E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
MrPedals

My Ride: E46 M3, Mystic Blau
Rogue Engineering FCABS and RTABS

So I bought my M3 in 2010 @ approx. 47k miles. It quickly needed an inspection II and new FCABs and RTABs. I went with Rogue engineering ones because at the time they seemed to have a decent price for a decent product. I bought the street compound inserts.

At the time I was running a staggered wheel setup with 235/40/18 on the front. The difference between worn stock versus fresh aftermarket was undeniably good. The car was just sublime afterwards.

Flash forward to now @ 89k miles:

I'm running a square setup, 265/35/18 all around, and I'm running PFC 08 brake pads in the front. Things are lets say, less than good. Ever since I put the squaare setup on the car, things got squirmy. I had multiple issues at once but I never realized it.

1. the diff: My aftermarket 3.91 differential I bought off some guy on CL was f'd up and causing the rear enf of the car to steer. I replaced it with a stock one and immeadiately felt more in control. This was frustrating because it was subtle, and try describing the problem to a mechanic without seeming like a total nancy-boy jack-ass.

2. tire pressure: once I got the diff figured out I still couldn't get the car to drive quite like it did when I had a staggered fit. the next part was realizing I needed to bump up the tire pressure to stiffen the sidewalls of the taller tires. Now I run at least 37psi all around. This made another huge bump in performance, but the car still drove a bit wonky. It still didn't feel as precise as it use to and it still drove like there was a big rubber-band in there instead of a steering rack.

3. FCABs again: well, the other day my front right wheel began to clunk when I would hit the brakes lightly. I check it out and the entire control arm is able to move. Clearly I need to have some stuff replaced, but the biggest thing loose is the FCAB. I can see the control arm moving, slightly loose in the bushing. I called Rogue Engineering and the guy was stoked that under the circumstances given, the bushings lasted as long as they did. He wanted me to use the street bushing again but I thought the track ones would work better for me. He reluctantly sold me the track bushings but warned me that, "I don't know if this is going to solve your problem given the huge size front tire you are running". So I will keep you posted on my results when I get the track ones installed.

This post is in no way a bash on RE (obviously 'cause I bought thier product again). I just wanted to report on my results to see what happens when you go with a square setup. Everyone raves about the benefits, but so far I have really had to upgrade a lot of the rest of the car to keep pace with the additional rubber. THis was a bit frustrating because I know the potential of the car. I also found that a good race shop is an invaluable resource. People who ACTUALLY race the car you are driving are who you want to talk to. Do not go to a regular shop that does alignments on 740iL's all day long, they just have no clue.

Last edited by MrPedals; 08-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
MrPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
I have the Rogue Engineering FCAB and they survived my abuse on the track. I couldn't say the same about the Powerflex FCAB.

I was using Brembo 6-pot front 355mm BBK with DTC-60 and 265/35/18 Nitto NT-05 square setup as well.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote