E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
I speak english en 2 years of been in this country! Hablo espanol! Eh io parlare italiane! And i feel good with people that surround me because i try to help then and that make happy not a grumpy old men! And if you dont like it jajajjajaja oh old men just dont read my post! Jajajajajajajajaj
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
And brokensmile209 if you want to keep your ride in good shape and last long try always to get OEM parts! But if getting autozone parts make you happy just go with then but is not the best option! Good luck
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
People buy autozone pads because you only have to buy them once with the lifetime warranty. When they are done just bring in the old ones and they just give you another set of pads for free. I had a friend who did this for years on his Nissan Frontier
I mean, if you aren't doing track days or any type of real aggressive racing...are autozone pads that terrible?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Autozone parts are perfectly fine. You just have to pick and choose which ones to get from autozone. Brake pads are expendables. and i've always gotten my brake pads for all my cars from autozone. everyone i know picks up autozone brake pads. as for rotors. . . There just round pieces of steel. if your not shooting for performance or trying to see how fast you can decelerate from 100, you'll be alright.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopestyle View Post
Autozone parts are perfectly fine. You just have to pick and choose which ones to get from autozone. Brake pads are expendables. and i've always gotten my brake pads for all my cars from autozone. everyone i know picks up autozone brake pads. as for rotors. . . There just round pieces of steel. if your not shooting for performance or trying to see how fast you can decelerate from 100, you'll be alright.
All points kinda valid, with my major comment being that there are thousands of kinds of steel cataloged and produced for real reasons. It sure does make a difference.

Autozone pads will stop you fine, but when the world class Axxis Metal Masters are available from Turner Motorsports, why would you choose to save a few bucks? BMW's represent premium cars at the top of their category in the world. Why pursue this brand if you immediately start to cheap out?
What do you want your perception of the machine surrounding you when you blitz down the highway or deftly pilot your auto thru some mountain roads?
Or if trips to the drugstore are all you care about, choose a lessor and more affordable vehicle than one with double vanos twin overhead camshafts, etc, etc, etc!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
All points kinda valid, with my major comment being that there are thousands of kinds of steel cataloged and produced for real reasons. It sure does make a difference.

Autozone pads will stop you fine, but when the world class Axxis Metal Masters are available from Turner Motorsports, why would you choose to save a few bucks? BMW's represent premium cars at the top of their category in the world. Why pursue this brand if you immediately start to cheap out?
What do you want your perception of the machine surrounding you when you blitz down the highway or deftly pilot your auto thru some mountain roads?
Or if trips to the drugstore are all you care about, choose a lessor and more affordable vehicle than one with double vanos twin overhead camshafts, etc, etc, etc!
Don't Honda's have twin overhead cams?

And I wouldn't call it 'cheaping out' if they still provide the same functionality as the OEM brad pads provide.

Bottom line is Advanced or Autozone pads, while not OEM, will still stop your car. While I would rather go with something OEM, I haven't seen any hard evidence to tell somebody to not go with an Advanced Autoparts solution.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
We're also talking a 30,000-ish mile expense here. It takes a long time for brake pads to get to the minimum level. For that length in time, I would rather have quality pads than cheap ones from AutoZone, especially when I know that higher-quality, quieter and less-dusty pads could be purchased for not much more elsewhere.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
We're also talking a 30,000-ish mile expense here. It takes a long time for brake pads to get to the minimum level. For that length in time, I would rather have quality pads than cheap ones from AutoZone, especially when I know that higher-quality, quieter and less-dusty pads could be purchased for not much more elsewhere.
Not disagreeing at all. Autozone pads are a solution....just not the optimal solution.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Quote:

I see I see. sometime in the next oh i don't know 3 years when i actually have to do my brakes I'll look back on this comment.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
Don't Honda's have twin overhead cams?
Guess you deleted the modifying 'vanos' before you read my words?

BMW three series six is an award winning design that has been acclaimed by automotive journalists over the past couple decades. Never saw them rave over the Honda twin cam.
And yes, I'd gladly ride in a Honda to the supermarket if my BMW was broken. But I'd rather have it working and experience something sublime. The designers did not achieve that by shopping at the lowest bidder.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
lsteg

Quote:
Guess you deleted the modifying 'vanos' before you read my words?

BMW three series six is an award winning design that has been acclaimed by automotive journalists over the past couple decades. Never saw them rave over the Honda twin cam.
And yes, I'd gladly ride in a Honda to the supermarket if my BMW was broken. But I'd rather have it working and experience something sublime. The designers did not achieve that by shopping at the lowest bidder.
Didn't delete anything. I was simply stating that DOHC's are not a defining feature. But now that you're down off your soap box we can get back to the topic that OP started this thread for.

