E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
compcrasher86

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP Manual
Fuel Vent Elbow Rotted out

Edit2: codes seem to be resolved. Will update accordingly

Edit: Head to the end of the thread. P0455 gone and we've got P0171 and P0174 now

Hey guys I've had a CEL for an evap leak on my E46. My chassis is relatively clean but this piece in particular just rotted out

Its part number 16137177237 and it sits up in the passenger rear wheelwell. Part 14 on the realOEM diagram here

and here is what its supposed to look like new:

Its labeled as a distribution piece and it seems like its part of a fuel tank vent/purge. The metal looks cheap with little corrosion protection so I was wondering if anybody knew more about this elbow. Does it do any regulation/distribution or can its function be replicated by a T-fitting. I was wondering if I'd be better off sourcing a more robust fuel resistant fitting over ordering the original $30 elbow.

Last edited by compcrasher86; 11-02-2014 at 12:40 AM.
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
alan53

My Ride: bmw E46 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to alan53
Looks like its been in the sea for a while!I will check mine.
alan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
compcrasher86

I'd like to bump this thread. I replaced it a week ago with BMW dealer part and I've done ~400 mi, and the obd drive cycle at least 4times since then. Light is still on. Any suggestions where to look next? At least this part is nice and clean now. Code is P0455 by the way
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Possible smoke test with a cheap homemade smoke machine.

Possible pressure bleeder
http://www.motiveproducts.com
Pump up system and check for fuel leaks.

Visually search every line from front to back.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
compcrasher86

Just remembered about the purge valve under the intake manifold. I'll check the lines leading up to that. Am I right to assume that during leak testing the valve stays closed? Perhaps its stuck open? After that comes the smoke test, I was under it for a couple hours today poking at the lines, pulled the connectors off and conditioned the o-rings and reseated everything.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Honestly I forget. It's been 18 months since I was under the hood. My car has been as you see below and is in 100 parts in boxes.

Hopefully this weekend I get it back together
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
compcrasher86

Bump, maybe some more help?

Purge valve is closed with the car off so I know it's not locked open. No purge valve code so I'm assuming it's good. Checked expansion tank in wheel well, good. Brought it for a smoke test at my local specialty shop and they're convinced it's a combination of my DISA, intake boot, and CCV. I don't quite believe it because I doubt the LDP tries to pressurize the crankcase during a test.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
see my gas cap thread , the leak detection pump can go bad , #20

did you clear the light?

nm the above, your code is something else

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

i've read the purge valve can solve it

my guess is, if it were a line you would have gotten the (small leak ) code, this is the large leak code, i'd replace the purge valve after inspecting what you can of the lines

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 09-24-2014 at 04:31 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Bump, maybe some more help?

Purge valve is closed with the car off so I know it's not locked open. No purge valve code so I'm assuming it's good. Checked expansion tank in wheel well, good. Brought it for a smoke test at my local specialty shop and they're convinced it's a combination of my DISA, intake boot, and CCV. I don't quite believe it because I doubt the LDP tries to pressurize the crankcase during a test.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
lol, no

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 09-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan53 View Post
Looks like its been in the sea for a while!I will check mine.
he's in rochester ny, you wouldn't believe the sh!t they dump on the roads in the winter around here, def part of the problem

i won't drive mine in the snow, would be a fin nightmare , too many systems and parts

Quote:
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Replace the purge valve. It will seem fine but a new one usually fixes this fault. I've fixed quite a few this way.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
see my gas cap thread , the leak detection pump can go bad , #20

did you clear the light?

nm the above, your code is something else

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

i've read the purge valve can solve it

my guess is, if it were a line you would have gotten the (small leak ) code, this is the large leak code, i'd replace the purge valve after inspecting what you can of the lines
I checked out your thread. I've got a check cap light but its never come on before even with gauge check so I don't know if it was implemented in my 01. I'll have to check if the LDP actually runs, it seemed in such good shape when I pulled it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Replace the purge valve. It will seem fine but a new one usually fixes this fault. I've fixed quite a few this way.
I had the purge valve out of the car the other week and I attached a piece of hose to it and couldn't blow any air through it, so I figured it was sealing fine. Didn't bother trying to put power to it though to see if it opened. Anything else I can test on it or is it still suspect?

