E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
Refinishing the SMG shift knob - DIY

Since the shift knob on my SMG M3 vert was in awful condition, and not being a fan of chrome anyway, I decided to refinish it to match the silver trim. Replacement knobs are pricey ~$90, and other options can cost even more. So while I save up for a brushed aluminum knob, I think this mod works pretty well. It definitely looks and feels a lot better. Here's a before and after picture:

To start remove the knob by pulling hard, careful not to injure yourself or your car, and then disassemble it. The leather trim pieces can be removed with a screwdriver and the plastic insert pops out with an exacto blade. You can then scrape out the double sided tape and remove the screw.

The shift boot plate pops right out by lifting up on it. The shift boot and trim ring both snap into the plate, as well at the SMG switch. The glue holding the trim ring plastic "hex nuts" and the chrome SMG lettering is easily removed with pliers.

The next step is to sand down the chrome surface for better adhesion of Bondo, and completely remove it in areas that it is peeling. It would be ideal to remove all traces of the chrome surface, but that proved to be very difficult. The problem is the chrome is actually a thin layer of metal so it takes an enormous amount of sanding to remove. It will not peel off areas that it isn't already peeling and when sanding begins to reveal the plastic underneath, it is very easy to remove large chunks of plastic when aggressively sanding the metal surface. So take your time with this step. The image below you can see where I melted the plastic in a ring around the center when sanding too fast. (I had the knob mounted on a Dremel tool which rotated WAY too fast. Moved it to a battery powered drill and that worked great.)

After you prep the surface, add your layers of Bondo. Applying Bondo to the entire surface rather than in patches where needed works better for the same reason as the sanding problem above. If you only apply it where it's needed, then when you sand it down to shape you will also remove material from the section that has no Bondo or not enough. So just apply a bit more Bondo than you think you should and sand away until your fingers bleed. Mounting the knob on a drill made sanding it to a perfect round shape very easy. For the SMG plate, be sure to apply Bondo to the underside and not just the top to fill the holes. That will prevent the filled holes from simply popping out.

After sanding to a smooth surface with finer and finer sandpaper, then it's time to paint. I painted the SMG plate black to match the majority of the interior plastic trim, altnating between a matte black paint and satin paint then finishing with 1500 grit light sanding. The knob and trim ring were painted silver with a polished clear coat on top. As with painting ANYTHING, multiple thin layers of paint with drying time in between is the best way to do it. Yes it takes a long time, but the quality is worth it. After finishing the silver paint and wet sanding it smooth add your layers of clear coat. Again, thin layers are the key to building up a solid paint job without drips and runs. After the clear coat, wet sand until it is completely smooth then buff and polish it.

Finally reassemble the SMG plate and glue the leather trim pieces back on the knob and put it all back in your car.

Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
not sure if its my computer, but the pictures are not working

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Thekingarthur

Yeah I'm trying to figure that out as well. Not sure what's going on. I've verified the links twice now. I can load them up in a browser separately just fine.

Last edited by Thekingarthur; 08-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
I really want to do this, please fix the pics!!

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Thekingarthur

Ah, it's forbidden on the server to direct link. Let me play with some settings on my website...
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Thekingarthur

Ok, fixed the images.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
KashM3

My Ride: ///M
Great write-up. Thanks for giving me a little "after work" project.

Mike Rad boosted avus e36

AW E46 ///M SMG

Still on the hunt for a low mileage 997 GT3.2 !Herro Rennlist....S54 E30 M3 completion at the 95% mark
///
KashM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashM3 View Post
Great write-up. Thanks for giving me a little "after work" project.
No problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
JamaicanBlueE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Nice job, If u don't mind me asking, what is that red thing by the tray above the shift knob?
JamaicanBlueE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
It's the little things that really make a difference. What wouldn't necessarily seem like a big project still makes a world of difference, I think it looks great, nice job!

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Dude, that looks great!
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanBlueE46M3 View Post
Nice job, If u don't mind me asking, what is that red thing by the tray above the shift knob?
That's the display for my Whistler Pro 3600 Radar/Laser Detector. I customized the ash tray for that install. Working on a write up for that too, possibly a video as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
It's the little things that really make a difference. What wouldn't necessarily seem like a big project still makes a world of difference, I think it looks great, nice job!
Indeed. After general maintenance I wanted to start modding the stuff that makes the most difference first, the things I interact with and use the most. stereo, shift knob, radar detector, and steering wheel next.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
This is going to come in handy. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Good work looks awesome

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Good painting skills. Definitely looks tons better.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
Thekingarthur

Thanks guys! I used to airbrush a lot so I have a bit of practice spraying paint around.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
Hey still any way we can get these pictures up? I went to pry the leather inserts out and it seemed like they were breaking

Mod List
F10 M5 Wheels on Pirelli PZero, Bilstein B8 Shocks, H&R Race Springs, CF Splitters from CTD w/Custom Aluminum Skid Plates, CF Diffuser, Alpine Sub and Amp
Custom Diffuser by brokeduetom3, K&N Intake, Coby Steering Wheel, Coby Shift and Handbrake Boots, Carbon Interior, Painted Headlight Internals
UltraGauge II, Clubsport Door Sills
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Brianthechemist

My Ride: E46 M3, E39 540i
gentle heat gun action will loosen the PSA that holds them on.
Brianthechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
Re: Refinishing the SMG shift knob - DIY

Alright will do. And I did pry the top logo off. Just painted black under and it went back perfectly

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app

Mod List
F10 M5 Wheels on Pirelli PZero, Bilstein B8 Shocks, H&R Race Springs, CF Splitters from CTD w/Custom Aluminum Skid Plates, CF Diffuser, Alpine Sub and Amp
Custom Diffuser by brokeduetom3, K&N Intake, Coby Steering Wheel, Coby Shift and Handbrake Boots, Carbon Interior, Painted Headlight Internals
UltraGauge II, Clubsport Door Sills
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m3, refinish, shift knob, smg