E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I wouldn't hesitate to send my car to Vic at RDB. I've seen him turn widebody's around in a week or two.. amazing!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
Are you the first to run a 6766 with a QSV? I've heard mixed reviews about the QSV, I'm curious what your opinion is?
I think i am, I am not sure though. All I can say is when your on it, u f@$kn on it!! U feel it spool up very fast, but then again I have never had a 6766 turbo before either.
pilot1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
how much boost do you have the QSV to open up at?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
how much boost do you have the QSV to open up at?
Id have to ask Jim @ Saads, I know even without the QSV the 6766 turbo reaches full boost pretty damn fast. Mine is only set a 15lbs.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
dragosid

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
...I know even without the QSV the 6766 turbo reaches full boost pretty damn fast...
It has a lot to do with E85 as well... it's a know fact by now that E85 helps spool turbos faster.
Maybe Larry or others who have stats on E85 vs Pump Gas(Race fuel) spool times could post them here.

Pulled the trigger! Built engine + 6766 Dual BB + Open Dump + 15/23 PSI - Holy F#@$ this build is insane!

HPF Stage 2.5 - 739rwhp & 581ft-lbs SAE
best 1/4 mile (ST2) 11.77'@123mph 1.9' R/T on Toyo R888 295/30/19
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - stock
dragosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
DOC_Race

My Ride: 03 M3
In for dyno charts with the quick-spool setup!
DOC_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC_Race View Post
In for dyno charts with the quick-spool setup!
A properly set up QSV is incredible....a minimum of an extra 100hp at the same RPM.(in the 3500 to 4500 range) Am I correct?

Will someone help get me up to speed? So many builds, so many variables. my question is about QSV for E46 M3 Turbo builds. I thought it was impossible to physically fit a SP QSV on a bottom mount turbo....Something about it having to be a TOP MOUNT in order to fit. So, this is not the case?

What else? The turbo body has to be a twin scroll configuration? (a concept I still struggle with). WHat about the manifold requirements?

Isnt it a HUGE performance coup to run a QSV on our turbo cars? Why isnt every build striving to fit one? I must be missing information. Please help me understand.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-16-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
A properly set up QSV is incredible....a minimum of an extra 100hp at the same RPM.(in the 3500 to 4500 range) Am I correct?

Will someone help get me up to speed? So many builds, so many variables. my question is about QSV for E46 M3 Turbo builds. I thought it was impossible to physically fit a SP QSV on a bottom mount turbo....Something about it having to be a TOP MOUNT in order to fit. So, this is not the case?

What else? The turbo body has to be a twin scroll configuration? (a concept I still struggle with). WHat about the manifold requirements?

Isnt it a HUGE performance coup to run a QSV on our turbo cars? Why isnt every build striving to fit one? I must be missing information. Please help me understand.
+2, I'm also very confused, and interested in this whole QSV concept.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Basically...it spools the turbo faster by diverting the exhaust gases from all 6 cylinders through one port (divided housing have two ports...each port normally is mated to 3 cylinders in our application...dedicated but in this scenario is shared)...so double the exhaust gases through one port which spools it quicker...once a certain boost level is achieved (like 9psi or something) a bellows actuator will open the second port on the divided housing (thus not bottlenecking the exhaust gases...since at this point we have achieved quicker spool.

Essentially...it spools the turbo quicker

The key...Regular non-divided exhaust manifold...mated to a turbo with a divided turbine housing

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 08-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Bdave

Right! Yes, I got most of that part ... I have gone to SP website and watched their youtube videos. Very interesting. How the valve works is pretty easy to understand up to a point. See, I dont understand why a special turbo housing is necessary. If I saw a diagram I am sure the answer would be obvious.

I need to study the divided turbo housing more. That is where I get a little confused. That is what is called a "twin scroll" correct?

I still dont have an answer to how SAAD made the QSV fit. Post after post said it could not be done on our cars with a bottom mount turbo. I hope it has been proven to be untrue.n it has to be, since I see this build has an HPF cast mani.

The down side is two fold. The QSV itself is not cheap. PT does not make any twin scrolls correct? So the 6766 in this build was CONVERTED to a twin scroll?
Must have been. How much $'s?

The good news is that an HPF log or Steed mani can be used.
I just want to get a handle on this build. How did SAAD make the QSV fit? How much to convert the PT to a twin scroll? Not that I have any immediate plans, but this is all very interesting. Maybe sometime down the road...

Other than cost, wouldnt everyone (of us turbo FI) want a QSV? Sounds like a huge win. Supras and others have been using QSV's for a while. Why not BMW? Can the QSV be mated with larger turbos...71mm to 80mm?

