E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #141
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Driving with the wrong shaped mirror
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #142
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
From the youtube description.

"This was suppose to be the intro crash video in our new "Mischief 8" movie but I decide to post it up now. Release of the movie is TBA.

Driver Description:
"Well it happened at South Mountain park in Phoenix AZ. One of my buddies and I were out just having fun and driving until I came up on a deceptive corner, misjudged it and it happened. No injuries. The car was a total loss. Misjudgment of the road caused the accident."

Footage owned by Matt W."
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #143
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Seriously? Misjudged is an understatement.. That kid has not idea what he was doing. Its ok though since his mommy and daddy in Scottsdale will just buy him another M3 since that was the only thing that saved his life.. People like this irritate me. What a waste. Trying to show off like your so bad ass, ON SOUTH MOUNTAIN, wearing a hoodie in the desert.. Can someone please throw some Chlorine in that gene pool?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #144
80sMan

My Ride: Honda Odyssey
FS/FT - Beautiful E46 (not sure which one - I know it has a 3 in the name somewhere) with VERY low miles, and in immaculate condition. Adult driven and never raced or driven irresponsibly. Clean CARFAX (no need to check) I can provide to any interests buyers. Have a few extra parts that do not fit anymore, and am willing to throw them in with the sale. This is a super quiet and light car! You would swear it has no engine at all! Willing to trade for a Honda Civic(with Japanese motor swap and fart can), or a Toyota Supra(no less than 4,000 HP).

If interested, please txt me at 555-BIG-DUMY.
80sMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #145
emmm_three

My Ride: ML350/325i/330ci/M3
And teenagers complain about insurance rates being so high? Insurance companies should just use this as their model marketing tool...TOOL being the drivers! HHAHAHAHAHAA, love the facepalm at the end.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #146
Alias206

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmm_three View Post
And teenagers complain about insurance rates being so high? Insurance companies should just use this as their model marketing tool...TOOL being the drivers! HHAHAHAHAHAA, love the facepalm at the end.
You guys are harsh on this kid. remember these great things about this video: he recorded it HAHA, thank you kid. e46 M3 is now more rare. I'm sure he got enough **** from crashing the car and losing it etc. We don't need insurance rates higher, anyone. this would be a great add for a "keep it on the track" campaign. or maybe for track insurance?

Good vid
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #147
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I don't know, I've seen worse at the track by a number of people. He screwed up a bit, he had severe understeer into the turn, he then quickly straighten the wheel when he realized he wasn't going to make it.

If it wasn't for the huge rocks, this would have been a minor off-road excursion, and he would have been back on his way.

Though as E46 M3s are at the same price range as a new Honda Civic, you are going to see younger kids crashing them more.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #148
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
So I think the emotional bashing has just about run its course (ZHPKID).

I re-watched the video- does he actually go airborne over the crest of the hill before he slides off? Or do the wheels just unload? What I initially thought was him "landing" seems to just be where his wheels went off the edge of the road. Once he was in that situation could he have recovered? Would slamming on the brakes (if the car was unloaded) cause the car to "come back down" so that he could quickly let off the brakes and try to straighten his course?

JW

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #149
tomb25

My Ride: BMW 323i
Kid crashes M3 into rocks

tomb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #150
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Repost.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #151
tomb25

My Ride: BMW 323i
Sorry, my bad.
tomb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #152
Theabester

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 SMG
That's what happens when you try to show off on a road you don't know
Theabester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #153
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
So I think the emotional bashing has just about run its course (ZHPKID).

I re-watched the video- does he actually go airborne over the crest of the hill before he slides off? Or do the wheels just unload? What I initially thought was him "landing" seems to just be where his wheels went off the edge of the road. Once he was in that situation could he have recovered? Would slamming on the brakes (if the car was unloaded) cause the car to "come back down" so that he could quickly let off the brakes and try to straighten his course?

JW
Agreed....nothing he could have done to save it once in that situation.

Sure he should not have crested the hill so fast...sure he should have had a different rear view mirror.....sure he should not have been wearing a hoodie as everyone else is saying.

However once in that situation you are mearly along for the ride. He DID have the wheel turned in the proper direction, but lack of or zero front grip made it useless. We all know from track schools that you never add more steering input because once you regain grip it will snap you around into oversteer. By my acount this kid actually did the right thing. Use the correct steering input, if that doesn't work, prepare for an off. Cars are designed to be survivable in head on accidents, the most crumple zones and air bag effectiveness.

Short and simple, he got in over his head but did not panic with crazy full lock, instead subcomb to it and ride it out.

Last edited by Mark M; 08-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #154
Killemall

My Ride: 325Ci

Double it!

Killemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #155
Kstrooch

My Ride: 325ci
Damn. How would you feel lol
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #156
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killemall View Post

Double it!

I actually laughed horrifically hard at your post!

----

Not trying to dump on the kid at all, I've been in an E46 total-loss accident before (not my car, not my driving) and it's great to see he made it out the same way we did.

HOWEVER, what did he think was going to happen on that road, at that speed? It looks like his front wheels totally unloaded over that "jump". As someone said here earlier, DSC doesn't defy the laws of physics!

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual

J E T G U Y
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #157
Theabester

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 SMG
I've been there it sucks lol
Theabester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #158
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #159
Logan175

My Ride: E46 320i
I blame the SMG.

Not physically being connected with the fact that you are in the top of fourth, coming up on what looks like a chicane probably was a factor. This dude is far too used to putting his foot down and listening to gears change for him.

Looking the direction you are about to crash doesn't help.

There is another good video of a guy driving his Ducati Street fighter off a similar desert road!

Last edited by Logan175; 08-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Logan175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #160
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
Its on the front page of the forum, I think everyones seen it lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m3