E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
I need MAC help. Booting from OSX disc and formatting hard drive

I have working on this Core 2 Duo white plastic iMac.

A client had us remove and destroy the hard drive about a year ago so they could donate it.

Then they decided to keep it and give it to an employee to use at home.

We ordered a WD 500gb sata drive.

I just spent an hour tearing it apart again and putting the new drive in.

(There was a small sensor on the old drive that we did not remove and it is long gone, I assume that is some kind of heat sensor)

When I boot up the computer I get a folder that alternates between a mac logo and a question mark...

I have a retail 10.6.3 OSX Retail DVD.

I boot up the computer holding "C" and hear the DVD drive spin up, but then nothing happens. (Maybe it is only a CD Drive?) It just goes back to the "unformatted hard drive" screen.

I have read that you can't boot a Mac from a DVD that is older than the computer, which this is not the case. This thing probably shipped with 10.4 on it.

I do not have the original cds, there is a slight chance I could get them, but not very likely.

What are my next steps?

I know the DVD works, I made a hackintosh with it once. I do not have access to another Mac..
Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
When I installed Mountain Lion they didn't even give me the option to format my hard drive. **** you Mac.

Also it's not C, I believe it's option.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
scott0482

C is to boot from CD. Option just brought up a screen that had an X and an Arrow on it. Clicking either one did nothing..
Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
OP,
Try linux - Make a live CD of any Linux distro from ISO (I suggest Ubuntu) and see if it boots the Live Demo..
Holding "c" key is correct. If this boots the Linux then it confirms all hardware is functional and that your OSX disc is the issue.

Let me know if this does the trick.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Press C during startup Start up from a bootable CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive (such as OS X install media).

The only option for retail media is OSX 10.6, there was no 10.6.3 retail media, since all incremental updates are free. The sensor you threw out is a thermal sensor and will make the iMac fans run at full tilt forever, even if you do get it booted. You should be able to hold C down and get it to boot. The "Folder to Question mark" icon flashing is because it cannot recognize a disc, which is probably the hard drive. It is possible the drive is not functioning, but if it recognizes a command and spools, it is unlikely.

The hard drive should be clean, but if it was formatted any way but OSX Journaled, it will not be able to write to it. You would have to start the install and use disk utility to format the drive.

Try booting without holding anything down, and see what happens. It is a long shot, but if no OS is found, and the computer starts searching for other media, it'll find the OS in the DVD drive. The flashing issue is normally when the start up disk is missing. Worst case, find an apple store and ask some questions, or send me your drive, and I'll install Snow Leopard, and update to 10.6.8 and ship it back.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
kaput

http://macs.about.com/od/snowleopard...install_sl.htm

2002 M3
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
scott0482

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
OP,
Try linux - Make a live CD of any Linux distro from ISO (I suggest Ubuntu) and see if it boots the Live Demo..
Holding "c" key is correct. If this boots the Linux then it confirms all hardware is functional and that your OSX disc is the issue.

Let me know if this does the trick.
Downloading Ubuntu now, even though I know I have other linux live CDs.. I just don't know where they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Press C during startup Start up from a bootable CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive (such as OS X install media).

The only option for retail media is OSX 10.6, there was no 10.6.3 retail media, since all incremental updates are free. The sensor you threw out is a thermal sensor and will make the iMac fans run at full tilt forever, even if you do get it booted. You should be able to hold C down and get it to boot. The "Folder to Question mark" icon flashing is because it cannot recognize a disc, which is probably the hard drive. It is possible the drive is not functioning, but if it recognizes a command and spools, it is unlikely.

The hard drive should be clean, but if it was formatted any way but OSX Journaled, it will not be able to write to it. You would have to start the install and use disk utility to format the drive.

Try booting without holding anything down, and see what happens. It is a long shot, but if no OS is found, and the computer starts searching for other media, it'll find the OS in the DVD drive. The flashing issue is normally when the start up disk is missing. Worst case, find an apple store and ask some questions, or send me your drive, and I'll install Snow Leopard, and update to 10.6.8 and ship it back.
There is a sticker on the OSX DVD box that says 10.6.3 on it. It was added later but someone, somewhere.

I do not want to take that thing apart again. My thumbs hurt.
I need to track down a MAGNETIZED torx screwdriver in the correct size, that is skinny and fits in the cracks between the screen and the case.

Where can I get another hard drive sensor? After the MAC is on for a few minutes the fans do start to run Full Tilt. (or is there software I can put on later to stop it - as I don't want to take that thing apart again).

I was wrong about not having access to another MAC, I have one sitting in the other room at work, which is mostly or completely identical to the one I am working on.

Let's say I grab the hard drive and bring it back here. How can I then install OSX on it? (I am not taking apart the iMac at work)
Maybe my bootable ghost CD will work.

This is a sensor.. do you think it will work, the mac is more like a 21 inch screen.
http://www.amazon.com/iMac-Drive-Tem...d+drive+sensor

I also read you can short out the cable. I don't know which pins to short out though.

Last edited by scott0482; 08-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
Downloading Ubuntu now, even though I know I have other linux live CDs.. I just don't know where they are.

There is a sticker on the OSX DVD box that says 10.6.3 on it. It was added later but someone, somewhere.

I do not want to take that thing apart again. My thumbs hurt.
I need to track down a MAGNETIZED torx screwdriver in the correct size, that is skinny and fits in the cracks between the screen and the case.

Where can I get another hard drive sensor? After the MAC is on for a few minutes the fans do start to run Full Tilt. (or is there software I can put on later to stop it - as I don't want to take that thing apart again).

I was wrong about not having access to another MAC, I have one sitting in the other room at work, which is mostly or completely identical to the one I am working on.

Let's say I grab the hard drive and bring it back here. How can I then install OSX on it? (I am not taking apart the iMac at work)
Maybe my bootable ghost CD will work.

This is a sensor.. do you think it will work, the mac is more like a 21 inch screen.
http://www.amazon.com/iMac-Drive-Tem...d+drive+sensor

I also read you can short out the cable. I don't know which pins to short out though.
Use smcFanControl to control fan speed.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
Use smcFanControl to control fan speed.
It will not work if all the sensors are not there.

If you have another mac available, and a firewire cable that can connect the two, you can boot the one you are trying to fix is target disk mode (hold T under boot) and use the DVD drive in the working one to format and install the OS on the new one. If it is not able to be seen by target disk mode, you are screwed.

If that is the case, and you are going to throw it out, I might want to make an offer, as I could possibly fix it.

2002 M3
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
scott0482

So, Do I need a sensor, or can I short out some wires?

I am not going to do target disk mode, because that would require me transporting one of those things. If the optical drive is bad, can I just plug in an external USB DVD drive and use that?

Are they any free drive clone utilities for Mac that you know of?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
scott0482

Ok..
I brought an external dvd drive out to the place to install osx.
That didn't work either.. I couldn't boot the thing from the osx or linux cd using either drive.

So I grabbed the mac and brought it back to the office.

I now have 2 identical Macs sitting side by side.
I am in the process on installing a fresh copy of 10.6 on the one.

I am trying to figure out this Target disk mode.
Apparently, it just turns a mac into a big external drive.

So in theory, I take the good mac, and boot it up while holding T
Then I connect them together with a firewire cable
Then I boot the "bad" one while holding option.

The problem is, I have already booted that thing a few times holding option, and it just has 2 crappy icons on it. An arrow pointing to the right, and a circle with an arrow in it.

Is that the correct procedure?

I have to take it apart again anyways to put the stupid hard drive sensor one when I get that. So I may figure out another way to get OSX on that drive with it out of the computer.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
I thought macs were so simple?????????

Target diskmode the "bad one", connect it to the good one, and create/burn or restore image to target computer.
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
scott0482

hold T on the bad one while it is booting up? Then what? I can somehow "push" the image to the bad computer from the good one?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
@slo They are simple ... if you have the right disc on hand. Just like any MS computer. smh

@scot0482 I've read every thing here and I'm confused. Everyone has pointed out you need? 10.8 or 10.6 disc which sounds like to me the OSX disc. Remember Macs come with two disc, a OS X Install disc and an Operating system Disc (i.e. Lion, Tigers, Bears). The main one you need is the OS X Install disc (in PC terms the Boot Disc). There are different according to which Mac you have. Mainly because every Mac uses a different keyboard layout. So for instance I cannot use my MBP 15in Unibody OS Install Disc on my PB G4 15in because they have different keyboards. The whole process would be simple, just pop in the OS X Install Disc for the model of your Mac and blah blah blah. (see link, page 8) I used to erase my hard drive on my Powerbook every two years, and do a fresh install, very easy to do. I'm assuming that its the same when you replace your hard drive.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/mac...ddrive_diy.pdf

If you don't have the install disc, you can ask a friend that has the same Mac or purchase one from Apple. I think they are $10..
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
slo323ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
hold T on the bad one while it is booting up? Then what? I can somehow "push" the image to the bad computer from the good one?
Do you have them connected through firewire?

Also you said you had an external, did you use the working computer to burn an image to? When you had the external connected did you hold down option to see if it saw the external?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
scott0482

They are at work, So I won't do anything until Tuesday or Wednesday.
They are sitting side by side on a desk with a firewire cable connecting them. I booted the "Good" MAC from the 10.6.3 DVD with no problems, and did a fresh install of OSX. So something is causing that other Mac to not work.

I don't have the original CDs that came with either of the computers.
I have an OSX 10.6.3 CD that I bought at Best Buy a few years ago.

When I hold option and boot the computer, It doesn't show any kind of boot menu with different options.

I have access to everything now. External hard drives, another identical MAC (with a fresh install).

Maybe that hard drive is not connected correctly.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
scott0482

I know it has been a long time.. but here is what I just did..

Took apart the computer.

Plugged the drive into another MAC using a USB to Sata connector.

Initialized and Mac Formatted the new drive.

Put in the OSX cd, and installed OSX onto the new drive.

I put it back into the old computer, and still get the same screen.

It cycles between these 2 icons.

Is it the lack of temp sensor? Does the bios not detect a drive over a certain size, or something? What gives?

The good mac booted completely from the drive, I setup a user, connected to wifi etc with it before powering down and putting it into the other one.

Last edited by scott0482; 09-24-2012 at 05:12 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
slo323ci

It is saying it can't find an OS.

Can you create an image from the working one, then restore it on the non working mac?

Last edited by slo323ci; 09-24-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Hook the fresh installed drive up to a USB enclosure and plug it into the "bad" iMac. Hold the option key at bootup. If you see the external MacOS drive detected, boot to it. If it boots you now know you have a SATA connector issue on the motherboard or a bad motherboard.

Temp sensors have nothing to with preventing the computer from booting. They only have an effect on fan speed.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
scott0482

It doesn't work.
I can boot to it from the good mac with option key, but not the bad one. Both using external usb to sata cable.

It's like the bad mac has an old bios or something.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557 Maybe firmware?

Good Mac: Boots from new drive, and does it very quickly btw.

Bad mac: gives me this screen, I can move the mouse, but can't click on anything.