E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #21
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
so would it be possible to run this in conjunction with my GROM plugged if i had a switch where the cd changer is?
GROM? I use pin 13 on the white plug of the TV module to input video and the CD changer for audio-in.

I don't really have any plans, just a schematic, board & incomplete software. If you really want a blank board, PM me your address and I'll stick one in an envelope. It shouldn't be underestimated what would be involved to build it:

1) Buy a Raspberry Pi.
2) Find a store to buy all the necessary parts (some surface mount, some thru hole).
3) Program the ATTiny microcontroller (you can buy a programmer on ebay for $5 from Hong Kong).
4) Buy a switch-mode power supply board from ebay - $2 and solder it on.
5) Play around with lots of little connectors/RCA cabling etc.
6) Find a way to mount it (in a box?).
7) Realise that the software is a work in progress and probably lacks the features you expect. Source code is available though.

Maybe these photos will put you off:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibus-rpi-blankboard.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	503914   Click image for larger version

Name:	ibus-rpi-interface-schematic.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	503915  

Last edited by PeteAU; 07-28-2013 at 04:59 AM.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #22
webdj

My Ride: e38
Can you share sources? i install raspberry Pi in my e38, connect in to ibus with hand made adapter and run Carmedia. all works but it too slow, i want to run xbmc and use ibus commands with it.
P.S. Sorry for my english, i am from Russian.
webdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #23
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmz View Post
GROM? I use pin 13 on the white plug of the TV module to input video and the CD changer for audio-in.

I don't really have any plans, just a schematic, board & incomplete software. If you really want a blank board, PM me your address and I'll stick one in an envelope. It shouldn't be underestimated what would be involved to build it:

1) Buy a Raspberry Pi.
2) Find a store to buy all the necessary parts (some surface mount, some thru hole).
3) Program the ATTiny microcontroller (you can buy a programmer on ebay for $5 from Hong Kong).
7) Realise that the software is a work in progress and probably lacks the features you expect. Source code is available though.

Where abouts in melbourne are you? I'd love to see it in action and that doesn't scare me too much haha
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
Where abouts in melbourne are you? I'd love to see it in action and that doesn't scare me too much haha
Very little to see, it's not even permanently installed in the car yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdj View Post
Can you share sources? i install raspberry Pi in my e38, connect in to ibus with hand made adapter and run Carmedia. all works but it too slow, i want to run xbmc and use ibus commands with it.
P.S. Sorry for my english, i am from Russian.
Coming soon, I can't attach zip/tar files here. Maybe I'll open a sourceforge project for it.

I'm trying to hook up the audio cable now but not much success. What's the deal with the 6-pin CDC connector? I'm just getting silence even when my screen says "CDC". I've hooked up:

Pin1: Left
Pin4: Right
Pin2/5: Ground

Is there a special ibus command needed to un-mute it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130507_125006.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	504340  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #25
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
So you still have the 3 pin ibus connected to the changer and the changer has at least one CD in it to play? You'll need something to fool it that the changer is there with an audio disc or it will skip it (or at least not play). Ultimately your software could/should emulate the changer on the Ibus.

What about using the Auxiliary interface instead? The solution I linked to above originally came configured for the CD changer input but I moved it over to Auxiliary to keep the CD changer functioning (not that I have ever used it!). There are a number of DIYs to add auxiliary input on later models at the display unit.

Pin numbering looks good to me.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
bgennette

My Ride: l322 Range Rover
Shonky is right, the computer in the Instrument Cluster won't send messages to the amplifier to allow it to select the CD output as the amplifier input until it is somehow convinced that 1) the CD player exists, 2) it has a disk selected, 3) play has been pressed and 4) the disk is actually turning.

You require some device (like your ATTiny) to fake the responses to status requests and produce the appropriate codes to satisfy the Instrument Cluster. Your microprocessor can do this easily. Others have researched these so you should be able to google the codes.

I love the idea of a raspberry running a full version of xbmc to the existing screen. Aux in, Video stream, reverse camera are good inclusions. If the raspberry has the capacity I'd like to see you reserve space on your interface board for bluetooth to phone and possibly gps (even if YOU never intend to implement them).

