E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Slamurai

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Ruined engine during clutch replacement!!

Hello all,

I have an extremely sad story to share.

My brothers ZHP needed a clutch replacement, he took it to a backyard mechanic that was recommended...
When he got the car back the guy mentioned a broken bolt and had to use a washer. He assured it would be ok.

Car ran well except for the clutch chatter, which is common with light fly wheels, so we thought no big deal. ( It is the worst chatter I've heard in a e46 )

My Brother has headers and I have magnaflow touring exhaust on mine, decided to swap my cat back on to his car to see if the raspiness would get better.

Once under his car I could not believe my eyes, the broken bolt this backyard mechanic mentioned was a much bigger disaster than expected.

Here's what I found...... /cry

As you can see the housing around the bolt is broken off!!! This is not the bell housing side. This is the engine!!!
Wait this gets better....

On the other side too!!! that's 2....

Here are some other pictures of all the bolts I could see, only found 2 originals.... Could not see the top bolts, but I'd be scared to find out.

He supposedly works for a BMW dealership, my ass, how the hell can you possibly screw up so bad? Im 99.999% sure this engine is ****ed.

How do we approach this guy? Cash job

What do we do with this car?
Slamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
He should've been a little more honest with you. It's much more than a bolt breaking. A broken bolt isn't a big deal. However, he broke the housing to which the bolt threads into.... If it were one, I'd say no big deal. Since there's enough bolts to make up for it. But two, this may cause problems down the road. With that said, it might not.

Mention it to him and see what his reason/explanation for this is? On some cars you can replace that housing, not sure if you can on BMWs... Either way though, it's a pain because the engine would need to be pulled.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I hope he didn't pay him yet.... if so demand full refund.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Lol what was he expecting to achieve by using those long bolts? I don't think they even serve a purpose being like that
Old 05-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #5
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
It should be ok, looks like he's used the bolts to pull the gearbox up without aligning splines.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
qoloR

My Ride: 05 Cooper-S
come to him, explain what you saw, demand a refund.

if he doesn't refund escalate to small claims court

whatever you do, do not let him "fix" your brothers car as compensation.
qoloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
illuminated

My Ride: pos lowered 325xi
Gonna just go ahead and quote goloR in bold, because what he said was too important to miss or put aside under any circumstance;

whatever you do, do not let him "fix" your brothers car as compensation.

Sorry about the shitty situation man, hope it gets dealt with asap

lowered 325xi

FS: very lightly used Xi-model Bilstein Struts &OEM springs
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...333&highlight=
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
illuminated

My Ride: pos lowered 325xi
To add to my previous post, if this guy has any sort of 'local reputation', make sure that you tell everyone you know about this incident, and link to this thread wherever you see fit. This guy deserves to be put under pressure after making such a mistake.

lowered 325xi

FS: very lightly used Xi-model Bilstein Struts &OEM springs
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...333&highlight=
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
qoloR

My Ride: 05 Cooper-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminated View Post
To add to my previous post, if this guy has any sort of 'local reputation', make sure that you tell everyone you know about this incident, and link to this thread wherever you see fit. This guy deserves to be put under pressure after making such a mistake.
100% agree. I may only own a Mini, but if anyone did such work to my vehicle, the world would know about it in a heart beat and I would get_my_money_back.

If things go south and he refuses to refund you, take it to small claims. Make sure you have someone with you that knows what they're talking about. A technician from BMW or a local Indy shop with all the right papers, pictures to boot, and more importantly, a list of items that will need to be REPLACED inorder to fix this. If that involves the whole "case" of the motor, then so be it. Your brother deserves his car to be fixed 100%.
qoloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
lol dang!! next time you need a new clutch put in bring it to me, i'll do it 10x better than that guy
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
I don't see anything wrong
I see no cracks.. Just a long ass bolt that looks a little out of place
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote