E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #281
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
It turns out my demo video (the one the front page of www.pibus.info) is blocked in Germany due to a copyright claim by Sony. Apparently they are worried about the song you can hear playing in the background, which sounds terrible through a mobile-phone microphone and I even pause and stop it after a few seconds. Ridiculous

Can someone in Germany confirm, what does youtube say when you try to play it?
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #282
Joor

My Ride: 530i Touring
Factory DSP Pibus project

Small introduction since it is my first post (or reply) on this Forum.
Recently bought an E39 530i Touring, the E46 330i was getting too small for 3 kids in the back.

E39 has the "factory" DSP installed, which is nice but comes with an extra challenge for this project.

I came across this site http://www.alextronic.de/bmw/projects_bmw_dsp.html where I found out that the DSP has a S/PDIF in for the cd-changer.
Then came across this site: http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi to add a coax S/PDIF out on the Raspberry.

Maybe (with a little help from you guys) I can pull this off.

RPI (Model B) just came in the mail today
Pibus Ordered (will begin its "voyage-across-the-world" on Monday)
Hifiberry preordering for the 2nd batch starts late March.

Any hints or suggestions are welcome..._nr_
Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #283
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
It turns out my demo video (the one the front page of www.pibus.info) is blocked in Germany due to a copyright claim by Sony. Apparently they are worried about the song you can hear playing in the background, which sounds terrible through a mobile-phone microphone and I even pause and stop it after a few seconds. Ridiculous

hey pete, i took one to show to a mate - the music should not give anyone any copyright grief. Feel free to use the vid if you like.

Last edited by headlock; 03-17-2014 at 12:07 AM.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #284
Mopinsky

My Ride: 525iA E39
Quote:
The video plays fine but while the song is playing there is no audio. After the song, when you play the movie "Office Space" there is audio again.
Mopinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #285
anto

My Ride: M3 E46 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopinsky View Post
The video plays fine but while the song is playing there is no audio. After the song, when you play the movie "Office Space" there is audio again.
Exactly the same here in France
anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #286
knutuh

My Ride: 530D
Payback time, NOOBS problem solved maybe?

I have a confession to make. I have been lurking around reading everything you gays have said about the Pibus. I have actually even bothered Pete with an embarrassing email question. So now I have to pay back a little..

After banging my head in an invisible wall for a few hours I figured out something other PIBUS users might find useful; If anyone has used the very convenient NOOBS way to install OpenElect combined with a hdmi connected screen. Be aware that Noobs auto generates some settings, e.g., “hdmi_force_hotplug=1”. This resulted in no Xbmc on my head unit. Pressing spacebar during Pi boot will allow you to edit the config files to get rid of this.

I have a Xbmc picture on my head unit now, but I still have problems. It feels like the mode button works part time and then when the Xbmc shows up all buttons are on holiday...

My system is a 2002 530D with an 16:9 head unit with tape. I've got BM54 radio, cd changer, tv module, navi and phone. The navigation is upgraded to MK4.

And the embarrassing question... well I meet my first crimp pins ever and tried to do strange tings with them When Pete told me to undress the white and blue plugs and insert from behind I decided to tell you the story so other idiots can leave Pete to work on his genius project.

Knut (Oslo, Norway)_nr_
knutuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #287
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Don't want to thread jack but if anyone is after an assembled Pibus and cables please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #288
knutuh

"Boot sequence"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutuh View Post

...bla bla bla...

I have a Xbmc picture on my head unit now, but I still have problems. It feels like the mode button works part time and then when the Xbmc shows up all buttons are on holiday...
I'm up and running

Pete told me to check some, I connected the Pibus as usual and my intention was to write down what I did and what the system response was. But this time I didn't manage to do anything the radio played all the time. I decided to reboot the Rpi and try again and suddenly I was able to switch mode, control Xbmc and turn on music!

It seems like my problem was related to the “boot sequence”. What I did before was to unlocked my car, opened the trunk and connect the Pibus to the car. The Rpi started to boot immediately. Next step would be to turn on the ignition and the radio. Apparently this caused total confusion. (Can someone explain why? ).

Anyway, everything seems to work if I connect the Pibus-Rpi after the ignition is turned on. I guess this will be equivalent to the normal behavior when the Pibus-Rpi is installed in the car i.e., boot and shutdown as Pete intended.

Maybe this info can help others?

KnutUH
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #289
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
I'm up and running

Pete told me to check some, I connected the Pibus as usual and my intention was to write down what I did and what the system response was. But this time I didn't manage to do anything the radio played all the time. I decided to reboot the Rpi and try again and suddenly I was able to switch mode, control Xbmc and turn on music!

It seems like my problem was related to the “boot sequence”. What I did before was to unlocked my car, opened the trunk and connect the Pibus to the car. The Rpi started to boot immediately. Next step would be to turn on the ignition and the radio. Apparently this caused total confusion. (Can someone explain why? ).

Anyway, everything seems to work if I connect the Pibus-Rpi after the ignition is turned on. I guess this will be equivalent to the normal behavior when the Pibus-Rpi is installed in the car i.e., boot and shutdown as Pete intended.

KnutUH
Hmm interesting. I'll give this a go as I've always connected with ignition off.

Thanks

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #290
pabloMG

My Ride: bmw e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopinsky View Post
@PeteAU: Thank you. That was the solution. I can't believe I haven't tried this. Now it works perfectly!!!

Now I have to reorganise my music collection because I have got a couple of hundred MP3s in one directory (on USB) and it takes a long time to go into that directory and/or to play one of these many MP3s.

And I also must show my friends the whole thing.
what was the solution???y have the same problem
pabloMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #291
Mopinsky

Quote:
This was the solution.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #292
knutuh

Quote:
I'm up and running

KnutUH
Sorry, this was too simple. I do not think the boot sequence is the solution... My system is not working as intended.

Sometimes I am able to get it up and running; if I stop the car, turn the ignition back on without starting and then press Mode to select CDC (Rpi-Pibus). I can play music, look at video and control everything from the Head Unit. Everything works including steering wheel buttons. If I get to this point, I can start the car and drive off with the system still working.

BUT anything else (e.g., like open the car, wait, start the car and then try to select CDC) seems to fail. The Mode button do switch the display to Xbmc, but the radio takes over and the HU buttons are not in Pibus-mode. If I press Mode again I get Tape, then Radio and usually back to Xbmc screen (sometimes it is only Tape and Radio). My phone button does nothing (unless I use the phone). I run 'pibus -b -m -r ' from the pibus-20140225 zip file.

I have the feeling that my car add some sort of noise. I have started to dig into the IBUS world to try to find a solution. I've made a little awk script to do some translation of the pibus logfile. I can see a lot of IBUS activity, but I have to find time to dig a little more If some of you have been here and done this please push me in the right direction..

KnutUH
Old 04-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #293
Mopinsky

Seems to me that your pibus (on the Raspberry Pi) is not working as it should. Does the logfile state that the pibus program sends messages? Because it sounds like your pibus software receives the messages but fails to send any (but not always).
Old 04-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #294
PeteAU

Quote:
Sorry, this was too simple. I do not think the boot sequence is the solution... My system is not working as intended.

Sometimes I am able to get it up and running; if I stop the car, turn the ignition back on without starting and then press Mode to select CDC (Rpi-Pibus). I can play music, look at video and control everything from the Head Unit. Everything works including steering wheel buttons. If I get to this point, I can start the car and drive off with the system still working.

BUT anything else (e.g., like open the car, wait, start the car and then try to select CDC) seems to fail. The Mode button do switch the display to Xbmc, but the radio takes over and the HU buttons are not in Pibus-mode. If I press Mode again I get Tape, then Radio and usually back to Xbmc screen (sometimes it is only Tape and Radio). My phone button does nothing (unless I use the phone). I run 'pibus -b -m -r ' from the pibus-20140225 zip file.

I have the feeling that my car add some sort of noise. I have started to dig into the IBUS world to try to find a solution. I've made a little awk script to do some translation of the pibus logfile. I can see a lot of IBUS activity, but I have to find time to dig a little more If some of you have been here and done this please push me in the right direction..

KnutUH
Argh. Sometimes I think BMW made every E39/E46 is slightly different to annoy us.

If I were you I'd get it into the state where you see XBMC but can't control it. Then go to the boot and disconnect the 3-pin cable (the one with PIN17) and see what's on your screen. It should be CDC1-04, but I wonder if it's TAPE or something else.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #295
knutuh

Quote:
Argh. Sometimes I think BMW made every E39/E46 is slightly different to annoy us.

If I were you I'd get it into the state where you see XBMC but can't control it. Then go to the boot and disconnect the 3-pin cable (the one with PIN17) and see what's on your screen. It should be CDC1-04, but I wonder if it's TAPE or something else.
I've just checked this. If I have no control over xbmc and remove the 3-pin, the screen returns to RADIO. If do my trick (stop car, turn ignition back on, select mode) to get xbmc control and then remove the 3-pin the screen is CDC1-04.

I guess this means that the CDC emulation is not working all the time. Can this be hardware related?

KnutUH
Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #296
PeteAU

Quote:
I've just checked this. If I have no control over xbmc and remove the 3-pin, the screen returns to RADIO. If do my trick (stop car, turn ignition back on, select mode) to get xbmc control and then remove the 3-pin the screen is CDC1-04.

I guess this means that the CDC emulation is not working all the time. Can this be hardware related?

KnutUH
Could be. The radio should send this every 20-30 seconds, and then the PI replies. If even a single message is missed/corrupt then CDC mode will disappear and it'll return to something else (like FM/AM radio).

Code:
From Radio: 68 05 18 38 00 00 4d
RPI Reply:  18 0a 68 39 02  09 00 01 00 01 04 4c
Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #297
arthas

My Ride: 2001 e39 530d
Pibus strange noise

i ordered pibus and soldered. i connected raspi and pibus to my car(2001 e39 530d)
everything is ok and working.

But i have strange noise on background. i just connected ibus connector(no cdc audio and 3.5 audio jack) but still i have this strange noise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	553993

You can hear noise from video.

What is your comments about this problem?

Before i had started pibus "/storage/pibus -m &" but my navi is mk3.
i started pibus "/storage/pibus &" without -m parameter. Now noise like "gikirgkhh" is lost but background noise is still available.

Edit: Problem is solved using gorund loop isolator between pi audio out and cd changer cable.

Last edited by arthas; 05-09-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: problem solved
arthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #298
CaptainBMW

My Ride: M3
is there a place you can buy this already put together ? so i can just plug in and it works ???
CaptainBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 AM   #299
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Does anyone want my Wi-Pi dongle (like so: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Raspb...885230d&_uhb=1 ) ?
PM me.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #300
Joor

My Ride: 530i Touring
Succes! Pibus works in BMW 's with I-Bus and factory DSP.
Thanks Pete for the Pibus, it works great.

To get it working with factory installed DSP you "only" need an additional spdif digital sound out of the Raspberry Pi.

And you can accomplish that with the hifiberry digi. http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi

I had to desolder the Female header on the hifiberry and put an "stacking" header in place so the Pibus can be mounted on top of the hifiberry. (see pictures) and make a RCA to SMB coax cable to connect the Pibus assembly to the standard cd changer (sound) cable.

The hifiberry digi works with a modified openelec, next stable release (4.0) it will work out of the box. (as far as I understood)

Wish list:

I noticed the date is always on 1-1-1970. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to connect XBMC's time server to the cars time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0062.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	556872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	556873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg
Views:	170