Last edited by lsteg; 08-22-2012 at 09:54 AM.
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
Stinger9

That's a roundabout way of admitting you're wrong and apologizing.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
lsteg

Quote:
That's a roundabout way of admitting you're wrong and apologizing.
nope...Hondas and other "low end" cars have DOHC. This is not a BMW exclusive feature.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Get to the pads soon or you will have to do the rotors, but the rotors might still be okay, and usually are for a second set of pads. If you don't know, measure the thickness of the rotors with micrometer.

After my warning light, I replaced pads within 700 miles and was down to 1.5 mm on the pads. Another few miles, I would have had to have bought new rotors. My rotors were only halfway worn between new and minimum thickness (stamped on rotor) after 60K miles.

Get to this soon. Dealer said 1500 miles after the warning light, but I think that they wanted me to buy rotors!
Micrometer's are so expensive aren't they? I was going to look into getting one since my pad sensor went off, but just decided to replace the rotors based on the lip created by the brake pads.

OP, as everyone has said, you can go with Autozone, but not recommended. I priced out pads(textar), rotors(Genuine BMW), and a sensor for my fronts for 200 dollars or so. Probably going to go with zimmerman or brembo to save 15 bucks, but haven't decided yet.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #35
Stinger9

micrometers not expensive
check out Amazon

Best to replace rotors with pads always.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #36
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
nope...Hondas and other "low end" cars have DOHC. This is not a BMW exclusive feature.
You're no fun; you're not taking enough offense at what I'm saying!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #37
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
micrometers not expensive
check out Amazon

Best to replace rotors with pads always.
Will do.

I was under the impression that you could get through two sets of pad on one set of rotors, no?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #38
lsteg

Quote:
You're no fun; you're not taking enough offense at what I'm saying!
haha sorry to disappoint?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #39
PutinRUS

My Ride: 2005 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You need a new brake sensor. There are two on your car: one for the front-left, one for the rear-right. You only need to replace the one you are changing the brake pads on. If you can get it at Autozone, great, but chances are you can't and you need to go to either the dealer or order it online.
I got a 05 e46 sedan and i have brake sensors all around.. Could be just the model/year though.

2005 325i : i<3e46 : iLLmotion : Certified Radio : JL Audio

PutinRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #40
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You will need new pads, and you _might_ need new rotors. Rotors wear out, but depending on how agressively the brakes are used, it is common that rotors will last through two sets of pads. The light you had come on tells you that the brakes have worn to the point where service is required, but it does not indicate that the front brakes or the rear brakes are calling for your attention. You only know this by inspecting the brakes.

How far you can go from here on the brakes depends on how agressively you use the brakes. If you are the kind of driver that uses the gas right up to the moment that the brakes are required so you slam them on as hard as you can, then you should do your service this weekend -- tomorrow would be better. But if you notice that the next traffic light is going to be red when you get there so you take your foot off of the gas and then lightly apply the brake as needed to slow at a comfortable rate, then your brakes will be good for another thousand miles or so. One thing to keep in mind is that the brake pads are a heat sink that draws heat away from the rotors, and when the pads are thin -- yours are very thin, that's why the light came on -- then the heat sinking quality no longer exists, so the rotors will be getting hot. Also, you want to replace the pads before there is any metal-on-metal contact, else the rotors will be destroyed. It is possible that you can use the rotors on another set of pads, but if there is metal on metal contact, this possibility will be removed, and you will be guaranteed to have a higher parts cost.

Assuming typical wear, you should find that you need front pads replaced at about 50,000 miles (brake service can be rounded to 50,000 mile intervals, sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less.) Then the next brake service will be for front pads and rotors, and rear pads. The next will be front pads, the next will be pads and rotors on all four corners.

If the rotors are scored for any reason, then they need to be replaced because the metal is pretty thin, and they have a minimum thickness specification that does not allow them to be machined flat again and still be thick enough for an acceptable service life.

You will need to inspect your brakes, you have to remove a front and rear tire and physically look at the brake components, to see what you need. Normally you do not need to do anything with the brake calipers -- the large metal chunks that the pads fit into -- so you can look them over for signs of a leak and forget about them if there are no leaks. You need new pads and you will need a brake wear sensor. You may or may not need rotors. Assuming you need rotors, pads, and both sensors, you should expect a parts cost of about $300. You can spend more for performance parts, and you can spend less. Spending more is not a bad idea, spending less is a horrible idea. Normal and customary parts from the local autoparts store will run from about $250 to $350.

If you have not done brake work before, then DO NOT do this by yourself. Find a friend or co-worker that has a variety of tools -- the wider the variety, the better choice of co-worker or friend -- that can help you to learn how to do this. It is not a difficult job, but it is also not one that you should be doing by yourself the first time you do it.

Hmongs are farmers from Southeast Asia, right? Do not be offended, but I recall them to be either ethnic Vietnamese or Cambodian.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote