E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Marmaz16

My Ride: 02' E46 325i
Angry New Alternator. New Battery. Still having power drains/issues

Here is my previous post for reference, getting little recognition.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post14674630

Power voltage issue, not charging battery....

I just got a new alternator and battery in the car and i drove it today too. I was checking the OBC battery voltage whole time starting and driving around for the 30 or so Mins i was out. The battery had ~ 12.5 V when i was about to start and then it did quick drop and back up. It looked like it was fixed for like 30sec to a min. it shot up to > 13V almost 14V then it just dropped back down to ~12.0 and throughout whole time sitting in car and driving it ketp slowly ticking away. down to 11.3 and decided to head back home. I tried with A/C Light on etc. and made it worse and worse. Car just never charged.

I know that its possible to buy a Bad Alternator unit but hell its been doing samw thing with new stuff that was doing with Old. Also i dont seem to see/hear the alternator even spinning when i check under the hood. I see belt but not actual alternator itself.

If the laternator wasn;t working at all, could i even have drove that much just on the battery?

Could it possibly be my FSU?
The Wires in the enginebay and car trunk are all fine no corrosion or wear, Besides checking the wires in the body panel or under the car, HAve any other ideas? (BTW idk how to check or even where those undercar/doorpanel wires are)
Marmaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Your main belt runs through the water pump, power steering, alternator, etc, so if your car runs, the alternator is being powered. Did you do the install yourself? I would check the connections on the alternator itself, depending on how hard it is to properly tension the bolts that connect the alternator to your electrical system, it might not be a fully secure connection.

When I did a rebuild on an E39, the alternator connections took nearly an hour to finagle a way to get them all the way tight - which caused the same issues you're having now, once tightened, perfection!
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I did not read your cross posted thread, but it appears your alternator is not charging.

First place I would go and check is the engine to body ground wire that is on the passenger side near the motor mount. The side that connects to the body tends to be the problem connection.

This may be a better description of what to look for?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=ground

The easy way to test for this is just take a jumper cable, connect the negative side to the engine somewhere and the other side to the negative jumper post behind the right strut tower. Start the car and have someone watch the OBC Voltage display while you connect and disconnect the negative jumper cable, if the Voltage jumps up to where you expect it when the jumper cable is connected, your engine to body ground is bad.

Note, you do not need to do anything with the positive jumper cable, you are just putting a temporary ground path in with the jumper cable.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Marmaz16

Thx for the sound advice. Its getting late on east coast so i may have to wait till Tomorrow to test them out. I'll try to tighten connections to alternator again, I did install it myself. Then ill try the Ground bolt connection.

If neither ill take it to autozone again to test alternator, perhaps i got a bad rebuilt Bosch...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
jfoj just shut this thread down - fantastic post
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
SYL

My Ride: 01 330ci Cabrio
Try cleaning the cables of the battery leads, this happened to me.
SYL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Marmaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

First place I would go and check is the engine to body ground wire that is on the passenger side near the motor mount. The side that connects to the body tends to be the problem connection.

This may be a better description of what to look for?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=ground

The easy way to test for this is just take a jumper cable, connect the negative side to the engine somewhere and the other side to the negative jumper post behind the right strut tower. Start the car and have someone watch the OBC Voltage display while you connect and disconnect the negative jumper cable, if the Voltage jumps up to where you expect it when the jumper cable is connected, your engine to body ground is bad.

Note, you do not need to do anything with the positive jumper cable, you are just putting a temporary ground path in with the jumper cable.
I decided to do thsi quick...
Tested the OBC volts with the method above, no change when connecting and disconnecting. Same low voltage 11.9 and slow decreases. Also removed and placed back the battery lead on the alternator. No difference same issues.

Im guessing it may just be a bad alternator or any other ideas?

Also by cleaning the leads do you mean the battery connections in the trunk? or in the engine bay? I did clean the ones on the battery, there was little to no corrosion or markings...
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
11.9 Volts, alternator is not putting anything out, you are drawing on the battery.

Jumper cables ruled out bad connections.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Marmaz16

Im going to take back the Laternator and try my luck froma new one from Autozone. Prev new one was a Bosch remanufact NAPA.

Also before this maybe 1-2 motnhs prior i had the rear taillight recall from delear done and had both headlights, day time, replaced. Any idea if those would affect this issue?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
If you have the car running and then disconnect the positive cable from the battery the car will either keep running or die out. If it dies out, then its the alternator.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I had the symptoms even after getting a new battery and alternator. After lots of threads and post, I went and changed the FSR, and that fix my drainage issue.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Marmaz16

Quote:
If you have the car running and then disconnect the positive cable from the battery the car will either keep running or die out. If it dies out, then its the alternator.
Im sure it would die out, it dies as it is w/ battery on today got below 11V driving home from work. Also i heard this is bad/dangerous for your electrical system.

Quote:
I had the symptoms even after getting a new battery and alternator. After lots of threads and post, I went and changed the FSR, and that fix my drainage issue.
This has been my concern since the beginning due to maybe 1-2months ago i also had an issue with my A/C. Blow completely stopped working for about 2-3days but started right up again, no heat or air at all during those days. Some people say that the FSR wouldnt drain the battery, idk for sure or not...
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
JasonSmithed

My Ride: 00 323i
mine was doing the same thing and i had a problem with the fan randomly coming on and off when the car was off. was final stage resistor
Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
Charl_323

My Ride: 323ci
Fsu will drain batery while ignition i off. The fact that your voltage drops while car is idling can only be altenator. Check for loose connection. I replaced my fsu after altenator test was done. Remove fuse no.50 its fol blower.if that solves your drainage issue replace fsu.
Hope this helps
Charl_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Marmaz16

So will FSR/FSU w/e you want to call it...does that kill battery/voltage while car is running? if not no point to replace it if is still working with no blower issues. I got Alternator tested again and works fine with new battery so i am going to have to go see a euro mechanic or an auto electrician to test the issue. i guess thanks for all the help. Situation is really shitty debating dropping the car sadly....it only has 65k miles

OBC voltage shows alternator working correctly for 30secs to a min, volts go up past 13v to about 13.8 and then it just starts dropping and dropping below 12v and then i shut the car off.

Tags
alternator, battery, issue