E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #61
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
This. Stay the hell away from California unless you like being butt raped by the cost of living. Indiana is a nice choice, Ohio too (biased, I know). Do your research and choose wisely.

You could always move to Cali, get butt raped, then wake up one morning and say, "Hey, those guys on e46f were right! I have 49 other states to choose from that are way less oppressive than the land of movie stars and broken dreams!" at which point you shall whisk away your bleach blonde plasticized chick to, say, Texas where you would then begin to enjoy what 'Murica is all about!

Last edited by b0bab0i; 08-23-2012 at 09:14 PM.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #62
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
It is funny that Indiana and Ohio have been brought up out of other places near there. I grew up in Indiana and went to school in Ohio. I like both places, and they are fine if you are planted there to an extent.
I would consider moving to Columbus or Cincinnati. Mostly because I know people in both places. Less likely, I would go back to the South Bend area.
You know Michigan isn't getting any credit here. I wouldn't mind having a nice house on a lake, near-ish to a larger city.

That area of the country may be a little slower paced, etc, but I do think it could be in some ways a better place to raise a family. Education is good in a lot of affordable places, you still have access to everything in some form or another, it is just a drive to get there and they may be in opposite directions.

Right now, I like being close to things, able to walk to bars, etc, but it is not sustainable for me. No way I can buy a house where I live. Maybe a shoebox condo with $500 a month fees.

As far as the OP goes, he needs to chime in. He also needs to visit different places int he country before making a decision, or maybe not. He really liked some particular place in California that he visited. Is there a place in this world that suits him better? Probably, But that applies to all of us on here. That why people like to travel.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #63
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmitter View Post
Texas = hot as hell. literally. Housing is incredibly cheap.
I hear housing is quite reasonable in Detroit and Cleveland.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #64
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Don't move to California, end of story, didn't read past first post.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #65
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Don't live in the bible belt. This place ****ing sucks.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #66
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
There are nice places to live all across the US. Maybe you could take a few weeks and do a road trip and decide for yourself. If nothing else, it would be an awesome experience. I'm personally partial to Northern California, but I recognize that there are drawbacks to living here.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #67
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
This is the best thing that will ever come out of this thread

Still waiting for OP's reply, but don't move to California, it sucks. There's like... earthquakes, and fires all the freakin' time. Oh and SOOO many people everywhere. All the houses cost a fortune and the weather is so-so.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #68
Brem46

My Ride: Needs Moddin'
sorry for the delay in reply guys, i was finishing a bit of work off and settling my kids down for a night dont forget the time differences.

i do understand that Cali has some expensive properties but hey as mentioned i live in london, the prices and cost of living here is insane, i get 50% income taxed before i even pick my salary up not to mention the £1.47 per litre gas costs......

i dont mind driving or re-taking my test as such, although one thing i did struggle to get used to in cali was the slow speed limits, i hired out a car whilst visiting and it pained me to not take it over 60mph any where i went.

in terms of moving there, i dont think money and money alone would get me residency although as i said i have heard alot of countries ask you to be self sufficient financially in order to make the move which i can prove that i am, if i have to keep something in the UK to keep a steady income then so be it i would have to rethink my plans.

this is not all set in cement, i have only visited cali (san diego) and this is what set the seed, with anything you explore the first idea first before any others.

whilst i know friends who have bought holiday homes in florida or have visited, i dont think florida is for me, i maybe need to visit first, NYC would be a no no nice for visiting but i want to get rid of a congested overpriced city not move into one.

i do have access to solicitors and the consulate who can advise me as to how i go the green card route as i do want to be above board if i do make the move, i would probably look at starting a small business, in the UK i do business development consultancy so identifying a gap in the market either by price, service or product shouldnt be too hard for me to set up and run.

from my experiance, America is VERY friendly, much more than the UK, everyone is so polite, people saw us and were offering directions and help with the small baby getting into stores etc, just because i had a 2 year old running round me at the same time.
the service in the USA is very high, i do live by a "tip" rule and i did not once have chance to complain about service and gave good tips.

maybe i am all wrong but there does seem to be a big divide on here about where i should go, not many saying "do not come"
Brem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #69
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
don't forget, america in general is in a recession. $500k you can easily get a 2000 sq ft house in a pretty good suburb of l.a. (just to give you a ballpark figure). but gas here is expensive, $4/gallon

at this point, it would be stupid not to welcome anyone with money and job creating power... we (america) need it. 1 in 3 americans are on some form of welfare, that's pretty bad.

Last edited by k2spitfire; 08-24-2012 at 03:22 AM.
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #70
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brem46 View Post

from my experiance, America is VERY friendly, much more than the UK, everyone is so polite, people saw us and were offering directions and help with the small baby getting into stores etc, just because i had a 2 year old running round me at the same time.
Thats because they wanted a tip. Did you tip then? Otherwise i wouldnt go back.

Americans are not more polite than anyone else. Them asking all the time "how are you" and "have a nice day" when they really dont give a sh!t, got on my nerves, i just think its fake. Everytime i was in my buildings elevator someone would start small talking about something that would'nt interest anyone anyway.

Alright it is'nt as bad as it might sound. But this topic screams "i been on vaca for once, and now i hate where i live and wanna move" Its not greener on the other side. Well it probably is because you live in England and it always rains there.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #71
RA733

My Ride: 323i
When I read some of this I was like, wht ?:what:?? Nice ppl??? Helping u with ur baby??? Help point stuff out?? Are u sure u came to la?? Then I read San diago and was like oooohhhh. But ya LA ppl are cool and help u when ur in distress(I relly mean distress, I knw cuz I'm an emt) I'm not saying every body is a ass top but most are(just not on here I love these good ppl on here). But la suberbs are well worth it, pasadena, san gabril, arcadia, monrova, is where I spend a lot of my time mostly cuz I'm from the area and am a student.

But let us knw if u come out, well get u set up right
-zee
Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
RA733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #72
k2spitfire
Banned User

maybe op is a hot girl. hot girls always get help ("how bout some d1ck"?)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #73
Brem46

My Ride: Needs Moddin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spitfire View Post
don't forget, america in general is in a recession. $500k you can easily get a 2000 sq ft house in a pretty good suburb of l.a. (just to give you a ballpark figure). but gas here is expensive, $4/gallon

at this point, it would be stupid not to welcome anyone with money and job creating power... we (america) need it. 1 in 3 americans are on some form of welfare, that's pretty bad.
$4 a gallon isnt even half of what i pay currently at the moment, im paying around £1.47 for a LITRE
on that basis 1 gallon = 4.5 litres which is £6.61GBP per gallon in the UK around $12 USD

i havent just gone on holiday and came back thinking "wow i live in a dump" i have wanted to move some where for a while now and this holiday has just promoted that idea in both mine and my wifes head.

whilst i wouldnt want to set up a corporate business in america, its too much work and would involve me learning completely new markets all over again etc, i would be interested in setting up a nice bar / restaurant or something along them lines, in which i can just own it and employ and enjoy my free time now,.
Brem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #74
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brem46 View Post
maybe i am all wrong but there does seem to be a big divide on here about where i should go, not many saying "do not come"
The divide is the people who live in nice parts of California and the people who do not. Anything north of Santa Barbara does not count, the weather is not as nice.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #75
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I've lived in many countries, and many states in the US, and I haven't found a place I like better than San Diego, California.

It's a little pricier (not London pricey), but it has all the big city stuff, and a lot of small town stuff. I can surf in the morning, and go snowboarding by the afternoon. Southern California (except for Hollywood) is a little more on the conservative side, especially San Diego and Orange County, we have a high percentage of military and ex-military who decided to stay, including myself. Republican local government which is probably very conservative from someone in the UK, but not too bad.

The demographics is excellent, a lot of different cultures, and of course the amazing year round weather. If you like riding motorcycles, we do get the split lanes legally here, another plus.

I do enjoy firearms and shooting at a range, which I thought would be a big problem for me in California, but its not. Other than 10 round magazines, and a 10 day wait, it's not really restrictive.

The OP should try to get some advice from Expats who live in California, try some message boards. You want to ask people who actually did what you are considering.

Last edited by SD 328I; 08-24-2012 at 05:27 AM.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #76
MagicFan

My Ride: 2013 Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
There are nice places to live all across the US. Maybe you could take a few weeks and do a road trip and decide for yourself. If nothing else, it would be an awesome experience. I'm personally partial to Northern California, but I recognize that there are drawbacks to living here.
This.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #77
k2spitfire
Banned User

let's narrow it down: if you want to be near a beach, you're left with the coasts. the south gets too hot, the northeast gets too cold, and hurricanes are too regular in florida. as for all the cali earthquake talk... nothing that bad has happened in 20+ yrs (it's all hype). so basically you're left with california, imo the optimal range is san diego to santa barbara. i personally want to be near a big city (you should too, there's simply more stuff available), so i'd stay between ventura/orange counties.

i like san francisco also (it's like a smaller new york, a real city)... l.a. is more of a giant suburb (seriously, a land of strip malls. aside from staples center there's not a whole lot going on in downtown l.a.). but bay area real estate is insane, and the girls in socal are hotter.

Last edited by k2spitfire; 08-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #78
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Dumb post is dumb. He can get 75F clear sky weather 365 days a year, but drive 2-3 hours and be at incredible ski resorts JUST LIKE YOU. So he can skip the shitty seasons at his will, like winter and fall. You do know California has absolutely incredible ski resorts, right?
"dumb post is dumb"? What does that even mean?

And yes, we can see that you love California and it's "seasons" ....... I know this is going to come as a complete shock to you but ...... some people like the "real" 4 seasons! Fall is one of my favorite seasons and I actually like the winter.

I never said I DISlike California, I just offered my reasons for wanting to live in the Northeast instead.

Relax.......

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #79
MagicFan

My Ride: 2013 Subaru Legacy
Don't pay V85 no mind. He gets his jimmies rustled every time someone mentions a state other than California
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #80
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFan View Post
Don't pay V85 no mind. He gets his jimmies rustled every time someone mentions a state other than California
Aren't you the one that told him to move to ****ing Indiana... Is there a bar you can set any lower?

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote