E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
schnejerator

My Ride: 01 325i black bomb
stuck instrument motors after DIY

Anyone who has lost their tachometer, speedo, etc. when replacing gauge faces (specifically after removing needles) may find this useful... Some issues came up on the thread Gauge Face Installation DIY. I know this is probably only one or two other people out there who have had this happen, but nonetheless here it is...

If a gauge won't move freely (or at all) the motor is likely sticking in the shaft somehow. I accomplished a repair, which worked (better than no tach!). First, you must fully disassemble your panel. That means all the needles, faces, EVERYTHING down to the printed circuit board.

The Switec stepper motor is the same for all the gauges (Tach on top, MPG below it):

You must *carefully* open up the case for the motor by depressing the tabs with jewelers screwdriver, and you have two halves of the motor:

With the back part of the motor:

Then, you can remove the main white gear and shaft from the motor front (needle must be removed). This takes some finesse to get it around the metal tabs of the coils. Upon examination, my problem was in the extruded plastic shaft from the primary gear (shown with needle for clarity). The shaft had deformed when I reinserted the keyed shaft (which shouldn't've come out in the first place).

I shaved and sanded that shaft down to ensure it was round, and placed it back in the front motor casing to check for smooth rotation between the stops. Carefully reassemble, and you will be back in business. Re-calibrate as normal, etc.

Just like new:

Now, for the good stuff: I found the distributor for the stepper motors that drive the instruments, and now have some extras (part XC5-589, formerly X15-589). $25 plus shipping for you guys. I think replacement is going to provide a better fix in the end, and a WHOLE lot cheaper that a new gauge cluster!!! Will update with DIY for that afterwards.

Hope this helps the few (very few) of you who have had a similar problem...
schnejerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
Great write up man! I know of at least two other forum members that have had this issue. When you have a chance post a link for the stepper motors... Take care.

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
schnejerator

stepper motors are swiss built and it was tough to track them down... the U.S. distributer will only sell minimum quantity of 4, so I have three i'd be happy to sell at my cost ($25 + shipping).

should arrive late next week - i'll post the diy for that replacement
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
schnejerator

motor info: http://www.microcomponents.ch/downlo...XX_01.SP.E.pdf

distributer contact:http://www.microcomponents.ch/downlo...00_07_BG_E.pdf

chevy uses a *slightly* different version in the silverado, which are a dime a dozen and available on ebay, etc. for some reason, when chevy installs them into a car they fail. never heard of that with the bimmers...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i & LSB M3
I'm not sure how to work the tabs to open the motor. Could someone show a picture of how to work the tabs Thanks
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
schnejerator

DUB check this out hope it helps...

liar!

KTHXBYE
Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i & LSB M3
After about 10 weeks of driving without a working speedometer, I finally got a cluster in the mail today. I replaced the stepper motor for the speedometer and I'm back in business! FINALLY!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
schnejerator

For anyone looking to replace:

Stepper motors have been superceded, new part number is X25.589 and they're even cheaper . Hit up http://steppermotorsonline.com/ - I think his name is Murugush (sp?)...

Don't forget to get a good de-soldering tool.

liar!

KTHXBYE
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Evilsmith

My Ride: 2001 330i, 2012 328i
Send a message via AIM to Evilsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Evilsmith
Some time ago I ended up breaking one of the coils on the back of the gauge cluster when trying to fix the gear set. The steppermotor website just shows the back case of the motor. Does anyone know if this purchase includes the ENTIRE motor (Gears, coils, etc)? If not, what does it include?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Evilsmith

My Ride: 2001 330i, 2012 328i
Send a message via AIM to Evilsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Evilsmith
ok, so I purchased 6 instrument motors and soldered them on the dash. Installation was VERY easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be. Problem is, I dropped the middle screen and half of it is not visible now. Does anyone know where to source this part? Numbers on it are as follows:

00193233-019 011 (Side)
3322 126 8415.1 (Front)
LPH5751-2 (Side)
Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
werx23

My Ride: 2000 323i Touring
thought i'd jump in even though this is an old post and some of the links to buy the stepper motor are defunct.

installed a bimmian m3 style face. all went well, except for the problem mentioned above. when i pulled the tach needle, the entire needle that is attached to the motor came out, not just the needle itself. tach doesn't work properly now. think it is just luck of the draw whether it gets stuck to the motor or not.

anyway, found the stepper motor x25.589 through this guy on ebay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/gaugerepairman/

$7.50 including shipping. don't have to buy a bunch a costco like quantity to fix one stepper motor

since my soldering skills suck (i had some of the strangest looking slot cars growing up) i will take everything to a local speedometer shop to see if they can do the repair for me.

thanks to schnejerator for the original post.
werx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
seany1er

My Ride: 2002 330i
so glad i found this thread...repair shop quoted me $450-$500. gonna cost $22.50 for 2 steppers' shipped
seany1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
AirTractor

My Ride: 323i
Nero post alert! This thread saved my arse! Thanks a ton.
AirTractor is offline   Reply With Quote