E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #101
OOMPH!

My Ride: '04 M3, '89 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Or never realize it. My hat's off to the OP for figuring this out when it matters.
Seriously! Cheers to the OP.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #102
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
I've lived in many countries, and many states in the US, and I haven't found a place I like better than San Diego, California.

It's a little pricier (not London pricey), but it has all the big city stuff, and a lot of small town stuff. I can surf in the morning, and go snowboarding by the afternoon. Southern California (except for Hollywood) is a little more on the conservative side, especially San Diego and Orange County, we have a high percentage of military and ex-military who decided to stay, including myself. Republican local government which is probably very conservative from someone in the UK, but not too bad.

The demographics is excellent, a lot of different cultures, and of course the amazing year round weather. If you like riding motorcycles, we do get the split lanes legally here, another plus.

I do enjoy firearms and shooting at a range, which I thought would be a big problem for me in California, but its not. Other than 10 round magazines, and a 10 day wait, it's not really restrictive.

The OP should try to get some advice from Expats who live in California, try some message boards. You want to ask people who actually did what you are considering.

My job is in OC, but if I was offered something in SD, I would take it in a heartbeat........
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #103
ThumperNC24

My Ride: 'Mericuh V8 Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
I went to Muncie in the middle of August for work. The day I got there had to be the absolute hottest day I ever had to live through when suddenly out of nowhere rain clouds came out (i'm from socal, i don't appreciate rain when i want to be outside). I thought the rain would cool things off, but it only made it 10x worse. Maybe I exagerated, because I have to say, the people were among the friendliest I've met, but it seemed like there wasnt much to do. There were just lots of spread out towns spread out with small polulations with people working go nowhere jobs with no ambition. I'm sure other parts of the state are different, but I just couldn't see myself doing it.
no wonder...even people from Indiana make fun of muncie.

Generally northern Indiana (dubbed "The Region") is to be avoided...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brem46 View Post
$4 a gallon isnt even half of what i pay currently at the moment, im paying around 1.47 for a LITRE
on that basis 1 gallon = 4.5 litres which is 6.61GBP per gallon in the UK around $12 USD

i havent just gone on holiday and came back thinking "wow i live in a dump" i have wanted to move some where for a while now and this holiday has just promoted that idea in both mine and my wifes head.

whilst i wouldnt want to set up a corporate business in america, its too much work and would involve me learning completely new markets all over again etc, i would be interested in setting up a nice bar / restaurant or something along them lines, in which i can just own it and employ and enjoy my free time now,.
just fyi - us gallon is 3.8 liters. 1 US gallon is ~.83 imperial gallons. your point still stands though.

PS if you want to make a restaurant - please make the food better than most of london!! I thought almost all of the food I ate there was bland and boring. American's won't be into it. Although, I will say that you guys know how to do breakfast - you do that wonderfully.

BTW - a lot of us realize the cost of living in London is more than probably anywhere in the US but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to live in a place where the cost of living is a LOT less.

As far as Cali goes - the place i've heard the most positive about is San Diego.

03 Z06 466rwhp.
07 335xi 6M

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 08-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
ThumperNC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #104
ThumperNC24

My Ride: 'Mericuh V8 Power
**** dbl post.

03 Z06 466rwhp.
07 335xi 6M

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 08-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.
ThumperNC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #105
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
san diego... still too far from a big city if you ask me. orange county would be a good compromise (laguna beach, newport harbor...)
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #106
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spitfire View Post
san diego... still too far from a big city if you ask me. orange county would be a good compromise (laguna beach, newport harbor...)
Big city you mean like LA?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #107
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
I love America but not sure I would choose California. Have you been to Florida? Or Arizona?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #108
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
so op have you made a decision yet?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #109
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFish View Post
Or Arizona?
This forum

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #110
Brem46

My Ride: Needs Moddin'
i have a week clear in my diary next month, I will be flying back to visit San Diego once more, but I will also be visiting a few other states... going to do a google search and find some places that we would all enjoy.

i am not keen on the idea of flordia just simply because the hurricanes and the devastation i have seen there over the years.

new york city is great but i wouldnt want to live in an apartment, i enjoy living in a house too much.

without buying a "ranch" i want the space for my children to grow and enjoy the space, something which whilst we do have a moderate yard at the moment i want more space so my kids can grow plants and vegetables (just a fun activity i would like them to do.

i dont mind living outside of a city as quite simply when i was growing up i lived in the country and loved the space and freedom that this offers me, but only being a drive from the nearest city.

a beach would be nice, my daughter loves the beach so again being close enough to a beach for a "day trip" or anything like that would be brilliant.

we know this is a big decision and one which will not be made overnight. we have set up a few meetings with solicitors to get the facts on obtaining residency (green card) in the USA.

once we have all the facts presented to us then we will make a decision based on that.
Brem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #111
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFan View Post
You know there are other states in America that are just as good as Cali, and the cost of living is less too *cough* Indiana
Are you saying Indiana is as good as Cali...?
If you're a farmer and/or love corn, sure. It's just fantastic.
For the other 98% of people it sucks hard.
There's worse states though. Hello Nebraska
Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #112
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Oh hey man, try pennsylvania. It's beautiful.

America is a great country. You won't understand it's beauty until youve lived here and traveled quite a bit.
The back country in the appalachian mountains is something that gives me chills. The rocky mountains are something else. The city's are full of life and the coast from Florida to Maine has so much verity it's unthinkable.
There's no way to combine everything great about America in one location. But please experience it all. Get lost someday in a beautiful place. You seem to be fortunate enough to have the funds to travel. See as much of the country as you can. Everyplace is unique in its own way.

From a residential standpoint I'm not sure I'd choose California.
It's by nothing. The whole entire country is east of the mississippi. Then there's California out there on the whole other side. Don't get me wrong, California is amazing. But it's almost like its own little country.
I think you might like Virginia or pennsylvania. Close enough to the coast depending on where you are and just beautiful. you have the option in these states (or really any state) of living close to everyone and in the middle of the action. Or out so far that people won't even be able to find your house.
On the east coast you have the option to drive just about anywhere. This gives you a lot of opportunity to experience the country. In California you have California to enjoy. But if you want to go anywhere you have to fly.

Good luck. If you make the plunge you'll have a great time here.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 08-25-2012 at 05:18 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #113
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brem46 View Post
without buying a "ranch" i want the space for my children to grow and enjoy the space, something which whilst we do have a moderate yard at the moment i want more space so my kids can grow plants and vegetables (just a fun activity i would like them to do.
Sounds like you want either Orange County or San Francisco Bay Area

We grew all kind of vegetables and fruit near SF (Fremont MSJ district to be exact), weather was not as good as OC either.

Wine grapes / squash / oranges / apples / peppers / peaches / blackberries / rasberries / watermelons, etc. etc.

OC is better though, beach is closer if you want to take mini day trips with the kid. From Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area) you have to go through Highway 17, takes about an hour.

NorCal cities worth checking out:
San Francisco
Atherton
Blackhawk
Los Altos
Fremont Mission San Jose district

SoCal cities worth checking out:
San Diego
Mission Viejo
Newport Beach
Laguna Beach
Irvine
Laguna Niguel

Maybes:
Santa Barbara
Palos Verdes / Manhattan Beach / Redondo

We have 4 websites within the family.

Last edited by v8 5; 08-25-2012 at 05:20 AM.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #114
gueste46
Banned User

Have you heard of Australia? Almost the same size as the USA but only 26 million people. Great climate, nice people and you will almost never be shot at.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #115
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Vero beach Florida = Laid back. Absolutly no traffic there AND has a really nice beach that is usually not filled with many people.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #116
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Some people in here really love California...

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #117
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
OP, why would you worry about the job/visa thing? Can you not get a work permit visa and come here and start a bussiness since you said you have 3 successful businesses in England? If you sold the businesses and could show the US gov that you have XXXX amount of liquid equity, I'm sure the work permit thing would go smoothly.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #118
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
as a new yorker that lived in london for almost half a year, i gotta say that london reminded me a lot of nyc. if you're looking for something different, i wouldnt head there. i personally would move to socal in a heartbeat if i could just find a job out there
Old 08-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #119
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Cali as others have said have higher costs of living. Don't expect to work a lot less but the great thing about America is you get what you put into it...for now that is.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #120
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Sounds like you want either Orange County or San Francisco Bay Area

We grew all kind of vegetables and fruit near SF (Fremont MSJ district to be exact), weather was not as good as OC either.

Wine grapes / squash / oranges / apples / peppers / peaches / blackberries / rasberries / watermelons, etc. etc.

OC is better though, beach is closer if you want to take mini day trips with the kid. From Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area) you have to go through Highway 17, takes about an hour.

NorCal cities worth checking out:
San Francisco
Atherton
Blackhawk
Los Altos
Fremont Mission San Jose district

SoCal cities worth checking out:
San Diego
Mission Viejo
Newport Beach
Laguna Beach
Irvine
Laguna Niguel

Maybes:
Santa Barbara
Palos Verdes / Manhattan Beach / Redondo
I've lived in Orange County for more than a decade and now working in San Diego and live in Riverside County. I have to admit, I miss Orange County. These are the best cities to live in Orange County.
Mission Viejo
Newport Beach
Laguna Beach
Irvine
Laguna Niguel

Mission Viejo is probably the safest city in Orange County.

The nicest area in SoCal is between Southern Orange County(cities listed above) and Northern San Diego County. Housing in these areas however are around $600,000 - $800,000+. My guess is that the house prices went down in the past 3 years.

There's a reason housing in SoCal is expensive compared to other states. It's not just the perfect weather. There's tons of things to do and places to go(already mentioned this in my early post). Location, Location, Location.

SF suburbs is nice similar to Orange County.