E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
s4one

My Ride: e46
Need to repair subframe, options..

Just bought a e46 m3, rear subframe is cracked. I've done some research and have come up with a few options.

1. Weld reinforcement plates offered by several tuner companies
2. Obtain new OEM subframe and bolt it back on to the car
3. Both 1 and 2

If i go with choice one, will the car be able to drive for a long time with the welded reinforcement plates? This car will be a dedicated track car.

If I go new OEM subframe, the cracking issue is not solved just delayed.

Obviously installing a new oem subframe and welding the plates will be the bet but i gotta budget.

What do you guys think, is the reinforcement plates sufficient? I ask because the car is already "damaged" with the cracks, will welding the plates on be a band aid?

Thanks
s4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
Is the subframe cracked or is the subframe *mounting points* on the body cracked? The subframe itself almost never gets damaged so itself does not need replacement.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899
Need to repair subframe, options..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4one View Post
Just bought a e46 m3, rear subframe is cracked. I've done some research and have come up with a few options.

2. Obtain new OEM subframe and bolt it back on

If I go new OEM subframe, the cracking issue is not solved
If your mounting points on the physical frame of the car are cracked you'd be wasting money on a new subframe..

If your making it a dedicated race car and plan on possibly putting in a cage, you may consider holding off on the welding until you do a cage and get it all fixed and re-enforced all at one time. If you have no plans on doing a cage then keep your old subframe but just replace the bushings and welt in the reinforcement plates and also for added security you may consider doing the structural foam too..

GL !!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern2899 View Post
If your mounting points on the physical frame of the car are cracked you'd be wasting money on a new subframe..

If your making it a dedicated race car and plan on possibly putting in a cage, you may consider holding off on the welding until you do a cage and get it all fixed and re-enforced all at one time. If you have no plans on doing a cage then keep your old subframe but just replace the bushings and welt in the reinforcement plates and also for added security you may consider doing the structural foam too..

GL !!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Awesome thanks! I believe it is the mounting points. I wish to do the reinforcements and cage together but may have to spread out the timing due to budget.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
s4one

After looking around online, should I also change the subframe Rear bushing to urethane ones?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
If the mounting locations are tearing thats not a bolt on fix. They cut out the rear tub, and weld in a new one. Its very labor intensive, and requires removing the rear subframe, differential, etc. I wouldnt suggest poly bushings. That would transfer more energy into the mounting points instead of soaking some of it up.

Last edited by wilsel; 11-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.
wilsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
s4one

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsel View Post
If the mounting locations are tearing thats not a bolt on fix. They cut out the rear tub, and weld in a new one. Its very labor intensive, and requires removing the rear subframe, differential, etc. I wouldnt suggest poly bushings. That would transfer more energy into the mounting points instead of soaking some of it up.
Not sure if it's tearing but it has a crack, I am going to get reinforcement plates welded.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
2005blackm3

My Ride: s2000
any pic??
2005blackm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
s4one

I actually don't have a photo but the shop i go to did an inspection. The car is going to be a dedicated track car so I aim for extra stiffness in the chassis.