E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Rattling when in Neutral

So I just bought a 2002 330ci from a private seller. He had already put a stage 2 UUC clutch kit in it. Everything about it is great besides a chattering noise coming from underneath the car, transmission/clutch (I'm assuming). When I engage the clutch the sound goes away. I'm thinking I could possibly be the throw out bearing, maybe he didn't have that replaced along with the clutch. (clutch only has 100mi on it). Also when taking off in 1st gear or reverse there is a bad shudder in the clutch, especially in reverse and sometimes when downshifting.

If you have any idea what it could be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by HBizzo88; 08-30-2012 at 01:33 PM.
HBizzo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
birdman323e46

My Ride: japanrot 330ci
im assuming since he has a uuc stage 2 clutch on there he also got the lightweight flywheel... although you might want to look into that. The reason being that lightweight flywheels usually have some noise to them at idle.

99% of the time clutch kits come with throw-out bearings hence the name since you toss them every time you go in there so that most likely isnt the issue.

If the flywheel is still factory, the increase friction and grab from the new clutch could possibly have broken the springs dual mass flywheel that our cars have (I know from experience), but again I would hope that he got the flywheel with the clutch to prevent that from happening.
birdman323e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
normal for lightweight flywheel.

just press the gas at neutral til the noise goes away or put your foot on the clutch if it bothers you or you dont want the car to sound like crap.

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
HBizzo88

Ok, thanks a lot. I'm about to ask him if he purchased the flywheel. God I hope so.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
HBizzo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman323e46 View Post
im assuming since he has a uuc stage 2 clutch on there he also got the lightweight flywheel... although you might want to look into that. The reason being that lightweight flywheels usually have some noise to them at idle.

99% of the time clutch kits come with throw-out bearings hence the name since you toss them every time you go in there so that most likely isnt the issue.

If the flywheel is still factory, the increase friction and grab from the new clutch could possibly have broken the springs dual mass flywheel that our cars have (I know from experience), but again I would hope that he got the flywheel with the clutch to prevent that from happening.
Yup, it does have the light weight flywheel. So I guess that explains it.

But is it normal for these high performance clutches to shudder? Maybe I'm just driving it wrong lol 0_o
Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
it depends on th material, my old uuc segmented kevlar did this, it whirled abit and the organic did shudder but it was due to the stock flywheel being resurfaced(do notstock resurface flywheel)

I went with other clutch combosand have had better experiences. Currently running ACT clutch and flywheel combo.

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
HBizzo88

Cool man. Ill look in to it more. I hope it will be fine fore now though. Just sucks how shi**y it sounds lol
Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
RSteckhahn

My Ride: '05 325i
My stock flywheel and clutch does this. The car is rarely in neutral though but I've always wondered if it's a problem.
RSteckhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
HBizzo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteckhahn View Post
My stock flywheel and clutch does this. The car is rarely in neutral though but I've always wondered if it's a problem.
Hmm. I'm not too knowledgable on this stuff, but ya I'm sure you're in need of a replacement. If just your stock one is doing it.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
RSteckhahn

My Ride: '05 325i
The car drives fine otherwise. I would need a new flywheel with 86k on the car and 36k on the tranny?
RSteckhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
HBizzo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteckhahn View Post
The car drives fine otherwise. I would need a new flywheel with 86k on the car and 36k on the tranny?
Like I said, I'm no expert but it's worth getting checked out.

Last edited by HBizzo88; 08-30-2012 at 09:43 PM.
HBizzo88 is offline   Reply With Quote