E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
IFX

My Ride: M156
Gtr or m6?

Looking to get rid of the c63, and get into either one of these.

The m6 has more positives, (better warranty, interior styling, seating for 4, quality)

then there is the GTR, which is something i wouldn't have considered before, but i can essentially get a 15 gtr for 71k, wholesale price. I would have to spend about 75k for a 14 m6gc. I'am leaning more towards the m6, but a part of me just wants to experience the GTR craze.

The only real downside to the GTR is the attention it gets, whether it be good or bad. Not sure i want to deal with that.

Flame suit on.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
M6gc
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
GTR

Don't kid yourself with getting attention from it. Less people know what a GTR is than know what an M3 is or an AMG.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
IFX

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847276

the sixth picture in that thread just does everything for me.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
GTR

Don't kid yourself with getting attention from it. Less people know what a GTR is than know what an M3 is or an AMG.

yes true, but from what i have read it still attracts attention. and being in south florida, it could be both good and bad. i just want to be able to drive it to the grocery store and not have to worry about someone defacing it etc.

tough decision!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
easy decision M6
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
E25ci

My Ride: F32 435i
You only need to pay $75k for a m6gc?! Easy decision m6gc.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
last gen m6 because v10 and because not ugly. current gen is ugly
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
M6. GTR is not something you would want to daily.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
V10 was hot as hell until it **** the bed on you. That is not an engine I would want to deal with out of warranty.

Looks wise, I hated the trunk line. The new one is much nicer imo.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #11
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
V10 was hot as hell until it **** the bed on you. That is not an engine I would want to deal with out of warranty.

Looks wise, I hated the trunk line. The new one is much nicer imo.
Agree. I'd take GTR over V10 M6 all day long. New one.... may have me making a tough decision.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
yes true, but from what i have read it still attracts attention. and being in south florida, it could be both good and bad. i just want to be able to drive it to the grocery store and not have to worry about someone defacing it etc.

tough decision!
Most car guys have to do a double take to see if it's a GTR or 370z. I guess i just view it as a normal car. Nothing incredibly special about it other than capabilities. Why you wouldn't want to daily drive it is beyond me.

Old M6 is an ugly car in my opinion. I know it's not a popular option, but i think it looks like a poorly designed bloated pig.

Sounds like you made you decision though.

Last edited by MP0WER; 02-15-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #13
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
My opinion on the matter...

Speed:

GTR: very fast out of the box, sky is the limit tuning wise if you have deep pockets
M6: also very fast, can get 700hp easily with tune/bolt ons.

Ride:

GTR: rides like ****, handles like on rails, noisy, gearbox noise, drivetrain feels like a broken transfer case during slow turns in 1st gear.
M6: EDC allows you to ride like on rails or float along like a rolls Royce. Feels like its size compared to the more nimble gtr.

Interior:

GTR: fisher price package comes standard. Cheap "leather" and plastic as far as the eye can see. Abomination of an interior for this caliber of a car and it's asking price.
M6: softest leather to grace your ass short of a rolls Royce, interior is a work of art and even more enjoyable with b&o sound upgrade. Seats are better, steering wheel is better, everything is better.

Looks

GTR: looks like it goes, fast.
M6: classy but screams don't **** with me I mean business.

Attention

GTR: dudes cream their pants within a 100 mile radius of vehicle. Everyone tries to race you. Cops follow you. Kids follow you in their moms Kia filming you while almost swerving into you. Or the occasional slvt from a nightclub is an easy pickup.
M6: flies under the radar, BMW enthusiast tell you it's not a real ///M car since it's not N/A blah blah...gtrs will try you, as well as kids in e46 323i's. Also good for picking up a few slots from a nightclub bonus if it's the 4 door.

Maintenance out of warranty

GTR: lol
M6: Refinance everything and dip into kids college fund.

Go with the 323i

///M

Last edited by Redline; 02-15-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #14
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847276

the sixth picture in that thread just does everything for me.
you answered your own question......
Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #15
Nichts

My Ride: BMW/ BMW/ Infiniti
Personal preference. Very different cars. Me, M6. But I can see the debate for a GTR also.

Last edited by Nichts; 02-16-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Nichts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #16
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
M6= grown man's car/classy.
GTR=*****/still a nissan.

/thread.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
My opinion on the matter...

Speed:

GTR: very fast out of the box, sky is the limit tuning wise if you have deep pockets
M6: also very fast, can get 700hp easily with tune/bolt ons.

Ride:

GTR: rides like ****, handles like on rails, noisy, gearbox noise, drivetrain feels like a broken transfer case during slow turns in 1st gear.
M6: EDC allows you to ride like on rails or float along like a rolls Royce. Feels like its size compared to the more nimble gtr.

Interior:

GTR: fisher price package comes standard. Cheap "leather" and plastic as far as the eye can see. Abomination of an interior for this caliber of a car and it's asking price.
M6: softest leather to grace your ass short of a rolls Royce, interior is a work of art and even more enjoyable with b&o sound upgrade. Seats are better, steering wheel is better, everything is better.

Looks

GTR: looks like it goes, fast.
M6: classy but screams don't **** with me I mean business.

Attention

GTR: dudes cream their pants within a 100 mile radius of vehicle. Everyone tries to race you. Cops follow you. Kids follow you in their moms Kia filming you while almost swerving into you. Or the occasional slvt from a nightclub is an easy pickup.
M6: flies under the radar, BMW enthusiast tell you it's not a real ///M car since it's not N/A blah blah...gtrs will try you, as well as kids in e46 323i's. Also good for picking up a few slots from a nightclub bonus if it's the 4 door.

Maintenance out of warranty

GTR: lol
M6: Refinance everything and dip into kids college fund.

Go with the 323i

SOLID POST. LOLLL

I think i could actually enjoy this, but this weekend i'm going to test drive one. (If i find a dealer who will let me)

Agree on your m6 thoughts, but what alot of people don't know is the m5/m6 is about just as fast as the GTR. Slap a jb4 and dp's on it, and bye bye to 95% of cars from a roll. But you can do it with a merino leather on your ass, and all the gizmos and gadgets. (Which i dont care for the latter)

On that note, have you seen the new 15 GTR interiors? It actually looks really good. not m6 sexy, but still much nicer than older ones imo. They have a new cream color, it's gorgeous.

Another plus for the M side is i have a really awesome SA that doesn't care if my car is modded (which it probably will be) he will work on it. i don't have juice at Nissan.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
you answered your own question......

yea, i suppose. but still gonna test drive the GTR and see what it's all about this weekend! I have to give it a chance. lol
Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #19
IFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post

lol. everyone has their own opinion. The m6 GC is beautiful with the c.f roof.

And buying an old v10 bmw is not an option. That car is terrible. The only thing i like about it is obviously the sound.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
oie77

My Ride: wamta
M6GC. I drove my friend's and it was pretty much what I would want in a daily high performance machine. It can be very calm and subdued or it can be ballz to the wall-all in a refined looking package. I feel like the GTR is boy racer all day long.

One thing I could not get used to was the size of the car. The thing is long as hell. It was tough driving around a city but nothing you probably could not get used to.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote