E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Ate vs A1 Cardone vs original Master Cyl.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the pricy BMW master cylinders, The two options I'm finding are A1 Cardone re-manufactured or Ate new.

Background
I think its time to replace my Brake Master cylinder on my 325xit with 160K. When I apply the brakes the cars stops fine. When stopped when I push on the pedal with normal stopping force and it seams that the pedal will continue to drop over 2 to 3 inches after the pads engage. It does not go all the way to the floor (yet). Pads are new and the calipers appear to be working ok.

I plan to buy a power bleeder and will bleed the brakes before proceeding.

Any Ideas

Thanks for you input

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Don't buy a power bleeder. Use the two man method instead.

Try and get the abs to kick on a few times and see if the pedal gets harder.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
RGuill96971

My Ride: 04 m3
BMW brakes are made by ate
RGuill96971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
325xittt

Thanks for the input guys

K
Panic stops and getting my girlfriend pumping the brakes for me. Sounds like a good time. Whats the issue with the Power Bleeders? I've always did it manually but thought the PB looked like a good method if you were short handed (or footed) as the case may be.

R
Thanks for the ATE tip, I'll probably go with them if I need to. I don't want to repeat some really bad experience with aftermarket parts (control arms, ball joints, CABS, and CV axles)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
325xittt

Found this link from another post on how to bleed with GT1 exercising the ABS when bleeding, I may try it if all else fails
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/54/63
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
how's the fluid level in the reservoir? If low it can indicate a few things; a leak somewhere or a master cylinder seal that is leaking into the vacuum booster (actually getting sucked in). ATE makes most of the brake system parts for BMW.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I always use the 2-man bleeding method, don't forget to start at the wheel/caliper furtherest from the master cylinder (the right rear, then left rear, then right front and finally the left front as this method will require the least amount of fluid and will remove any trapped air the quickest).
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
boongsin12

My Ride: none
Power bleeding works fine. It makes bleeding a lot easier even for someone who has never done it. Also it does shorten the bleeding time as compared to 2 man method.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

2001 330Ci
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
K
Panic stops and getting my girlfriend pumping the brakes for me. Sounds like a good time. Whats the issue with the Power Bleeders? I've always did it manually but thought the PB looked like a good method if you were short handed (or footed) as the case may be.

R
Thanks for the ATE tip, I'll probably go with them if I need to. I don't want to repeat some really bad experience with aftermarket parts (control arms, ball joints, CABS, and CV axles)
Two-man method just works better. Much firmer pedal. Power bleeders can get air trapped in the abs system.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
325xittt

Fluid level is good and steady no loses. I haven't had a chance to panic stop yet. I may just exercise the ABS using the GT1/DIS method above per the link and get any air out of the ABS valves and bleed using the two man method. I've got to finish up my front end refresh first I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Kubica

^by all means use the GT1 if you have access to one.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Lippy

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the pricy BMW master cylinders, The two options I'm finding are A1 Cardone re-manufactured or Ate new.

Background
I think its time to replace my Brake Master cylinder on my 325xit with 160K. When I apply the brakes the cars stops fine. When stopped when I push on the pedal with normal stopping force and it seams that the pedal will continue to drop over 2 to 3 inches after the pads engage. It does not go all the way to the floor (yet). Pads are new and the calipers appear to be working ok.

I plan to buy a power bleeder and will bleed the brakes before proceeding.

Any Ideas

Thanks for you input
I have the Motive Power bleeder and have been using it for years with no problems.

Also, I work at CARDONE in Philly. Let me know if you have any questions about our reman Master Cylinders. Obviously I'm biased... but I think they are good.
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
I have the Motive Power bleeder and have been using it for years with no problems.

Also, I work at CARDONE in Philly. Let me know if you have any questions about our reman Master Cylinders. Obviously I'm biased... but I think they are good.
Can you let us know why reman Cardone axles for the xi have such a high failure rate compared to a couple years ago?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Lippy

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Can you let us know why reman Cardone axles for the xi have such a high failure rate compared to a couple years ago?
Hi Kubica, I checked with the product management team and they said the warranty rate or CV's is very low (including the E46 CV's).

I know a few years ago we addressed a BMW forum complaint about spot welding residue on the splines/misaligned inner housing. They actually changed part their process because of that complaint to fix the issues. I don't remember the exact application , but we are listening
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote