E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Arrow BMW Uses Gauze Filters For Performance

There was a thread recently and some bashed on aftermarket gauze air filters. Mostly about K&N and I mentioned BMC filters. Just a heads up to those who argued this is junk, no performance and ruins engine from dirt. Guess who uses gauze filters for performance...BMW!
BMC is the brand who makes the genuine BMW Motorsport air filters for the CSL. link to info
http://store.bimmerworld.com/bmw-mot...px?Thread=True

photo

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Alex323Ci

here is the thread and discussion in question for those PM'ing me.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=bmc+filter

hopefully this along with other things posted as information can help fix the misunderstanding some have accepted from past threads.
i think it must have done some good as those very vocal aren't posting anything as a follow up now. which is good i suppose.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Oh, oh you mad!

The main issue with oiled filters is that people seem to under clean and over oil them. I won't claim to be an expert because I don't use them and I prefer dry, but they are surely fine if used correctly. They just usually are not. And not all gauze filters are created equal. Mango linked a to a test of a bunch of the brands and IIRC K&N did not come out on top. You may have seen the test, I think it was from bitog.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Yep and I hope you're not referring to me, cause I never talked one word of bad about BMC filters. I was right there with the 335 crowd when they got big in 2006. It was the filter of choice. Not K&N.

Besides, point is moot anyway. Our engines simply don't benefit from the volume and flow an aftermarket filter could provide, if any. (non-Ms) you're talking about a totally different beast there. irrelevant to the topic at hand

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 08-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Yep and I hope you're not referring to me, cause I never talked one word of bad about BMC filters. I was right there with the 335 crowd when they got big in 2006. It was the filter of choice. Not K&N.

Besides, point is moot anyway. Our engines simply don't benefit from the volume and flow an aftermarket filter could provide, if any. (non-Ms) you're talking about a totally different beast there. irrelevant to the topic at hand
I PUT aFe PRO dry IN MAH FRESH WHIP n NOW I run wit FERRARIS

SHE purrs like a BIG ole LION !

Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I PUT aFe PRO dry IN MAH FRESH WHIP n NOW I run wit FERRARIS

SHE purrs like a BIG ole LION !

wish they had dry filters in stock when i purchased my AFE.. got stuck with oiled filter.. haven't had problems but haven't had it long enough to replace or oil yet.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
wish they had dry filters in stock when i purchased my AFE.. got stuck with oiled filter.. haven't had problems but haven't had it long enough to replace or oil yet.
You would have to have no common sense and a knuckle head to over oil it. People post like its some "science" to getting it correct. It appears not to be "idiot proof" but then again neither is anything when working on cars. Heck you can find stories everyday in the world of people filling water in the oil cap thinking its the radiator.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
You would have to have no common sense and a knuckle head to over oil it. People post like its some "science" to getting it correct. It appears not to be "idiot proof" but then again neither is anything when working on cars. Heck you can find stories everyday in the world of people filling water in the oil cap thinking its the radiator.
Alright then. How much oil are you supposed to put? Just until it feels or looks right, right?

Then how long after you clean the element do you oil it?

Actually wait.. how many times do you clean it?

Does it depend on how many miles are on it?

How about the seal that goes around the stock E46 airbox (comes with the K&N drop-in) do you replace that at certain intervals?

How do you know when it should be replaced? Whats the correct procedure to install it to ensure it doesn't get pinched.

If damaged, how do you go about getting a replacement seal?

Sorry. Too many variables for something as crucial as an air cleaner. $11 every 25,000 miles for a brand new replacement seems the best way to go.

Alex--if you had a non-M E46, what air filter setup would you use?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

here you go. all kinds of answers for you. even has videos and photos. took 10 seconds to find, please do some effort first before asking
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#4

personally i clean and "recharge" my filters about 15,000 miles. Mike Miller's maintenance Schedule posts he does his K&N filters 15,000-30,000 depending on environment.

*Not going over this again, please dont derail the thread.

