E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
sahib

My Ride: Carbon/Cinnamon///M3
M3 Navigation for a non-navi M3

First Id like to apologize for my inability to properly use the search tool....so if there is a forum on this a like would be appreciated...

Is it possible to install a stock navi on a bmw M3 that didnt come with the stock navi with the car?
sahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
It's posiible and others have done it but it's very expensive and a lot of work.

Here's an excellent DIY from another member who's done it.....
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/Ultim...rofitPart1.pdf
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/Ultim...rofitPart2.pdf
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
MusII

My Ride: Looking for an M3
What about putting a screen in? Possible to control the radio that way?
It looks a lot better...
MusII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
WytLytnyn

My Ride: 2005 M3 6MT
I've got the NAV and have only owned the car for a month. It's nothing spectacular. Matter of fact, its not as good as the current Lexus nav system, not even close.
WytLytnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WytLytnyn View Post
I've got the NAV and have only owned the car for a month. It's nothing spectacular. Matter of fact, its not as good as the current Lexus nav system, not even close.
how would you like to swith for a business CD then?

free of charge
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
taylorwilsdon

My Ride: BMW M3
There's an easier way to wire up the nav. Instead of routing wires to the trunk, mount the MKIV unit in the glove box or passengers side footwell. That way, you don't have to remove your interior, seats etc...

I can retrofit an OEM or aftermarket navigation in an afternoon with no trouble.
taylorwilsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahib View Post
First Id like to apologize for my inability to properly use the search tool....so if there is a forum on this a like would be appreciated...

Is it possible to install a stock navi on a bmw M3 that didnt come with the stock navi with the car?

Try going to this thread for more information on retrofitting OEM Navigation...

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=237598

Good luck on the install
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
There's an easier way to wire up the nav. Instead of routing wires to the trunk, mount the MKIV unit in the glove box or passengers side footwell. That way, you don't have to remove your interior, seats etc...

I can retrofit an OEM or aftermarket navigation in an afternoon with no trouble.
You are kidding right?
Why not just velcro it onto the dash or pehaps just chuck it on the paseenger seat, any other ghetto ideas you wanna throw out there?

Last edited by Darkoz; 07-10-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
david @ eas
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Yes you can retrofit the OEM navigation into your E46 M3, but, like most people said it does cost some time to install, and money. Here's the link if you want to get the OEM Navi:

BMW - Navigation retrofit kit for e46 3-series & M3
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=616

Features
- 16:9 Widescreen Monitor w/ CD slot, as found in MY03+ vehicles
- Newest BM53 radio tuner, compatible with both AUX and Sirius satellite radio
- Perspective view enabled - Turn-by-turn graphical and voice confirmations
- POI and alternate routing available
- Complete directly listing of US, along with restaurants, parking garages, ATMs, fuel stations and more
- SMS Text messaging for those equipped with Bluetooth systems (requires compatible carrier/phone)
- Upgradeable to reverse camera systems and TVonNavigation systems

If you have any questions, send me a PM
david @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Keep in mind that the screen in the dash for OEM Nav is only a control screen and CD player. The screen head unit does not contain the Nav computer nor does it contain the the radio tuner(!). Both the Nav screen and the radio tuner are in the trunk for Nav systems. In the Business CD, the radio tuner is in the head unit. Retrofitting the Nav unit is a big job. You can't just put the Nav computer in the glove box, the wiring harness won't connect the radio tuner or the Assist/Bluetooth module (which is also in the trunk) if you want Assist/Bluetooth.

Read the DIY posts carefully. It can be done, but it is a big job and it's expensive.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Ingenere

My Ride: M3, 348 SS, SL55
Send a message via Yahoo to Ingenere
That is a pretty pricey toy!

I think I would rather have a set of coil overs, sway bars and some track days.... and use a Garmin Nuvi for the few times I actually can't figure out where I am going!

Ciao.........Dino
M3... Tuned to 370 hp & delimited
SL55 AMG... Tuned to 550 hp & delimited
TR (sold)
Ferrari Challenge Stradale
F40 (sold)
March/Cosworth Indycar
Ducati 916
Mini Cooper S...Tuned to 185 hp

www.veloceperformance.com
Ingenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
parad0x

My Ride: E46 M3 Jet Black 6sp
have you concidered putting in an aftermarket NAV system? It is far superior in terms of options, quality, features, and it'll prob even come with warranty and installation will probably be easier too.. any real sound/audio store can easily do a clean installation for you, just purchase one of the newer widescreen/inscreen faceplates for the E46 chassis and it'll look just as clean/OEM finish as what you are talking about doing now.. it'll probably be cheaper too
parad0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
taylorwilsdon

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
You are kidding right?
Why not just velcro it onto the dash or pehaps just chuck it on the paseenger seat, any other ghetto ideas you wanna throw out there?
Uh, what? Clearly you've never worked on one of these cars or you wouldn't call that "ghetto". The MKIV can be mounted completely out of sight and reach behind the glove box in the passengers side footwell or, for those who don't use their glove compartment, in it.
taylorwilsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
AHEAD OF THE CLASS

My Ride: M3, Ducati 848, RR
Send a message via AIM to AHEAD OF THE CLASS
it takes alot of time an money i spent close to 3500 dollars for everything when the shop installed it, i had extra parts lefted over just because i didnt want to go in an they tell me that i was missing something. If i could do it again i would have went with the best aftermarket dont waste your money
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by profM3 View Post
Keep in mind that the screen in the dash for OEM Nav is only a control screen and CD player. The screen head unit does not contain the Nav computer nor does it contain the the radio tuner(!). Both the Nav screen and the radio tuner are in the trunk for Nav systems. In the Business CD, the radio tuner is in the head unit. Retrofitting the Nav unit is a big job. You can't just put the Nav computer in the glove box, the wiring harness won't connect the radio tuner or the Assist/Bluetooth module (which is also in the trunk) if you want Assist/Bluetooth.

Read the DIY posts carefully. It can be done, but it is a big job and it's expensive.
ProfM3's correct on all counts. It's also one of the few mods that increase resale value.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #16
M3_WC

My Ride: M3 Vert
Just go aftermarket double din.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
arrogant

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
I just got a sweet M3, I'm looking at replacing the factory stereo with this TOTL Pioneer unit. Avic-Z110BT

It's pretty wide, and looks like it'l take up most of the room. Here's a photoshopped pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3-Pioneer Avic-Z110-BT.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	330191  

2004 M3 Convertible pics
2004 Jeep Wrangler X pics

2008 BMW M3 Sedan pics
2001 911 Turbo pics
2002 Porsche 911 C4S pics
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2000 Porsche Boxster
2000 BMW 323i
1992 BMW 325i

Last edited by arrogant; 09-03-2009 at 12:03 AM.
arrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
parad0x

My Ride: E46 M3 Jet Black 6sp
good photoshop, but should have lowered the climate controls unit into the place of the storage unit, I believe that is what most people end up doing when they do the conversion.
parad0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #19
arrogant

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by parad0x View Post
good photoshop, but should have lowered the climate controls unit into the place of the storage unit, I believe that is what most people end up doing when they do the conversion.
PIC UPDATED!! For $400 it also has a rear-view camera with parking assistant:

ND-BC20PA
Universal Rear-View Camera with Parking Assist
Rear-View Camera with special Visual DSP processing, providing image correction, parking assist modes and more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3-Pioneer Avic-Z110-BT.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	330192  

2004 M3 Convertible pics
2004 Jeep Wrangler X pics

2008 BMW M3 Sedan pics
2001 911 Turbo pics
2002 Porsche 911 C4S pics
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2000 Porsche Boxster
2000 BMW 323i
1992 BMW 325i

Last edited by arrogant; 09-03-2009 at 12:05 AM.
arrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #20
towlie

My Ride: 02 ///M3
That photoshopped pic won't fit easily. You won't be able to make a bezel cheaply either.

What you really should do is buy a double din kit, theres a great one off ebay for $240 shipped/paypald. Don't forget the HVAC relocation unit, EAS has them. Also get a pac ice unit or something (forget the name) for the steering wheel controls. Find a unit that does fit in there and use that one. I use the Kenwood 7120 (the 8120 is used stock on the ferrari or lambo). Its an incredible unit with everything I need and more. The iPod control is awesome and the nav is the easiest I've ever used. I also have the sirius and all the other cool stuff. I had it on my 325ci and I am going to slap it into my M3 soon. I miss it so damn much. I don't think it has the rear view camera, but the M3 has the sensors and you have your eyes.

Anyways, that photoshopped pic won't be an easy one to do. Get a prefab kit and buy a unit that fits. Don't look for the cheapest unit either. Its an M3 not a honda.
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote