E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Small navigation stops working sometimes.

Hello!

I've got a 325ci from 2001, and i have the small navigation system, with navigation and cd changer in the trunk. (same size as the Business CD player but with a small navi screen)

And the other day it just didnt start, nothing worked, the radio died aswell.
So i thought it was dead, but sometimes when i start the car it starts as if nothing has happened. And then the next time i start the car it doesn't start.

Any ideas? can't find another unit like that here in Sweden and i refuse to install a normal aftermarket stereo.

If the unit itself is broken, could i possibly buy a normal Business player instead? i can't afford the avon/eonon units.

Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Diazz

Sorry for bumping this, but it's completely dead now and driving without any music is a pain, and i wonder what i can replace this with? preferably something with Aux/bluetooth, but just a radio would be welcomed right now. Like i said in my first post i can't afford the aftermarket avon/eonon etc, but hopefully i could use a Normal business player?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #3
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Never seen one of those.for curiosity do you have any pics of it?

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-10-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Diazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Never seen one of those.for curiosity do you have any pics of it?
http://img.mysoocuu.com/photo/ycarli...1110251125.jpg
Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazz View Post
Hello!

I've got a 325ci from 2001, and i have the small navigation system, with navigation and cd changer in the trunk. (same size as the Business CD player but with a small navi screen)

And the other day it just didnt start, nothing worked, the radio died aswell.
So i thought it was dead, but sometimes when i start the car it starts as if nothing has happened. And then the next time i start the car it doesn't start.

Any ideas? can't find another unit like that here in Sweden and i refuse to install a normal aftermarket stereo.

If the unit itself is broken, could i possibly buy a normal Business player instead? i can't afford the avon/eonon units.

Thanks!
At this point given how dated that unit is, I'd say look for an Eonon or Dynavin replacement. That unit you have is a fossil... the cost of another one or troubleshooting will probably cost more than a brand new Eonon
Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Diazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
At this point given how dated that unit is, I'd say look for an Eonon or Dynavin replacement. That unit you have is a fossil... the cost of another one or troubleshooting will probably cost more than a brand new Eonon
I actually managed to get one for free on a Swedish BMW group, the guy said he got it when he bought an e46 but didn't have the car. So i'm hoping it will work, i want a Eonon or similar but the budget just doesn't allow that atm.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
JJR4884

Quote:
I actually managed to get one for free on a Swedish BMW group, the guy said he got it when he bought an e46 but didn't have the car. So i'm hoping it will work, i want a Eonon or similar but the budget just doesn't allow that atm.
Well for what its worth, the Business CD is different wiring, so you cannot plug and play. If i'm not mistaken, the Eonon/Dynavin units do have plug and play options for e46's that are equipped with Navi if i'm not mistaken.

I would look into them to see what your options are. As far as plug and play options with an updated 16:9 BMW screen (the large one) I have no idea if that would work, in case this was another option being considered.

Did you check all your fuses and connections for the radio/nav?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
Diazz

Quote:
Well for what its worth, the Business CD is different wiring, so you cannot plug and play. If i'm not mistaken, the Eonon/Dynavin units do have plug and play options for e46's that are equipped with Navi if i'm not mistaken.

I would look into them to see what your options are. As far as plug and play options with an updated 16:9 BMW screen (the large one) I have no idea if that would work, in case this was another option being considered.

Did you check all your fuses and connections for the radio/nav?
Thank you for the information, i still wanted one of those but now i know i can't use it, luckily the one i got is the same model as i have, with a miniature navigation system.

Yep, no problem with fuses etc, and if the new one doesn't work i know for sure there is a different issue entirely. I also have an issue with the button on the turning signal stalk, i can't change info on the screen, i hope it isn't connected somehow.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
JJR4884

Quote:
Thank you for the information, i still wanted one of those but now i know i can't use it, luckily the one i got is the same model as i have, with a miniature navigation system.

Yep, no problem with fuses etc, and if the new one doesn't work i know for sure there is a different issue entirely. I also have an issue with the button on the turning signal stalk, i can't change info on the screen, i hope it isn't connected somehow.
What are we talking about here? There are 4 different options for you so let me clarify. In an earlier post, you mentioned you got another (small) BMW navigation for free? did you try to install that yet?

Small Nav OEM BMW - Plug and play
Large Nav OEM BMW - Not sure if plug and play
Business CD OEM BMW - not plug and play, pointless to spend the $$$
Eonon/Dynavin - should have option to plug and play with OEM nav equipped models

The turning signal stalk... you can't change the info on the screen. What screen? To my understanding, this info button changes the info in your instrument cluster. Time, temp, MPG, Avg MPG, Avg Speed, etc. What does this have to do with your Navigation unit?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Diazz

Quote:
What are we talking about here? There are 4 different options for you so let me clarify. In an earlier post, you mentioned you got another (small) BMW navigation for free? did you try to install that yet?

Small Nav OEM BMW - Plug and play
Large Nav OEM BMW - Not sure if plug and play
Business CD OEM BMW - not plug and play, pointless to spend the $$$
Eonon/Dynavin - should have option to plug and play with OEM nav equipped models

The turning signal stalk... you can't change the info on the screen. What screen? To my understanding, this info button changes the info in your instrument cluster. Time, temp, MPG, Avg MPG, Avg Speed, etc. What does this have to do with your Navigation unit?
I'm sorry if i was being unclear (English is not my first language)

I wanted to use the Business CD, now thank to you i know it won't fit so i don't even have to think about it.

The unit i got was the same that i have, the small Nav unit. And no i have not yet installed it.

Exactly, the screen in the cluster, the thing is that that is the exact same info i get in the navigation unit, which is why i thought they may be connected and with that something else was broken.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
JJR4884

Got it

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 05-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Well, the Nav drive has to be coded to monochrome to work with the monochrome. But it shouldn't affect the radio. I have the feeling this is almost like the Nav with standalone screen. You have a normal radio that powers the speakers and the display is just a display... no separate bm24 radio module, plus Nav, to a display like the 4:3 and 16:9 Nav.

I'd still suggest going and looking at the mk2i to mk3 upgrade PDF to confirm that. If it indicates you have no bm24, then it is just a regular self powered radio with a small display driven by the Nav built in. If you do have a bm24 it still could be just a headie problem.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
Diazz

A small update, i tried the other Head-Unit, it did not work, i pulled the fuses (again) and the weird thing is that #41 flashes when i put it back in? Still not working.

Today i took apart the module in the back, a black box under the GPS/Cd-Changer. Checked all the solders and also capacitors etc, nothing wrong with it. Any other ideas? Thank you so much for any input!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
Diazz

Another little update, i realized that the cruise control also stopped working, and i read somewhere in a thread when i googled that somebody asked OP if his Cruise Control works, but now i can't find that thread. Anyhow, yesterday it did start again, first time in weeks, it ran for about 2 minutes, one strange thing though was that my volume buttons on my steering wheel changed the radio stations? Tried resetting Kbus by leaving the battery off for 2 hours, no result

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Google "BMW E46 hidden obc functions." Test #9 shows the voltage as seen by the computer. Check and report back the voltage when the:
- ignition is in the "run" position but with the engine off
- engine idling
- engine reviving at 2000rpm.

These cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages create wacky issues.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:30 AM   #16
Diazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Google "BMW E46 hidden obc functions." Test #9 shows the voltage as seen by the computer. Check and report back the voltage when the:
- ignition is in the "run" position but with the engine off
- engine idling
- engine reviving at 2000rpm.

These cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages create wacky issues.
Thank you!

Ignition on: 125
Idling: 141
2k rpm: 142
Diazz is offline   Reply With Quote