My vehicle is not a real BMW, it is an early l322 Range Rover that was designed when BMW owned Land Rover and shares many parts with the BMW X5, in particular the ibus infotainment system.

Keep up the good work ppmz,
bye.
bgennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #27
nicgala

My Ride: bmw e46 2004 318i
The multi media is fantastic.
I cant wait for the step by step instructions.Does it have a gps set up.
THATS AWSOME DUDE !
For DECLANM3
nicgala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #28
nicgala

You tube dude it will be fantastic
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #29
nicgala

Quote:
So I bought me one of those Raspberry Pi boards for $25 (actually more like $40 in Australia after shipping/gst etc) and hooked the video-out to my car. It works

It won't be easy, but potentially you could do lots of things with this, without ripping out your factory equipment:
1. MP3s with album art, playing from SDCard or USB
2. Videos off USB storage
3. Digital Radio
4. Digital TV? (antenna will be a problem)

Stay tuned, an interface to the headunit buttons is the next step.
(Dynavin) How did you get video out from your unit.Again can you please show me how you acomplished this great fate. Bloody amazing !
Step by step with extreme information.
Thank, I hope I can solve a problem you may have.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #30
nicgala

Quote:

1) Buy a Raspberry Pi.

I don't have this setup.What a shame.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #31
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicgala View Post
The multi media is fantastic.
I cant wait for the step by step instructions.Does it have a gps set up.
THATS AWSOME DUDE !
For DECLANM3
I'm not planning to write any detailed instructions because this project isn't for everyone, it requires too much electronics knowledge. But if you ask something specific I'll try to answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgennette View Post
You require some device (like your ATTiny) to fake the responses to status requests and produce the appropriate codes to satisfy the Instrument Cluster. Your microprocessor can do this easily. Others have researched these so you should be able to google the codes.
I have that working now (CDC emulation). Sound works Now I'm playing with the MODE button and making it automatically switch the video when it detects the CDC screen and switch back to the MK4 when you return to the main menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgennette View Post
I love the idea of a raspberry running a full version of xbmc to the existing screen. Aux in, Video stream, reverse camera are good inclusions. If the raspberry has the capacity I'd like to see you reserve space on your interface board for bluetooth to phone and possibly gps (even if YOU never intend to implement them).
I doubt I'll re-do the board. It has no GPS or bluetooth, but the Pi has USB ports so it's easy to plug-in a $4 bluetooth stick. I think you can ask the MK4 GPS for position data on the ibus. But honestly I actually like the MK4 navigation and see no need to replace it. I don't think you could beat it, it even does dead-reckoning.

Maybe another video this weekend if I make some progresss...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
nicgala

Under Coin tray

Under the coin tray is a female connection. What is it used for ? Help
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #33
nicgala

I'm a Technician by trade and the pink board is soldered behind the coponants. Was the componants included in the price you paid for ? I want one, and with some research you can obtain an iso image of a disk and download your gps.
Nic
Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #34
PeteAU

Nearly everything working well now Any volunteers to create a better XBMC skin?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #35
DeclanM3

My Ride: M3
DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

Quote:

Nearly everything working well now Any volunteers to create a better XBMC skin?
Coming along nicely. Much quicker now

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #36
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals

but in all seriousness I really want one of these!
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #37
Bausparfuchs

My Ride: E39. 530i touring
Nice work, as i already wrote you in the german e39 forum. Why dont you use psyborgs openbm software in combination with the pi and raspbmc like some of us do? The openbm xbmc-plugins are very rich-featured already and some additional developers wont harm the project ;-)
Bausparfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
PeteAU

All software released at: http://www.classiccomputing.info/pibus/
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #39
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
All software released at: http://www.classiccomputing.info/pibus/
Great work Peter!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #40
PeteAU

Finished modifying the pm3-hd skin, it's pretty polished now without bits of the GUI off-screen and unreachable anymore. BTW why are Samsung phones so bad at taking low-light videos?

I want to add digital TV next, but having trouble getting a strong enough signal. My dvb-t USB dongle might be too crap for the job...