E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
Rotors alone cost me about $400 from R1
Wow.

Y???

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
Rotors alone cost me about $400 from R1
.....what? you could've gotten stoptech drilled rotors for less.
they're like $250 tops on the r1 site.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
I think he means $400 for all 4 rotors.

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

$400 for all four rotors is still extremely excessive. I'd expect these to cost about $10-15 each. Genuine BMW wouldn't even cost you $400 for all four corners. WTH?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i'll get back to you on the drilled holes versus cast holes because they have not replied to my email yet. i will not buy rotors that have been drilled.
I know both you and Mango mentioned cast holes vs drilled holes. Last I heard no company actually cast the holes into the rotor, they are all drilled. How they drill them and how they build them with the intention on drilling them is another story, quality does matter!

See thread here for more info (great discussion on the topic with Rob from UUC and member jpr):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449052
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post
I know both you and Mango mentioned cast holes vs drilled holes. Last I heard no company actually cast the holes into the rotor, they are all drilled. How they drill them and how they build them with the intention on drilling them is another story, quality does matter!

See thread here for more info (great discussion on the topic with Rob from UUC and member jpr):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449052
so then what's the difference between a drilled rotor that will crack and one that won't?
i was under the impression that brembos and such were cast with holes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
$400 for all four rotors is still extremely excessive. I'd expect these to cost about $10-15 each. Genuine BMW wouldn't even cost you $400 for all four corners. WTH?
Mango, I know you dont like these rotors, but cmon, you cant get ANY rotors for our cars for $10-$15 each.
98bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Wow there seems to be a lot of ignorant comments here as in people making comments about stuff and products they have no knowledge of. While I also have never heard of R1 Concepts I cannot base an opinion on them without knowing anything about them. If he spends his hard earned money that way go for it. Either way am I lost when I say that I thought drilled rotors were just that "drilled" ???

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMER View Post
Wow there seems to be a lot of ignorant comments here as in people making comments about stuff and products they have no knowledge of. While I also have never heard of R1 Concepts I cannot base an opinion on them without knowing anything about them. If he spends his hard earned money that way go for it. Either way am I lost when I say that I thought drilled rotors were just that "drilled" ???
Why shouldn't we be suspicious of parts that we have no knowledge of? I prefer to have an in depth understanding of not only how a specific component on my car functions, but also who manufactured it and how it was manufactured. Brakes are probably the absolute best example of this. I will ONLY install quality components manufactured by trust brands.

You mentioned hard earned money. If the money is so hard earned, shouldn't that necessitate a high amount of research into the matter before a purchase is made? Don't you want the highest value for your money? Certainly seems as though OP didn't care.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 08-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
Mango, I know you dont like these rotors, but cmon, you cant get ANY rotors for our cars for $10-$15 each.
Apparently, you've never heard of OPParts.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMER View Post
That is exactly why you should be suspicious of said generic brakes.

We're not talking about exterior mirrors here, we're talking about brake components. One of the single most important safety-related items on your car.

Would you trust generic airbags? or generic brake pedals?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #32
STORMER

I think the point is and you guys have said it, he spent his hard earned money which means he obviously did his research. If he wants to spend his money that way after doing his own research than thats his business.

I am quite sure there are standards and regulations that would have to be met in order to manufacture those items. Now that being said I absolutely agree that you can still buy "garbage" but he is the one who did the research and spent the money.

Maybe we have all just been introduced to a rising company with quality products?

But then again... maybe not

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #33
STORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Why shouldn't we be suspicious of parts that we have no knowledge of? I prefer to have an in depth understanding of not only how a specific component on my car functions, but also who manufactured it and how it was manufactured. Brakes are probably the absolute best example of this. I will ONLY install quality components manufactured by trust brands.

You mentioned hard earned money. If the money is so hard earned, shouldn't that necessitate a high amount of research into the matter before a purchase is made? Don't you want the highest value for your money? Certainly seems as though OP didn't care.
Ya be suspicious not belittling. I so curious than go do the research. Not tear down someones decisions until you know whether or not.

360+rwhp

Quote:
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
What's R1 concepts? is that an ebay company? La Habra? Were those holes drilled after the rotor was cast?
yeah there really seems to be no aftermarket company that makes the perforated rotors with the holes cast in them for the E46. i recall ads from TMS that the Zimmerman rotors had the holes cast but that seems to be inaccurate and later removed. several years ago jpr uncovered this long time mistake about cast holes. i was under that same impression that brembo and bmw motorsport ones were likely cast holes too. if anything new has been discovered i would be interested to review the findings.