed

During..

CDV

Removed

Panels cleaned and ready to go back on

Done

I can say there is a noticeable difference. Especially shifting from first to second. The wife will like this mod as well as me. I love how it changes gears smoothly now. This paired with the clutch stop mod and ZHP shift knob

Last edited by KhanArt; 03-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #68
KhanArt

Update (3/16/2013) Plasti dipped center console/Magic erased e-brake handle and steering wheel/Cleaned steering wheel stitching/M hat

I recently have been hearing a lot of fuss about plasti dip and people trying it on there interior trim. My center console was beginning to show it's age so I went ahead and tried it. Results weren't bad but some areas were clumpy and you could notice the texture of the plasti dip. I am only using this as a temporary fix as I already have my mind set on a new short style center console with armrest delete.

Plasti Dip thread:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=432557

Sorry all pictures were taken from a iphone so you can't notice the finer details.

Parts removed and cleaned.

Before

After

I saw this thread on Magic eraser so I wanted to give it a shot. I plan to get a Coby wheel in the future so this is just for the time being. I also cleaned the stitching on the steering wheel using another thread I found. Love how the wheel feels now. It is not shiny anymore and the colors pop on the stitching.

Magic erase thread:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=270389

Steering wheel stitching cleaning thread:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=374018

Steering wheel before shots.

Steering wheel and stitching after shots.

E-brake before

E-brake after

///M hat I got recently as a birthday gift

Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #69
KhanArt

Update (3/17/2013) Aluminum M pedals

Saw these pedals online and I thought they would look great on my black car. Haven't seen anyone with black ones and the price was fair so I purchased them. DIY wasn't bad but I would stress to be careful not to scratch the pedals.

DIY threads for install:
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_uuc_pedals.shtml
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569332

Before

Pedals

During

After

Last edited by KhanArt; 03-18-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #70
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Looks good bro.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #71
Jonshmoe

My Ride: (GONE)
Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
Nice build. Like the mixture of tasteful mods and maintenance in between .

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Jonshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #72
choegatz

My Ride: 2002 325xi
great cars, great thread!

Hope to see some more progress with the M
choegatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #73
KhanArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Looks good bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonshmoe View Post
Nice build. Like the mixture of tasteful mods and maintenance in between .
Quote:
Originally Posted by choegatz View Post
great cars, great thread!

Hope to see some more progress with the M
Thanks guys
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #74
KhanArt

Update (3/23/2013) Few detailing supplies from Detailers Domain

Detailers Domain was having a spring sale so I picked up a few items I needed. I already have a good amount of detailing products that I picked up from local parts stores over the years but slowly want to upgrade to better quality products. I heard good things about Griot's Garage and Adams for the price. I will continue to upgrade as I run out of my current products.

Hope to have a DA polisher soon so I can do my first paint correction.

Ran out of wheel cleaner so I picked up Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner, heard this is one of the better wheel cleaners out there.

It was taking me for ever to dry my cars currently and I read good stuff about this Uber Super Drying Microfiber towel. Drys the whole car in one shot without wringing (huge towel). This will save me a lot of time and I can blot instead of wipe the car down.

Finally the 2 bucket method can't be done right without a Grit Guard. Had to pick one up.

Can't wait for the weather to get better so I can start detailing.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #75
KhanArt

Update (3/24/2013) CPI RTX Section 1 videos

Jack from CPI will have these section 1 rasp terminators for sale soon so I went out and made a few videos.

Sorry for the poor quality iphone videos but you will get an idea how the RTX will make a stock E46 M3 sound. Basically no rasp and all motor.

Last edited by KhanArt; 03-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #76
KhanArt

Update (3/30/2013) CPI X-Stream section 2, CPI high flow drop in filter, heat gun.

I picked up a CPI X-Stream section 2 from Jack today and will test on my car with I have the RTX section 1. Hopefully will have dyno results next weekend. Lighter than stock section 2, SS replica.

Gaskets and hardware

I also picked up a CPI high flow filter from Jack. I will try to put this on the last dyno run to see if it makes any gains. I do not have a intake elbow yet.

Finally I had a Habor Freight gift card so I picked up this heat gun, probably will need it later.

Looking forward to the dyno day!

Last edited by KhanArt; 06-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #77
KhanArt

Update (4/6/2013) CPI X Stream Section 2, CPI high flow drop in filter, dyno testing

Was able to test the CPI X Stream section 2 today at a local dyno day held by Frank Smith along with the the CPI RTX I already have. I also tested a new CPI drop in filter I put in the last few runs.

Just as jack told me there should be gains in hp and tq in the upper RPMs, there was. But there was also a small gain in hp/tq in the mid range. I have included my last dyno with the RTX and the new dyno from today on the same graph. At the top end it is identical. I made 307.9whp before and I made 307.8whp today but you see the gains in hp/tq in the mid and upper RPMs on the graph.

Then on the last few runs I threw on the CPI drop in high flow filter and the car made gains in the upper RPMs. A gain of 7whp! I was not expecting that much from a filter. I am now highly considering getting a intake elbow.

I was expecting the sound of the car with the X Stream section 2 to increase but it really didn't. It may have increased slightly but very hard to notice. Still a very clean sound with no rasp. Also I noticed the car was slightly more peppy and I had a fun drive home but it's not a drastic difference plus I also had the help of a new CPI drop in high flow filter.

All in all I am very happy with how my car is running and sounding right now. Lighter than stock, hp/tq gains, good fitment.

Video of one the runs:

X Stream pics:

Last edited by KhanArt; 04-07-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #78
KhanArt

Update (4/14/2013) Tuning Tech Frank Smith Custom Tune

I have had my car dyno'd by Frank Smith from my first baseline to after each performance mod done on my car. It was during dyno'ing we discovered that my car had a tune by the previous owner, Frank believes it is a Active Autowerke's tune. Anyways I had some CPI performance parts added to the car and dyno'd after each but never had the opportunity to have Frank tune my car.

Well that changed today...

In short car has only:

CPI drop in filter
CPI RTX section 1
CPI X Stream section 2
Active Autowerkes tune (previous)
Tuning Tech Frank Smith custom tune (As of today)

I highly recommend Frank, he is a stand up guy. Even before today it was great talking and having my car dyno'd by him.

Here is my before graph from 2 weeks ago.. pretty damn strong for oem headers..

This is today with no change in parts just tuned by Frank Smith...HOLY :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: The bottom line is the baseline today before the custom tune, the top line is after the tune... Gains all though out the RPMs!!!

Last edited by KhanArt; 06-05-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #79
KhanArt

Minor update (4/18/2013) Frank Smith Custom Tune Review

It was a beautiful evening tonight, so I decided to take the M out for a spin. First time really driving it since the tune. Let me say if you could only do one mod to your car this would be it... at least performance wise. Best bang for your buck. It literally is a whole new car. Car idles smooth, pulls hard in every gear throughout the entire RPM range. I didn't even bother using the sport button or shifting past 8k. The SMG shift lights were a nice plus too. In a few weeks it will be one year owning this car and it feels like I got a new refined machine. If you are on the east coast I would highly suggest making the trip over. He can custom tune your car to your liking.

Last edited by KhanArt; 04-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #80
KhanArt

Update (4/24/2013) OEM 18 wheels with tires/DA Polisher/Camera

My front tires were in bad shape on my OEM 19's and I was planning on buying 2 Pilot Super Sports to replace them but a forum member offered me a set of OEM 18's with tires for a price I couldn't refuse. Wheels are in pretty good shape, slight curbage nothing serious. Tires have a lot of life but are on the cheap side. Doesn't matter got a great deal and I have 2 set of wheels now.

These wheels/tires have a smoother ride than my 19's, I assume because of the larger side wall. Also I do not rub with these wheels/tires, my previous set up rubbed on the passenger rear during hard acceleration.

On to the pics, haven't been cleaned yet. I plan to hit them with Sonax and some clay.

I also picked up a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital with some pads, compound, polish, MF towels. Don't know when I will have time for a detail/paint correction but will post before/after and 50/50 pics. Very excited to see the results!

Finally I picked up a Nikon DSLR camera so I can take some real pics. Hopefully this will be the last of the iphone pics. I need to get up to speed fast so I can start doing some photoshoots