E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Fitment

My Ride: 2002 M3
Lightbulb *** E46 M3 Alternator DIY ***

So since i was on a little budget this month due to school.

Tools needed:

* Allen Key
* Torx 50
* Small Philips Screw Driver
* Flat Head Screw Driver
* Ratchet
* Socket # 10, 16, 17.
* Extension
* Towel

1. Disconnect the positive terminal from your battery

2. Start taking off your OEM/Aftermarket Intake scoop & filter and cover so you have enough room to take off the Alternator.

There is 4 clips thats holding the scoop

4. Intake scoop is off.

5. Take off the side plastic pieces that's attached to the fan cover. There is two clips on each side that gets this loose. This will help you get more room at the end when you are going to pull the alternator off.

6. Take the cap off so you can get access to the long bolt that is holding the alternator down. I simply used a little Philips screw driver to pop it off and bingo you will see the bolt. Its a 16mm bolt if you have a breaker bar your life will be much easier compared to a regular ratchet.

Cap off

7. Below the alternator drive, there is a tensioner to get the belt loose. It has a black cap/cover just like the alternator.

8. Once you took the cap off the tensioner uses a Torx key size 50 i attached it to my ratchet and pressed down on it just the way i tighten a regular bolt. This will get the belt loose gently slide the belt out from the alternator drive.

9. Now you can take the long bolt out that holds down the top portion of the alternator.

10. Take the bottom bolt that is holding the alternator as well.

11. Use an Allen key to remove the hard oil lines make sure you put a towel underneath the oil lines so you don't get oil on the alt. It will be just a little oil but i still ended up covering the alternator.

12. Oil lines removed

13. Disconnect the negative wire from the alternator. Its held by a metal clip i simply took it off with a flat head and it just came off.

14. Disconnect the positive cable from the alternator. Its a 17mm socket see the pictures below.

15. After you disconnected the cables. You can start taking off the alternator by moving it back and fort depending on how old your alternator is mine was pretty easy to take out.

If i missed something feel free to fix my mistake.

-Thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
agent050

My Ride: 2005 M3
Ha! This is a sweet DIY. I will bookmark this. Thanks!
agent050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
bufu-m3

My Ride: 01 M3
You just saved my $300 in labor at the shop. Thank you so much.
bufu-m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
What was the size of the allen key?
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
ZkansasZ

My Ride: a horse
Kudos on the DIY
You don't have to remove that oil line if you have small hand/fingers
When reinstall, make sure the little notch on the pulley bolt fit into that small slot there up top.

but ya, it's straight forward process.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Haven't had to touch the alternator on my m3 but I took it out multiple times from my 330.

be patient getting it out, it takes a little wiggling. I would personally take the whole fan shroud off to make room to work. Would imagine it would be tricky getting the alternator out otherwise .
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
wow first post and its a awesome DIY. And here I thought this forum was dying. Thanks for keeping the E46 community alive!
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
dr1v3n

My Ride: M3, F250
good instructions, I have replaced mine before, I did not remove the oil lines. Seriously thought, screw bmw for putting such a shitty alternator in the car
Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
DJ Syxx

My Ride: BMW M3
Good DIY mate.
DJ Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
skeeterv

My Ride: e46
great DIY. Might be doing mine in a while... BTW did your alternator go bad or was it preventive? Also miles on the unit?
skeeterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Fitment

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterv View Post
great DIY. Might be doing mine in a while... BTW did your alternator go bad or was it preventive? Also miles on the unit?
Hey,

Yes mine went out at 57k miles. I had the battery light lit up on the cluster.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Excellent thread!

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Well done, the only discrepancy I have is that you don't have to remove the oil lines. The only issue they cause is getting to the back of the alternator for the connections and the really aren't too hard to get around. I don't have small hands and managed just fine to get in there to disconnect the negative connection by hand. The positive has enough slack to get the alternator out before undoing it.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
nice write up, thanks!

i'd just like to mention that when removing the negative clip, you push down on it and that releases the plug. there's no need to remove the clip itself. it's similar to the plug you remove when changing the oil filter on the m3

Last edited by JetBlackE46; 11-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.
JetBlackE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
rossi0112

My Ride: Black 328 CI
Done this on my car 156kmiles done as I was getting a flashing battery light on the dash, read up some stuff and forum members were pointing at the Voltage regulator on the alternator. In the end I bought a new alternator at a cost of 154 with a 30 refund when I return my old unit.

Anyway I used the op to help me out taking the alternator out except for I didn't have to remove everything mentioned only the fan housing for better access and the air scoop and air filter, I then got easy access to the Alt. Took me no time at all about 30 mins in total. I also took the benefit of fitting new belts as the serpentine belt was cracked all the way round, so good job really.

Just to confirm on my model 2000 328CI I had the Torx 50 bolts in the tensioners as some have mentioned an Allen head bolt in there..also the serpentine belt tensioner was stiffer than the AC one so watch the Torx Head socket doesn't come out as you could easily damage the radiator matrix, so take your time on that one..The AC tensioner was easy..

Thanks for OP for starting this thread..the E46 forum comes to assistance again..thanks.
2008 Skyjet SJ125-23 (sons)
2009 Kinroad XT50-18 (sons)

Last edited by rossi0112; 11-04-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: mileage put in
rossi0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Bimmerboye46

My Ride: 01 325i Sport
I have an 01 325i.

I noticed this tube on the under-aft side of my alternator, it looks loose. Is this tube supposed to fit onto the alternator snug with a metal clamp or is this it? Any advice helps! Thanks

Last edited by Bimmerboye46; 04-07-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Bimmerboye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #17
TopazCoop

My Ride: '06 M3
Just wanted to say thanks. Tensioner on my 06 M3 cab was an 8mm hex, oil lines were removed with a 6mm hex (be careful with the o-rings!). This is another good reference thread.

Valeo out at 47k, Bosch reman from AutohausAZ in. Cross your fingers I don't have to do this again any time soon. Royal pita.

PS don't do this when it is 108F.

Last edited by TopazCoop; 06-04-2014 at 03:12 AM.
TopazCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #18
Guram1993

My Ride: 325ci
OP, if you just get the nut on cable loose (useing a ranch wrench) , and than take out the alternator bolts (ones that mount on the motor), and than remove the cable completely, will this help to avoid takeing off the oil line ? im planning this for my car soon, id rather not disconnect the oil line if i dont have to. thanks in advance.
Guram1993 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, diy, e46, m3, replacement