E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
chazstace

My Ride: E46 328i SE
Red face Dynavin tmc upgrade and radio antenna upgrade. Done!

Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with various way of getting traffic information down to the dynavin sat nav, most of what i have tried cost money every month and are slow and complicated.

So in short I have come up with bespoke boosted TMC setup that WORKS!
I have also come up with a way to fix the poor FM reception that we get as a result of the dynavin upgrade.

The system is all hooked up on the car at the moment and its all working but its a mess and in bit's.

Once I have everything sorted I will post up again with pics and what I have done.

I have also put together a Budget GPS tracing system that again works and supports live tracking, and can also be used in the event of your car being stolen.

Watch this space.

Last edited by chazstace; 10-14-2011 at 04:10 AM.
chazstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Subbed.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Looking forward to it....

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
In
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
In for updates!!! I do listen to the radio occasionally and can't believe how much reception I lost from the stock radio

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
For you guys who are having bad radio reception, are you sure the antenna is connected correctly, or that you've actually connected the correct one?
I only ask because I've never had an issue with the Dynavin's radio reception, it's just as good as the factory radio.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Darkoz, what year is your E46?

Mines connected properly. If it's not connected, I get 0 reception. I would say the overall reception isn't bad when you're in an area with a strong signal. I notice the signal to dwindle away a lot when I am on the highways and passing along mountain sides where my stock one would stay strong.

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
^ 2001
Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
chazstace

Right guys, I did my 1st test last night.
I can confirm that TMC works 99.9% of the time, even down the motorway. so now Traffic over TMC is very useful. (no more 3G connections etc!)

The problem is that the stock TMC antenna that comes with the Dynavin is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, and you will not get reception of TMC unless you are on top of a transmission tower.

Pictures of home built amp.

Pictures of TMC being downloaded to Dynavin.

I'm working a little harder on the FM reception and waiting for a couple of parts to be delivered, hopefully this morning.

Once its done I will post up a video
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
johndddd

My Ride: 02 m-3
Does Trafficmaster work in the US or is it just for Great Britian?
johndddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Sub'd.

sent from my verizon HTC Thunderbolt using bimmer app.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
chazstace

Right its done I have TMC (Traffic) and all FM stations coming through loud and clear, once more with no unsightly after market antennas. I will post up a video and how it was done very soon.

I'm very happy with this setup, "Trafficmaster" is UK/Europe only I think however you will have a TMC provider in the USA etc, however I'm not sure what it is.

Last edited by chazstace; 10-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
glmark

My Ride: E46 Compact
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazstace View Post
Right its done I have TMC (Traffic) and all FM stations coming through loud and clear, once more with no unsightly after market antennas. I will post up a video and how it was done very soon.

I'm very happy with this setup, "Trafficmaster" is UK/Europe only I think however you will have a TMC provider in the USA etc, however I'm not sure what it is.
Well done, Please advise how you managed to do this, the radio reception is crap at the best of times as well as the TMC. Looking forward to your video.
Thanks
glmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
chazstace

I used a custom built booster from the Factory FM antenna connections on the rear screen, bypassing the factory AMP. The lower FM window antenna for TMC and the upper for FM Radio.

The amp is rated at 22db.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
glmark

My Ride: E46 Compact
Smile

Where did you buy the booster from. Did you use Two, one for the FM & one for the TMC.
Cheers
glmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
chazstace

The booster is a home built one, The booster can either be used on the TMC or the RADIO.

I used the booster on the Radio side because its more stable than factory, and I used the connection from the factory antenna to the TMC.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
chazstace

Diagram of booster wired into car.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Interesting thread, thanks chazstace.

I'm in the UK with an '04 Coupe and also have poor FM reception since the Dynavin install, and also non-existent TMC with the supplied aerial. At least I know it's not just me now!

I've actually been considering a roof antenna. I have a standalone DAB tuner feeding the Dynavin's aux-in, and already have a dual-band DAB/FM roof antenna on my other car, an E46 Touring, which works very well. the Coupe's lines would be spoilt more I think by a rod on the roof, which puts me off. If I did though, maybe I could use the rear window antenna for the TMC.

Or maybe I need to practice my soldering skllis and build my own antenna amp...
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
That's not exactly a "home built" booster. What kit did you use? Unless you had a PCB fabricated with part numbers and shield outlines and decided to build a box that fits everything perfectly.

Looks like it's using a single BJT. This box should have the coax in, two wires for power/gnd, and 2 wires coming out. Is that what you have there?

Also, how do you only have one box, but are able to boost the signal for both the upper and lower parts of the window? This doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by fadeaway; 11-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
chazstace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
That's not exactly a "home built" booster. What kit did you use? Unless you had a PCB fabricated with part numbers and shield outlines and decided to build a box that fits everything perfectly.

Looks like it's using a single BJT. This box should have the coax in, two wires for power/gnd, and 2 wires coming out. Is that what you have there?

Also, how do you only have one box, but are able to boost the signal for both the upper and lower parts of the window? This doesn't make sense to me.
Its a home build kit, you get them from a place called maplin here in the UK, however do a search on google and I'm sure you will find them.

There are 2 parts to the rear window, one used by the factory amp that I have left in place and the other connected to the new amp. Giving 2 feeds, one for Radio and one for the TMC.