E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #121
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
2 oz rye whiskey
1 oz sweet vermouth
Dash of bitters

This makes a Manhattan.

Add a generous splash of water to make a Sandy.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #122
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Old joke is old

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #123
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What do you make? Don't just post a name, but actual recipe.

My favorite recently has been the "Old Fashioned". Anywhere I go, everyone messes it up, so I decided to perfect my own. I looked at several recipes and modified this one to make it a bit simpler and make it my own. The result I like best so far (and what my test subjects/friends have preferred) is this:

OLD FASHIONED

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
  • .5 oz Cold water
  • 2 oz rye whiskey
Garnish: Lemon or orange rind

Glass: Rocks

PREPARATION:
In a rocks glass, muddle sugar, bitter and the water. Add the whiskey and a large ice cube. Twist slices of lemon and orange peel over the drink and drop them in.

It's simple, requires only two real ingredients (lemons and sugar are too easy to obtain to be a real concern) and it's a delicious drink with some kick and flavor.

What do you make?

EDIT: I thought it'd be nice to compile actual suggestions in one post:
I had a muddled old fashioned when I was in TN at a bar. The first few sips were good, but then the drink was way too sweet for my liking.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #124
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I had a muddled old fashioned when I was in TN at a bar. The first few sips were good, but then the drink was way too sweet for my liking.
I've yet to have one at a bar that was good. Except for the place the above recipe actually came from.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #125
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
Quote:
They may have done it different. I've seen where a cherry gets muddled in with the rest of the ingredients and it makes for a sweeter drink. I always ask that they not muddle in any fruit when I order. I also usually get a Back label old fashioned

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #126
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
I can't say I've ever had one that was too sweet, normally if it's wrong then they don't have enough sugar/bitters and all you taste is the bourbon.
Quote:
I've yet to have one at a bar that was good. Except for the place the above recipe actually came from.
There's a place near where my parents live that can usually make a good one, and I had a few over the weekend at my cousin's rehearsal dinner that were great. I asked one of the bartenders for one and she referred me to an older lady working the bar who killed it, easily one of the best I've had.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #127
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
They may have done it different. I've seen where a cherry gets muddled in with the rest of the ingredients and it makes for a sweeter drink. I always ask that they not muddle in any fruit when I order. I also usually get a Back label old fashioned

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
There was Cherry in it for sure.

Here's the link to the drink I had and the bar:

http://shuckrawbar.com/menus/Shuck-Raw-Bar-Drinks.pdf
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #128
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Awesome thread, here are some of my favorites:
Top Shelf Margarita:
-1.5 oz fresh mexican (key) lime juice
-3 oz tequila of choice (I usually use herradura or cazadores)
-1 oz cointreau
-small squirt of agave nectar

shake all ingredients with crushed ice in shaker, strain into iced glass.

Basil Gimlet:
-1 oz basil infused simple syrup (see below)
-2 basil leaves
-1.5 oz gin
-1.5 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

combine ingredients in iced shaker, strain into chilled glass, top with seltzer water if desired
for simple syrup: bring equal parts sugar and water to boil, add fresh basil leaves, let cool

Whiskey Sour:
-3 oz whiskey (usually use Bulleit)
-1.5 oz lemon juice
-1 oz simple syrup

shake ingredients with ice, strain into chilled glass

Painkiller:
-2 oz pineapple juice
-2 oz orange juice
-1 oz cream of coconut
-3 oz+ dark rum (usually use pussers, cruzan, or 151)

stir juices together, measure rum into iced glass, add mixer and stir. if you don't want to mess around with cream of coconut, use half coconut infused rum and half dark rum

Last edited by ThEnder; 11-14-2012 at 04:44 PM.
ThEnder is offline   Reply With Quote