E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
More Microagression in Academia

http://dailyprincetonian.com/opinion...croaggression/
Quote:

The history of "wh": a microaggression

By Newby Parton • Contributing Columnist • January 4, 2015

I love puns. My ninth grade classmates can attest to this, for I would begin each day with my corniest new discovery. Without fail, my jokes would set off a chorus of groans. Today I have a groaner to share with you: What did the grape say when the elephant sat on it? Nothing, but it let out a little wine.

I never told this particular pun to my friends, because it doesn't quite work in my part of Tennessee. There, "wine" and "whine" have distinct pronunciations. We say "wine" just as you might, but when we whine we /hwine/. There's an /h/ sound before the /w/. You might think our way of saying /hw/ is backwards since the word starts out "wh," and you'd be right. But /hwine/ is actually the traditional pronunciation. In fact, the Merriam-Webster dictionary entry for "whine" gives /hwine/ first and the newer /wine/ form second. This pattern carries through most "wh"-words. For "which," Webster gives /hwich/. For "where," it gives /hwer/.

I can't tell you why the pronunciation and spelling are flipped, but I can say that the sound came first. It made its way to Old English through the Gothic letter hwair. At the time, it was written in English as "hw" - just as you would expect. Somehow, the spelling flipped to "wh" in Middle English, and we've kept the inverted form ever since.

The pronunciation shift from /hw/ to /w/ - causing "whine" to sound like "wine" - is a newer development. Linguists have appropriately dubbed it the "wine-whine merger," and it may have started in thirteenth-century England. For half a millenium, the merger was shunned as a mark of low education. By the late 1700s, however, the /w/ pronunciation had caught on, and the merger is complete in most states today. William Labov writes in The Atlas of North American English, published in 2006, that only 17 percent of speakers preserve the /hw/ sound, most of them from a band that runs across the Southeast.

There is a town in that band that I call home, so I say my "wh"-words in the traditional way. I never thought twice about it before coming to New Jersey. Here, my peers make a spectacle of it. "Say Cool Whip," they'll tell me, in reference to the Family Guy gag in which one character pokes fun at another for his /hw/ pronunciations. I'll say "Cool Whip." They'll repeat it back to me with exaggerated emphasis on the /h/. I've been pulled into this conversation several times now, and each time I grow a bit more self-conscious. Very few people like to have their speech mocked.

Now, I am sure the others never mean their offense. Therefore, I will play along and let them have their laugh. You wouldn't know it from my columns, but I avoid confrontation when I can. Besides, this is not very important to me. I am a male and I am white, so I get less than my fair share of discrimination. I am ashamed to say that I have complained when I have had such fortune, but I must confess that I did. A friend of mine whom I quite like had put me through the "Cool Whip" routine, so I waited awhile and texted her this: "Making fun of regional speech is a microaggression."

Again, I am ashamed of that text. But I learned a lot from her response. "Better put that on TM," she said, referring to the Tiger Microaggressions page notorious for posting inoffensive "aggressions." There came no apology or retraction. She really did not understand that she had caused any offense, even after I had plainly told her so. That is fine with me, and I don't blame her one bit. If I were her, I am afraid I would not have understood either.

I mean it when I say I am afraid. I am afraid that I have spent eighteen years not understanding when I have said something offensive. I am afraid that I have unwittingly hurt the feelings of people so accustomed to microaggression that they did not bother to speak up. I am afraid that I would not have taken those people seriously if they had made a stand. And I am afraid I will do it all again. I am afraid because microaggressions aren't harmless - there's research to show that they cause anxiety and binge drinking among the minority students who are targeted.

To become more aware of my own shortcomings is a debt I owe to others, so please send me a message if I have ever hurt your feelings. I will do what I can to make it up to you. In the meantime, I ask that my readers try doing the same. You might be causing people offense without intending to. Understanding how others feel is hard for those of us who do not suffer discrimination often, but with a little conscious effort, we can start correcting our mistakes.

Newby Parton is a freshman from McMinnville, Tenn. He can be reached at newby@princeton.edu.
1. His name is fvcking Newby
2. As I said before, this is learned behavior
3. If this isn't the first thing you thought of, well I feel bad

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."

Last edited by Act of God; 01-05-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #2
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
He's a college freshman who took the first 3 things he heard on campus and now he's got the world all figured out.

I had some pretty stupid ideas when I was a freshman, too.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
badfast

My Ride: A Car
microaggression = microproblem.

I see you have taken the microaggressive position against using double gs.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
man, more college kids.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
life must be tough righting all these wrongs
Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Microaggression sounds like something that everyone does, not because of racism, but because of things that we are used to, just from sheer conditioning.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
This college dork has offended me by causing me to lose otherwise valuable time. I'll send him an invoice at my hourly rate, plus compensation for the mental and emotional trauma so that he can make amends.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
another microutrage thread
Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post