E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Go with Akebono, ATE or Textar.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
fanatic128

My Ride: 2005 330i
Well, I have thermaquiet from wagner that come with lifetime warranty. Might as well keep them..I was thinking of returning them. How do
they stack up to these?
fanatic128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
no experience with them.
I'd go with pads that someone here actually used and recommends.
Like the Axxis Metal Masters that you posted the URL for.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Zimmerman is not OEM, but they are high quality. Pads can be fought about for days. One main thing often not mentioned, ceramic pads will not stop as well as OEM pads or their peers. They just won't. Figure a 10% increase in stopping distance and 15% decrease in the feel of stopping force.

TireRack is a great source too. I've heard great things about the cryogenically treated Centric blanks.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
fanatic128

OK..went with Axxis/PBR Metal Master Brake Pads and zimmerman rotors
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
Grande D

Solid choice!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
fanatic128

Well, I received my rotors from BMA and I have to say I'm not too thrilled! I intend on calling them tomorrow. They looked scratched to me.I know they come with a protective film so I cleaned them with some brake cleaner but they still look scratched to me. How do I know that they are even Zimmerman? I just see Made in Germany and the Min wear. They also look grayish to me and not the shiny metal, is that normal for a new rotor? Sorry, but I've just never ordered new rotors before and I'm just trying to make sure I received what I ordered.

Last edited by fanatic128; 08-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic128 View Post
Well, I received my rotors from BMA and I have to say I'm not too thrilled! I intend on calling them tomorrow. They looked scratched to me.I know they come with a protective film so I cleaned them with some brake cleaner but they still look scratched to me. How do I know that they are even Zimmerman? I just see Made in Germany and the Min wear. They also look grayish to me and not the shiny metal, is that normal for a new rotor? Sorry, but I've just never ordered new rotors before and I'm just trying to make sure I received what I ordered.
I ordered Textar Pads & Zimmermann rotors about 3 or 4 months ago from BMA, with no issues (though I later swapped my Textar pads for Ate but that is another story). The rotors should come in regular brown cardboard boxes with a big Z on the side in black IIRC. There might be some red somewhere on the boxes as well.

Also, the rotors are supposed to be dull and not shiny. The brake pads actually gripping the rotor during normal use will make them shiny.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
choxor

My Ride: JDM
The instructions tell you NOT to clean the coat-Z off the rotors. And yes, they are supposed to be grey.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #30
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Didn't you see the paper on the boxes that said Zimmerman and specifically said NOT to clean the rotors?

Unless you used an abrasive, you probably didn't remove the coating, so the rotors are fine.

There may be some minor scuffing or imprinting from the box. The rotors are not individually packaged so some wear will occur in shipping.

Post pics if your concerned still.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #31
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
i have heard many accounts (maybe over 50%) of people with zimmerman rotors reporting "warping" under normal driving.
if i didn't read such a large quantity of bad reviews from them i would buy them today.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I've bought Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors several times from BMAParts.
They came in orange boxes that said Zimmerman all over them. Blanks I do not know about. You can see the machine markings on the rotor sweep areas, not sure if that's what you're referring to?

If you're a novice on installing you should read up prior or in some cases have someone else install and properly "bed" them in.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i have heard many accounts (maybe over 50%) of people with zimmerman rotors reporting "warping" under normal driving.
if i didn't read such a large quantity of bad reviews from them i would buy them today.
I've used them for over a decade on my BMWs. Never had a crack or warped rotor. Warping btw you'll hear is mostly mistaken for pad deposits left on the rotor face causing high/hot spots. Some companies like StopTech post there is no such thing as "warping". But I have seen this in extreme conditions with poor quality rotors. (also people who drive automatics). It's just not nearly as common as people on the street use the term.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #34
fanatic128

Well, I see one piece of paper that has a picture which says to not clean and then install instruction say to carefully clean the rotors before install(So which one is it? I happened to read that one first). I just cleaned only with cloth and brake cleaner. Hopefully it didn't do anything. And anyway won't that coating be removed once that pads start rubbing on it anyway?

Last edited by fanatic128; 08-23-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #35
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic128 View Post
Well, I see one piece of paper that has a picture which says to not clean and then install instruction say to carefully clean the rotors before install(So which one is it? I happened to read that one first). I just cleaned only with cloth and brake cleaner. Hopefully it didn't do anything. And anyway won't that coating be removed once that pads start rubbing on it anyway?
The Zimmerman rotors are supposed to be gray, that is the Z coat. And yes the pads will remove the coating where they contact, everywhere else will remain coated.. Hence no rust. You are not supposed to clean them prior to install, hopefully you did not remove the coating in the non pad area.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #36
fanatic128

Guess I answered my own question. I just cleaned where the pads will rub and not the whole rotor.
areas where the pads don't wipe, e.g. the vents, hub etc I did not touch.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #37
Grande D

Make sure you get some Les Schwab or Achilles tires to go with them sikkk Amazon rotors bro.

In all seriousness, go with Brembo, Centric, Zimmerman, ATE, etc. Someone with a name to put behind the product. And just stay away from drilled.

BTW Turner is a good company, and nothing they sell is of poor quality. Slotted rotors are fine- just a little harder on pads than blanks.

Last edited by Grande D; 08-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #38
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
^ what's wrong with Zimmerman drilled?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #39
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Warping btw you'll hear is mostly mistaken for pad deposits left on the rotor face causing high/hot spots. Some companies like StopTech post there is no such thing as "warping". But I have seen this in extreme conditions with poor quality rotors. (also people who drive automatics). It's just not nearly as common as people on the street use the term.
Dinan mentions on their site that incorrect torquing of wheel bolts can warp rotors. Keep away from that impact driver!
Agree with you on all the rest of the Stoptech white papers.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
^ what's wrong with Zimmerman drilled?
Drilling increases the potential for stress cracks to develop near the holes. This can lead to larger rotor cracking as reported by some users. Most don't experience this.

On another note, manufacturers such as Mercedes or Ferrari will put drilled rotors on their cars. They do admit it is for show and not performance.
When they race their cars, they use plain rotors.