E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Reagan25

My Ride: 2005 bmw 330i zhp
Fcab and Rtab Install Question

I searched for an install time for fcabs and have read as short as 40 min to 6 hours. Also i called a local shop to ask for an install price and he $300. I read on the forums someone got them installed for $128. Does anyone know how long fcab and rtabs take to install? I already have them in a box at home.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
THe fcab job is about 1-1.5h max. $300 is insane. its $120 for bushings and about one hour job with a beer in one hand

Rtabs are about 2h with the right tool to pull out the old and press in the new. This can be a little pita if your using non special tools.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Reagan25

I guess I will just do them myself then and save the money for uuc tse3. Am I going to need any special tools to do it?

Last edited by Reagan25; 08-22-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Reagan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
For FCABs you can make do with odds and ends.

For the RTABs I would suggest something like the RTAB tool from MIS Tools. I have the tool and am going to attempt the R&R this weekend. The fanatic that I bought the tool from completed the job in a couple of hours and I am budgeting about the same. Just make sure that you have the right sockets / spanners / wrenches etc that you need.

GL!

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Reagan25

I did the fcabs Thursday and tried do the rtab today but could not get the bushing out and my brother was helping and messed up the alignment and we couldn't get the rear trailing arm back in place. The fcabs were very easy and added a lot of grip to the front end.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Reagan25

What would be a good price to do rtabs and alignment I called a shop today and I was told $170 for the rtab install because it takes over 2 hours and $60 for an alignment?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
do rtabs urself. it isn't really that hard.

its a TRAP!

just takes long haha
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Reagan25

The fcabs were easy but don't i need to get a rtab puller and a press? I have to go to work and college don't have a lot of time.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
BMW2k3

My Ride: '04 330ci & '93 E30
If you do the RTAB yourself, make sure you mark and properly align the carrier that the trailing arm bolts into (which attaches to the body). If you preload this incorrectly it will shorten the life of the bushings at the very least. You want it set at the "weight on wheels" level so the bushing isnt twisted in the housing with the suspension at normal height. Just mark the angle of the carrier on the trailing arm before you unbolt it from the arm to remove the bushing with a silver sharpie or something similar.

Past:
E92 335i 6MT: JB4 | DCI | CDV Delete | BMW Performance SSK
E36 M3 5MT: AFE Intake | M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | DDM Catback | Shark | Clears
E46 323ci 5MT: 330 Brakes | H&R Cup Kit | SSK | Clears | 3.46 | 18" CSLs | E36 M3 Clutch & LTW Flywheel
BMW2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Reagan25

I did the fcab myself a few weeks ago but just got the rtab installed, and an alignment. Both of the front and rear are UUC polyurethane bushings and they greatly improved the steering response. The car also feels more stiff, it doesnt float as much as it used to, making it feel like it handles better. The only downside is after installing the rtab they have been making a little more noise, hopefully i just need to break them in, or the mechanice didn't lubed them.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
I did mine without a special tool, I had a hard time because my old rtabs were completely shot. Took me like 4 hrs to complete....I just used a hammer, a pick and a torch after the install my car felt like an actual m3 again. If you have trouble, MSG me. Also I made an outline I the carrier with soap stone and after I completed the job I took it for an alignment and they said it didn't need to be aligned. So make sure you draw a good outline and who knows maybe they won't even charge you for the alignment because it might not need it.
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote