E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #61
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Totally incorrect. The spec means it's a 30W that's closer to a 40W in viscosity when most are at the low end of the SAE scale and closer to a 20W. It also means HTHS meets or exceeds 3.5 when the majority of XW30's are below 3.0, and so on. Typical comment from somebody who doesn't understand oil!
You can spew your silly numbers about "spec" and viscosity all you want. But the reality is the engine block of the BMW strait six that is used to this day has not changed all that much sing about 1992. And while I certainly wouldn't recommend it you can probably put just about any 5w30 oil in your engine and if you change it regularly it wont do any real harm.

The so called "Approved Oils" crap is pure marketing crap. Any high quality full synthetic with the right viscocity is going to do OK.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #62
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post
I switched to 5w30 for engine noise issues, it flows better then what the previous owners used.

And I originally bought my oil from the dealer, until I figured out what the rebranded 5w30 was.
You're not getting this are you? The BMW 5W30 isn't the same Castrol 5W30. The BMW 5W30 LL01 oil is nearly a 40W, has a HTHS exceeding 3.5, passes Sequence IIIF etc, unlike the other non BMW 5W30 which is a thin 30W, has a HTHS under 3.0 etc. they are totally different oils in every way
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #63
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Wow. You guys are lucky. Mine burns about 1 quart every 1K miles or so but I drive it hard too. Every now and then when I'm driving and blip the throttle with the clutch in, it'll puff a little bit of white smoke :S No leaks, no sludge on oil cap, CCV is fine.

My 330 burns, my dads old 330 did as well, as did my uncles 330 and X5 3.0. I just figured the M54s were thirsty SOBs...

But based on these replies I am genuinely surprised more of you aren't burning/burning more frequently between changes.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #64
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
You can spew your silly numbers about "spec" and viscosity all you want. But the reality is the engine block of the BMW strait six that is used to this day has not changed all that much sing about 1992. And while I certainly wouldn't recommend it you can probably put just about any 5w30 oil in your engine and if you change it regularly it wont do any real harm.

The so called "Approved Oils" crap is pure marketing crap. Any high quality full synthetic with the right viscocity is going to do OK.
And that my friend is the problem, most XW30's aren't the right viscosity (to thin). You, like all people that don't understand oil, made the mistake of thinking 5W30 is a certain viscosity when of course it's anywhere between a 20W and a 40W. And you ignored the HTHS spec which is more important than viscosity in an engine known to shear oil. If you don't understand something, best not to post as you just end up looking like a dill.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #65
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
You're not getting this are you? The BMW 5W30 isn't the same Castrol 5W30. The BMW 5W30 LL01 oil is nearly a 40W, has a HTHS exceeding 3.5, passes Sequence IIIF etc, unlike the other non BMW 5W30 which is a thin 30W, has a HTHS under 3.0 etc. they are totally different oils in every way
You'll have to explain what "HTHS", and "Sequence IIIF" are.. I'm not googling it.

As long at the specs fall within a certain range, they can be classified as 5w30. That's how manufacturing works. BMW is obviously on the high side, and Castrol on the low side of that range.

But you finally did a good job of explaining(mostly, ie: big words) what the difference is.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #66
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Actually it's Sequence VIII for High Temp./High Shear..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #67
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
I'm not sure what mine does. It's always had some sort of leak somewhere so I've never been able to truly tell what has been going on.

But leaks are (i think) fixed and we shall see what's going on. I know i've had to add 2 quarts since my last oil change ~3,000 miles ago

Quote:
You'll have to explain what "HTHS", and "Sequence IIIF" are.. I'm not googling it.
See, that's the wrong way to ask about things. Asking someone to thoroughly explain something because you refuse to just type it into google won't get you anywhere. You would have been better to just ask what it was and end it there.

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
RKiepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
See, that's the wrong way to ask about things. Asking someone to thoroughly explain something because you refuse to just type it into google won't get you anywhere. You would have been better to just ask what it was and end it there.
If he wants to be the E46Fanatics expert on oil, it should be obvious that nobody knows what the hell he's talking about. If he is willing to provide that information, I will gladly learn from it.

Otherwise, it doesn't affect me if I know it, or not. I don't tolerate being berated for my choice of engine oil, or anything else I choose to do with my freedom.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #69
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
#1) S50B30 and S52B32 and MY01/MY02 M54B30s are notorious for their heavy oil consumption, regardless of maintenance history. From my research, it is my personal opinion that the machining of the block and/or assembly of the cylinder head to block is to blame for the consumption. The oil is being burnt via excess gaps within the cylinder bore and oil control rings. It's a possibility that the cylinders weren't bored with the torque of the head in mind. In other words, once the head gets torqued down, I think the cylinder bore slightly changes shape. Of course, I'm not an engineer or expert, but these are my suspicions. You'll notice HPF puts a torque plate on the block, torques it to spec as you would a real head, and then the cylinders are bored out.

#2) The recommendation of proper ACEA A3/B3/LL-01 oil is NOT marketing. That is a huge pile of bullsh!t and needs to be stopped immediately. The oil is of a high-performance, extended drain interval spec and is formulated specifically for precision european engines. Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, etc. all spec this oil for their cars. As others have said, Castrol 5W-30 and Genuine BMW 5W-30 are NOT THE SAME. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE.

Genuine BMW 5W-30
Mobil 1 0W-40
Castrol 0W-30 European
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

These are some of the few oils approved by use in BMWs by BMW of North America. Period. No need to pay $9/quart for the WRONG American-spec synthetic oil when the PROPER OIL IS $7/quart at your local BMW dealer!

You're PAYING to use the wrong oil. Stop it already. End of DISCUSSION. No more barnyard speak.

Thanks to those who are speaking the truth.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #70
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
Absolutely and positively no. Please don't repeat this again. It's absolutely wrong.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
As others have said, Castrol 5W-30 and Genuine BMW 5W-30 are NOT THE SAME. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE.
Why does it say use Castrol oil on my engine's oil filler cap then?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #72
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
haha
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #73
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Because GoingNuts.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #74
sprintman

Quote:
Castrol that meets LL01. This really is so very simple
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #75
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Absolutely and positively no. Please don't repeat this again. It's absolutely wrong.
Ignorant people (not you obviously) guess and hope for the best. Smacks of insecurity, but whatever makes them happy.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #76
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
My e36 328is does not burn or leak oil despite 180k on the clock. My ZHP does not appear to burn/leak oil at 109k, but the jury is still out on that, not enough mileage on the first oil change I did to say one way or another. But it is still at the full mark after 2k miles and a track weekend.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love

Last edited by bigloser; 08-17-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added mileage
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #77
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay146992 View Post
My car has 272k miles and burns 1qt every 500 miles. No leaks. OFHG, VCG and oil pan gasket replaced at 220k. CCV replaced at 225k miles and made no improvement. My car has always used oil but it got a lot worse after 150k miles.
YOU have every right to burn all the oil you want with almost 300K miles on your engine!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #78
RKiepper

Quote:
This is an absolutely excellent point and question!! I have one of those caps sitting in my trunk!!

~ I said this would start a war.. I was right!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #79
sprintman

Quote:
This is an absolutely excellent point and question!! I have one of those caps sitting in my trunk!!

~ I said this would start a war.. I was right!
Maybe with dummies it might. Castrol that meets LL01 was recommended when the E46 came into being. There are about ten different Castrol 5W30 oils last time I looked, a few meet spec. And if you can't find LL01 oil, oil that meets ACEA A3, B3 is fine. It's all the owners manual too.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #80
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Mine drinks it. 2003 E46 M54 SE Coupe 2.2L. New CCV 24 months ago. Full dealership service history. No evidence of leakage. No fault codes. No compression issues. You'd think it was a two stroke. One litre evey 600 miles. Its nuts. Now got a 100K on the clock. Had 80K on it when I bought it. The oil consumption was the first thing I noticed about it when the orange light came on after 700 miles. Topped it up and took it back to the dealer who told me it was within spec. I didn't believe them and contacted BMW in Germany who told me the same. I had a 21 year old E35 M53 2.0L for 11 years before this one. Never used a drop of oil. Ever. I would change it once a year with filter and forget about it. But this one. Jeez. There's no point in having an oil change schedule, apart from the filter. By the time I have done 15K I have used 5 sumps full of oil topping up. Bloody ridiculous. Next oil chnage I am goping to go from 5W 30 to 5W 40 which are both in the manual. see if that makes any difference. The 5W 30 is like piss. So for all those who say oil consumption is not an issue I would beg to differ. (I do have a leaky CCV vent hose at the moment but the problem existed before that)
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote