E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovla15 View Post
Yes, that ticking/tapping noise you hear may be the only two things:
1. Bad injectors ! ( because of that, you have rough idle )
2. worn lifters !

dovla
If it was an injector is would smoke like crazy and blow smoke rings at idle, Not to mention make pretty much no power and the car would throw a Code

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #42
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
The click doesn't sound like injectors to me. It sounds like lifters. Even gas engines can make a sound similar to that. The rest of the engine sounds normal. Diesels are inherently louder than gasoline cars though. That's what happens when you inject fuel into high pressure air and blow it up with just compression. I've heard good things about putting Seafoam in the oil. I'm pretty sure it's acceptable on diesel engines. Don't take my word for it though.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
francie

My Ride: m3
did you ever sort this problem? ive the same noise, when I put a screwdriver to the injectors to listen 2 of them are noisier than the other 2. no erratic idling. just noisy.
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
If only you knew just how high the compression ratio of a diesel is and how much psi the injectors work at along with the fact heat of compression is enough to cause combustion. You'd understand why they are so loud.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
francie

My Ride: m3
but a significant notice in noise between the first 2 and the 2nd 2 injectors
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #46
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
I know 0.0 about BMW diesels, but, I have owned various VW diesels since 1998. Sounds about the same as every diesel I have ever owned? Common rail is a little quieter, but, if not common rail, and I do not think it is, then that is flat out normal.
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Have a turbo diesel dodge truck outside that sounds exactly like that and pulls like a mother ****er. Welcome to the world of diesel engines. Enjoy your car!
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #48
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Really doesn't sound that different from some of the direct injection petrol engines (until you get on throttle anyway). Though now that I listen a little closer, I hear two distinct noises. One of them is just the injectors... but there's a slower and lower pitch one that I'm not sure about

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #49
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
All the diesel sold in the States now is what is called low-sulfur diesel. It burns cleaner yet largely lacks the lubrication properties the old formula possessed. This causes minor buildup inside the fuel system, i.e. the lines, injectors, pump, so forth. They do include additives to offset this but even still as with the old formula it's a good idea to manually clean out the fuel loop once in a while. Lubro Moly makes a product called Diesel Purge which works wonders. You will have to pull the main supply and return fuel lines and reroute them to just pull the Purge from a container which runs through the fuel loop then back into another container but the product cleans the fuel system out very well. It's something I have to do every couple of years or so to smooth out the engines on my two MB diesels. Furthermore the loud metallic tapping noise is due to nailing injectors. The nozzles are semi-clogged and creating the noise. Diesel purge the system & change the fuel filter afterward. Might pay to have the injectors professionally cleaned.

One could very leisurely get all of this done without turning a wrench by running two or three tanks full of B100 which is 100% biodiesel. Hard to find though. Bio is an extremely effective diesel fuel system cleaner, as well as a superior alternative fuel for diesel engines.

Also get out and do an Italian tuneup every once in a while. All engines tend to need this from time to time.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 12-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #50
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Also get out and do an Italian tuneup every once in a while. All engines tend to need this from time to time.
+1

Always remember doing this in my old Volvo 740 TD, visible smoke coming out of the exhaust that day, but never after. Ran much better after too.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #51
hitbyastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
+1

Always remember doing this in my old Volvo 740 TD, visible smoke coming out of the exhaust that day, but never after. Ran much better after too.
Works a treat doesn't it? I usually just go find a long hill and floor it. Need to get the engine working full load at full temp. Engine usually settles down and smooths out nicely afterward. But a diesel will never be as quiet as a petrol engine. My friends used to tell me they could hear me coming because it sounded like pots & pans rolling down the street.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #52
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Works a treat doesn't it? I usually just go find a long hill and floor it. Need to get the engine working full load at full temp. Engine usually settles down and smooths out nicely afterward. But a diesel will never be as quiet as a petrol engine. My friends used to tell me they could hear me coming because it sounded like pots & pans rolling down the street.
In the UK lots of our cars are Diesel, for example there is a Mondeo that has a 155BHP engine. Does the USA get the big M-Benz 320 Diesels?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #53
hitbyastick

I have a 1985 300D Turbodiesel and a 2005 E320 CDI. The two could not be more different obviously. I consider the old 300D to be the best car ever made and is my personal favorite of all time. Most faithful car ever, biggest threat you will face is rust. Sadly most of them still in service are Swiss cheese by now. It has a poorly designed climate control system though. Heater works brilliantly but forget about the AC.

The CDI outputs 369 pound-feet of torque and returns 35 mpg on the highway. They made a commercial showing it outrunning a Corvette of the same year in a quarter-mile drag race. It's very quiet but you can still hear a dull faint knocking. Diesels are my favorite, I even like the smell of the exhaust.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #54
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
I have a 1985 300D Turbodiesel and a 2005 E320 CDI. The two could not be more different obviously. I consider the old 300D to be the best car ever made and is my personal favorite of all time. Most faithful car ever, biggest threat you will face is rust. Sadly most of them still in service are Swiss cheese by now. It has a poorly designed climate control system though. Heater works brilliantly but forget about the AC.

The CDI outputs 369 pound-feet of torque and returns 35 mpg on the highway. They made a commercial showing it outrunning a Corvette of the same year in a quarter-mile drag race. It's very quiet but you can still hear a dull faint knocking. Diesels are my favorite, I even like the smell of the exhaust.
I have a 83 240D manual..love the car but getting on the freeway really sucks with 67 HP(at the crank) LOL. Sucks the US didn't get the 330D
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #55
a65racing

My Ride: 320d Sport
Very interesting thread gents but what on earth is an Italian tune up??!

Does anyone know for sure that Seafoaming a diesel is ok?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
a65racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #56
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by a65racing View Post
Very interesting thread gents but what on earth is an Italian tune up??!

Does anyone know for sure that Seafoaming a diesel is ok?

Italian tuneup = driving the piss out of the car.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
a65racing

My Ride: 320d Sport
Of course , should have known, thanks

a65racing is offline   Reply With Quote