E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 Steering Angle Sensor implausible

15K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sansho 
#1 ·
Just bought a 54 plate 330d touring as the sensible car (my wife is 7months pregnant and I drive an ///M Roadster).

When I got it the DSC and handbrake lights were both lit up yellow (when the handbrake was off).

Doing some diagnostics I got "Steering angle sensor implausible" and started researching how to replace the sensor.

The steering wheel was always off centre when driving straight and having read a post on ZHP Mafia (link) I noted that this could be the cause.

I dropped the car in for 4 wheel laser alignment (Hunter) and then took her for a 10 min drive, initially the light was still on but when I returned to the car it was gone! Nothing wrong with the sensor, just that it had an "implausible" reading I guess.

I want to thank danewilson77 for saving me a day's work replacing a sensor which was perfectly good! Now I can spend that time removing the swirl flaps.

So should you come across a "Steering angle sensor implausible" error check your steering wheel is straight when driving along and if it isn't start there!

Dane, if you're even in the UK, I owe you a pint (or a day helping you work on your car)

Tristan :D

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.