Also had this out of the car the other week and plugged up all the holes and checked for leaks, its holding air fine

Last edited by compcrasher86; 09-24-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
compcrasher86

Update: I pulled the fuel pump out the other day and reseated the gasket. I knew my fuel pump was replaced shortly before I purchased my car so it may have been an improper fuel pump install. We shall see if the light goes away. If not I'm almost positive it's one of the lines from the rear wheel well to the tank itself. Those don't look too fun to replace.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Don't just buy a new evap purge valve, test it first.

To test the evap purge valve, just apply 12V to the leads and you should be able to blow through it. Then remove the 12V and it should close immediately. It is a "normally closed valve" which needs power to open.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Don't just buy a new evap purge valve, test it first.

To test the evap purge valve, just apply 12V to the leads and you should be able to blow through it. Then remove the 12V and it should close immediately. It is a "normally closed valve" which needs power to open.

I know when the engines off I can't blow through it. I'll pull it this weekend and jump the leads and see if it's got some kind of delayed close or if it's not working properly.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
compcrasher86

I also noticed the filler flange was a bit oxidized so I took a piece of scotch brite and cleaned it up real quick after work. I'm really hoping its something silly and simple like that.

Last edited by compcrasher86; 10-28-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
You can test the valve all you want and it will seem fine. Replace it and see if it solves the issue. I've seen a lot of them do this and they test fine. A new one usually fixes it. If you can find a friend with the same car and swap them.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
You can test the valve all you want and it will seem fine. Replace it and see if it solves the issue. I've seen a lot of them do this and they test fine. A new one usually fixes it. If you can find a friend with the same car and swap them.
Did some reading around and I saw the same thing, tests fine outside the vehicle but the valve sticks inside the car. I guess if the electrics are still working fine the computer won't throw a purge valve specific code. So I just put in an order for a new valve and it'll be here next week probably. Thanks man, hopefully THIS will do it
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
compcrasher86

Update. I scanned the codes again and there's no record of the P0455. I had p0171, p0174, and p0313. Cleared them both and did some more driving. Half the monitors are ready and I have a pending code for p0171 and p0174 now. So it looks like she's running lean now.

So far I've replaced the full CCV, lower intake boot, ICV boot, rebuilt the DISA with a fresh o-ring from GAS as per recommendation from my shop. I notice a rough idle on a cold start and it settles out after a minute and runs great and idles smooth until the next cold start. I haven't had these codes before and the seemed to show up after I did all that work. Ideas? Maybe I messed something up

Last edited by compcrasher86; 10-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
compcrasher86

Ran a second drive cycle and the light came back on while I held a constant 25mph for 3 minutes. I couldn't run diagnostics while driving but once I got it home totally warm idle I was seeing fuel trim of 0-3% for the short term on both banks and 7.8 and 9.4% bank 1 and 2 accordingly for the long term fuel trim. Sprayed some carb cleaner around key areas like DISA and intake boot trying to get some idle fluctuation but saw nothing, as expected because those are new parts. Pulled the upper intake boot and checked for leaks. Checked the new lower intake boot and it's seated properly. Blew into the plastic line on the F-connector and it was airtight. Blew on the other f-connector hose and got a fair bit of resistance but it still was letting a little bit of air through. Checked the dipstick CCV drain hose and it's still seated properly. The new dipstick is seated and doesn't appear to be leaking any oil. Popped the CCV hose up front by the vanos cover and blew into it and heard oil bubbling with low resistance. Does any of this help or is there elsewhere you guys would look? I don't know how long I've had the lean codes but the Evap leak had been gone long enough that it cleared itself from memory.