E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Marmaz16

My Ride: 02' E46 325i
Question Electrical Issue/Alternator/Battery/HELP!

Hey there sorta new to forums, been a lurker for a while. I have searched i have done some repairs to my vehicle to here is my story.

My e46 is having a charging/electrical issue. I originally had the red battery warning lights last week. So i thought alternator or battery. i got both checked at autozone said were fine but i went ahead and replaced the Alternator. The battery charged fine but it possibly could be old and dead as well.

Now with new alternator it does not keep a charge, same issues except no red battery light. The volts just drop. I have a charge the battery and the Volts slowly drop when it is running. I left the car sit running for 20+mins and eventually died and would not restart, low voltage read out in dash. i used the whole OBC 19 then 9.0 to read volts.

I have been reading and few possibilities and i need some clarity. I read it can possibly be the Final Stage Regulator? About month or more ago my A/C and vents completely stopped working and i found that may be cause, but German engineering caused the issue to fix itself in 3days.

It can also be a bad ground or wiring issues. the battery tray and inside the engine bay wires seem fine, no abrasion or corrosion and tight fit. So idk if its under the car or the ground running from engine bay to the battery?

Any ideas? suggestions? or should i just take it to the damn Stealer ship already?
Marmaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
how old is the battery?

the FSR does contribute to the draining of the battery, I would just change that also since is showing failure signs.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Marmaz16

I honestly dont know how old it is. I was lookign for a sticker or tag on the battery to no avail. I bought the car 2 years ago, has low miles 65k and its a 2002. It may have never been changed. Any markings on it i could look for? Again i got it trsted at Autozone and charged and they said it was fine.
Random but apparently the ppl at autozone have never seen a BMW battery before, thought it was futuristic...
Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well that definitely sounds like a charging issue. the car should be getting power from the alternator when running. since it isn't it appears that it's drawing from the battery until dead. when you replaced your alternator did you use the old regulator or did they supply a new one?
First thing I would check is the ground wires on the alternator and engine.
Check the wiring on the alternator harness.
Sorry I cant be more help but those places could be the easy find.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Engine to body ground strap, usually has problems on the body side. It is near the passenger side motor mount.

Also make sure your FSU is not an issue, search FSU on the forum here.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=ground

Also check my signature below for the Hidden OBC menu link, bring the charging Voltage directly up on your dash. 13.2 Volts or higher on the OBC display usually means a good alternator. Note that I allow for 0.3 Volt drop within the car, at the battery you should have at least 13.5 Volts when the engine is running.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Marmaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
when you replaced your alternator did you use the old regulator or did they supply a new one?
I put in a new alternator
Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Marmaz16

Minor update. Took bimmer to local trusted mechanic near my house. I was able to jump it and get it there. He took a look at it while at work checked new alternator any power issues or drains. couldnt find any generic codes or errors. One weird issue he found was when he disconnects the alternator the bmw computer shows that the car is getting charged or charging. So he suggests that it could be a electric/computer issue and To go to a local dealer and have them either read diagnostics and see what they may find or that the internal Pc may need to be reset. or in worst case completely shot....

Idk is any of this info is helpful or useful to explain more into what happening. Any idea feel free to let me know.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Marmaz16

Bump. took it to stealership today, awaiting Diag
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Marmaz16

Had my father go to dealership for im still at work actually. Ill post this in Shops section but....

DO NOT GO TO WYOMING VALLEY BMW in Kingston,PA on Market St EVER.

They refused to even try running a Diagnostics test before buying a new $253 battery. My dad went out way to get a Walmart/Sams club battery. They refused to let him put battery in on the dealers lot and they refused to give back the Keys and his license until he paid the $100 for the Diagostics they didnt even run yet. I wasnt there but he suposedly put on a **** show to the managers and they let him get keys and license back to replace the battery. They also informed him to Take his service and work to another Garage down the street and never come back, The additional comment was not needed for i will never return. Ill keep updated on How the new battery works out.

PS> if anyone knows of some BMW shops around NEPA it be appreciated too

Last edited by Marmaz16; 08-23-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Who knew the dealership would try to pull something like this?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yikes what's the latest update?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Marmaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
yikes what's the latest update?
Didnt mean to bump this but....

Made a new thread after i replaced items, This can be deleted or just DONT POST, just to remind ppl.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...429&highlight=

New post