E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #41
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Dinan mentions on their site that incorrect torquing of wheel bolts can warp rotors. Keep away from that impact driver!
Agree with you on all the rest of the Stoptech white papers.
Yes! great point on warping rotor (and wheel faces) with impact wrenches.

Quote:
Drilling increases the potential for stress cracks to develop near the holes. This can lead to larger rotor cracking as reported by some users. Most don't experience this.

On another note, manufacturers such as Mercedes or Ferrari will put drilled rotors on their cars. They do admit it is for show and not performance.
When they race their cars, they use plain rotors.
I am not saying I don't believe they said that. But have yet to see any car company state this. Could you link me to them saying this.
Porsche and BMW have posted several things on it. BMW's standpoint has been its for performance. Mostly weight savings and also wet weather. The euro E36 M3 got the cross drilled rotors. USA didn't get them because people complained of the rougher sound/pedal feedback.
M3 CSL with compound x-drilled brakes out brakes the Porsche 911 GT3 with one of the best braking specs of its class.

I'm not getting into the debate, it still goes on today with both sides points compelling and no end in sight.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #42
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

I am not saying I don't believe they said that. But have yet to see any car company state this. Could you link me to them saying this.

I'm not getting into the debate, it still goes on today with both sides points compelling and no end in sight.
Oh you're in the debate now my friend!

Quite a bit of support info here, and directly quoting Porsche and Ferrari:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1437513

Read more:
http://www.xtremeimportperformance.c...ed-rotors-myth
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #43
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Oh you're in the debate now my friend!
Quite a bit of support info here, and directly quoting Porsche and Ferrari:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1437513
Read more:
http://www.xtremeimportperformance.c...ed-rotors-myth
Sorry I've seen all that and then some in decades of car magazines, books and car forums. I appreciate you're effort on the debate.

But I just wanted to see the link to Porsche and Ferrari saying what you said. Maybe I missed it. I just wanted to see/read it. I read your links but could not find their post saying this. Only someone saying they did as you are now. That's all
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #44
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Sorry I've seen all that and then some in decades of car magazines, books and car forums. I appreciate you're effort on the debate.

But I just wanted to see the link to Porsche and Ferrari saying what you said. Maybe I missed it. I just wanted to see/read it. I read your links but could not find their post saying this. Only someone saying they did as you are now. That's all
everything is not online

I heard or read that the head of ferrari racing made the statement that I quoted. Would not stand up in a court of law, but sometimes you just have to temper life with your own interpretation and judgement.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
Alex323Ci

Quote:
everything is not online

I heard or read that the head of ferrari racing made the statement that I quoted. Would not stand up in a court of law, but sometimes you just have to temper life with your own interpretation and judgement.
Like I said, I have never seen a car company state that and I guess I still can say I have not seen it. But thanks for being honest enough to state you can't find the info to back up the statement(not that you're saying it's never been said). Too often people would just run around the question at hand but you answered straight away and no round and round posts about this changing the thread. I applaud you.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #46
fanatic128

My Ride: 2005 330i
Here is a picture of rotors I ordered . I don't like how drums are scratched. what u guys/gals thinks?

fanatic128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #47
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I think Turner sums up the drilled/slotted/blank debate nicely:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-bu...ke-rotors.aspx

And because I'm a completionist, here is their pad guide:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-bu...rake-pads.aspx

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #48
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
The drums being scratched is normal. Seen that on many zimmerman blanks with coat-z that I sold.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #49
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
How bad are those scratches? Just superficial? Try rubbing them off with a damp cloth or something.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

It's probably just the coating scratched off a bit, no impact on the rotor itself.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #51
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Jeez those are some blurry pics. I take it around the hub is where you tried to "clean" the coating off.

But yes, those look like Zimmerman rotors. Even though the pictures were taken with piece of toast.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #52
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic128 View Post
Here is a picture of rotors I ordered . I don't like how drums are scratched. what u guys/gals thinks?
Could you now show us the real pictures you took so we can give you our real opinion??
Too bad you got a camera with no focus.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Crap I wasn't trying to start anything. Generally the aftermarket drilled rotors are of poorer quality than OE drilled, so to err on the side of caution stay away from them (on our cars). Isn't that fair?

fanatic: in two weeks that surface will be starting to rust. Shipping rotors is hard to do because shipping companies suck. Let it go.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #54
fanatic128

here is where I wiped. Those scratches were there already.

Sorry my iphone camera is not that great I guess. You can actually see where I wiped in the first set of
photos I uploaded. It's rotor standing upright. You can see bottom right is a little darker but
I'm not too worried as that is where the pad will go. I live in Florida anyway, don't have to deal
with the snow ice and salt they put on the roads. And my baby is garage kept

Last edited by fanatic128; 08-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #55
fanatic128

I plan on installing these today. We are suppose to get a hurricane so I'm just gonna enjoy the rain and work on it in my
garage. Drink some beers!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #56
Stinger9

It's just difficult to gauge the scratches, even from a good photo.
If you can feel meaningful scratches on the surface where the pads contact the rotor, I'd sand them down to where they would not tear into the pads.
Could use some medium wet sand emery paper.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #57
fanatic128

How do I get rotor off. It's not moving at all. Think it's seized ! Any tricks?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #58
Stinger9

assume you have the retaining bolt removed?
And of course the caliper removed?

Then your rotor is just rusted on.
Takes a lot of force. Try a rubber mallet first to bang it off around the perimeter.
Next try a heavy hammer with a wood block to do the same.

Some have whacked real hard and still had to get more brutal.

Some have even had to go to whacking with a sledge without the wood block.
If you go that drastic, you are closing off the possibility of putting things back together to drive to the dealer to let him do it.
Because the rotor gets damaged.

Guess even those mild Florida climates without snow and salt can still be corrosive!

Last edited by Stinger9; 08-25-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #59
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic128 View Post
How do I get rotor off. It's not moving at all. Think it's seized ! Any tricks?
Wooden block + hammer to the tip of the rotor = win
Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #60
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Yes, you need to whack it from the back outwards first using a rubber mallet. If that doesn't work, then heavy metal hammer with wood block, then sledge hammer. One of those methods will likely work.