Why hasn't Sound Performance done this many times already with E46 M3's? After all, they make the QSV, correct? If anyone could make it fit and work it would be those guys. Puzzling.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-16-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #31
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Right! Yes, I got most of that part ... I have gone to SP website and watched their youtube videos. Very interesting. How the valve works is pretty easy to understand up to a point. See, I dont understand why a special turbo housing is necessary. If I saw a diagram I am sure the answer would be obvious.

I need to study the divided turbo housing more. That is where I get a little confused. That is what is called a "twin scroll" correct?

I still dont have an answer to how SAAD made the QSV fit. Post after post said it could not be done on our cars with a bottom mount turbo. I hope it has been proven to be untrue.n it has to be, since I see this build has an HPF cast mani.

The down side is two fold. The QSV itself is not cheap. PT does not make any twin scrolls correct? So the 6766 in this build was CONVERTED to a twin scroll?
Must have been. How much $'s?

The good news is that an HPF log or Steed mani can be used.
I just want to get a handle on this build. How did SAAD make the QSV fit? How much to convert the PT to a twin scroll? Not that I have any immediate plans, but this is all very interesting. Maybe sometime down the road...

Other than cost, wouldnt everyone (of us turbo FI) want a QSV? Sounds like a huge win. Supras and others have been using QSV's for a while. Why not BMW? Can the QSV be mated with larger turbos...71mm to 80mm?

Why hasn't Sound Performance done this many times already with E46 M3's? After all, they make the QSV, correct? If anyone could make it fit and work it would be those guys. Puzzling.
It wasnt converted to a twin scroll. Precision turbo makes divided housing(twin scroll). I even had an H cover housing on the 6766 and still got the QSV to fit. So far it pulls really hard. Even though I have traction control it still burns my tires. In 2 weeks widebody + MT ET drag radials. Some say r888's, but I dunno. Sorry those are alot of questions and I just got off work and i am tired as hell. Peace

Last edited by pilot1ner; 08-17-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
str8dum1

if a bottom mount turbo can be mount 3/4" lower, then you can run the QSV. With the huge H housing, it sounds like there must be plenty of room under the car.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #33
pilot1ner

Quote:
if a bottom mount turbo can be mount 3/4" lower, then you can run the QSV. With the huge H housing, it sounds like there must be plenty of room under the car.
Not really, just barely fit.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
I find it amazing people still go to Gintani knowing they ruin engines and build kits like crap. There manifolds look cool. But that's all there doin is lookin cool.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #35
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I find it amazing people still go to Gintani knowing they ruin engines and build kits like crap. There manifolds look cool. But that's all there doin is lookin cool.
I forgot to mention they bent my control arms by putting straps around them when dynoing. wow! Their all in for taking your money though.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leletyM3 View Post
RDB did severa crazyl custom widebody!!! They work on high end cars and I am sure you can go wrong with them....just check out their work!!!

Hopefully you ll get your set up sorted out and run in full potential soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to send my car to Vic at RDB. I've seen him turn widebody's around in a week or two.. amazing!

Thank you brotha's!!!

Our site is www.RDBLA.com.
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
It wasnt converted to a twin scroll. Precision turbo makes divided housing(twin scroll). I even had an H cover housing on the 6766 and still got the QSV to fit.
Really? I wonder why SP went to considerable effort to convert Tom's turbo to a twin scroll. They had to source a housing outside PT to do this. Maybe it is because Tom has a 76mm turbo?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #38
str8dum1

To use the quick spool valve, you have to have a divided turbine housing. Obviously Larry wanted to use the QSV on Tom's 7675.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
Bdave

Quote:
To use the quick spool valve, you have to have a divided turbine housing. Obviously Larry wanted to use the QSV on Tom's 7675.
Sorry. I know all that. I am wondering why Larry did not just go to Precision Turbo. He indicated in his posts that he had to source a "hard to find" outside source for the housing.
I also was under the impression that PT did NOT have twin scroll housings. Until i saw pilot1ner's post, "Precision turbo makes divided housing(twin scroll).".

Unless someone can tell me different, I have to conclude that PT doesnt make twin housings for the larger turbos.
Larry wrote:"Tom has a 7675 turbo that we sourced a custom divided housing for and installed our SP QSV. The divided housings for the 75 turbine wheel turbos are very hard to find.... I could probably get a few more."

Last edited by Bdave; 08-26-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
str8dum1

You are correct, PTE does not make divided housings for all their turbos. The bigger the turbo the less likely they would be used in a twin scroll application. They make a divided housing for their large frame 71/ 76mm, the GT42 style. The 6262, 6266, 6466, and 6766 have them.