Thread's about Performance and how these are used even by BMW.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Been using a K&N filter for years, works perfectly fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Alex323Ci

Quote:
i know you were onboard with the BMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
Been using a K&N filter for years, works perfectly fine.
same with me. infact i know of no one first hand who has had an issue. and my friend owns a shop and many first place trophies in Rally series with K&N
Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
i know you were onboard with the BMC

same with me. infact i know of no one first hand who has had an issue. and my friend owns a shop and many first place trophies in Rally series with K&N
There's no doubt that it works fine. Nobody's debating that. The point being made is they're unnecessary and provide little benefit, if any, to non-M E46 cars. That's all.

Any upsides aren't worth the downsides (price, complexity, maintenance)

$11 for OEM every 25,000 or so miles. Done.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

No there were plenty of posts from incorrect people saying it was not fine in that last thread. Even statements as Fact. Anyone reading the thread linked can see who made and what was said.

Also posts about no performance.

This is just to "clear the air"(pun inteneded) on some people's thinking of gauze filters and how even BMW uses them. That's right, it's an OE part.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
So let me get this straight, we've concluded that oiled filters must be perfectly fine in all cars because BMW used them as OE on the CSL?

That's an interesting bit of logic considering that the CSL does not have a MAF sensor and the primary argument against oiled air filters relates to the possible contamination of the MAF sensor element by oil residue coming from the filter. I don't care to debate the pros/cons of oiled air filters here but using the CSL to justify the safety of oiled air filters on MAF based cars is flawed logic.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 08-24-2012 at 05:07 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
So let me get this straight, we've concluded that oiled filters must be perfectly fine in all cars because BMW used them as OE on the CSL?

That's an interesting bit of logic considering that the CSL does not have a MAF sensor and the primary argument against oiled air filters relates to the possible contamination of the MAF sensor element by oil residue coming from the filter. I don't care to debate the pros/cons of oiled air filters here but using the CSL to justify the safety of oiled air filters on MAF based cars is flawed logic.
I understand that part. I should have posted that prior to you bringing it up. It was not overlooked by me. I know all about the CSL intake.

No that is not the logic. The point if you missed it posted a few times in this thread is that it's for performance and does not allow all this extra dirt in. But before someone else posts that BMC did later revise the gasket for it to seal better. I will bring that up to. New BMW part number.

Also posted in the link earlier is answers to this "oiled" causing damage. Which it addresses and you can make your own common sence decision about it.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Of course K&N is going to vehemently deny their oil contaminates MAFs. :-p

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Alex323Ci

Talking

Quote:
Of course K&N is going to vehemently deny their oil contaminates MAFs. :-p
haha, yes they must be guilty.

*from the logs of Sheriff Mango

Judge: What's the defendant accused of?

Sheriff Mango: crimes

Judge: What's your proof of crimes?

Sheriff Mango: Oh there is no evidence or proof anywhere.

Defendant
: Your Honor there is no proof anywhere and I told him I didn't do anything wrong or atleast show me what I did.

Sheriff Mango: There you have it your Honor. He vehemently denies any wrong doing. There is your proof he is guilty. Hang 'em!
Bailiff Going Nuts, take the guilty man out and hang 'em.

Sheriff Mango: another cased cracked

Next case the guy who didn't change his entire cooling system.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
haha, yes they must be guilty.

*from the logs of Sheriff Mango

Judge: What's the defendant accused of?

Sheriff Mango: crimes

Judge: What's your proof of crimes?

Sheriff Mango: Oh there is no evidence or proof anywhere.

Defendant
: Your Honor there is no proof anywhere and I told him I didn't do anything wrong or atleast show me what I did.

Sheriff Mango: There you have it your Honor. He vehemently denies any wrong doing. There is your proof he is guilty. Hang 'em!
Bailiff Going Nuts, take the guilty man out and hang 'em.

Sheriff Mango: another cased cracked

Next case the guy who didn't change his entire cooling system.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I can't believe you guys are arguing over a "mod" that nets you AT BEST 1-2HP

Which one of you can piss further?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
I can't believe you guys are arguing over a "mod" that nets you AT BEST 1-2HP
who said 1-2 Hp? and who is arguing over it?

it's about getting the truth out and not contributing to the misinformation of old internet myths. i don't know about you but i like to belong to a forum that has legit info and not old wives tales.