E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #61
psyaon

My Ride: M3 E46 Estoril Blue
DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

Hi all

I am looking at doing something similar in my M3. I have already got my Pi (it is just sat around looking at me). i have an Arduino also so I am looking to try and use this. If anyone has any experience with Arduino and Ibus let me know your experiences.

I am still in the early stages but will keep updated on progress.

My background is more software than hardware, so will be a bit slow on the electronics side.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
psyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #62
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyaon View Post
Hi all

I am looking at doing something similar in my M3. I have already got my Pi (it is just sat around looking at me). i have an Arduino also so I am looking to try and use this. If anyone has any experience with Arduino and Ibus let me know your experiences.

I am still in the early stages but will keep updated on progress.

My background is more software than hardware, so will be a bit slow on the electronics side.

An Arduino is basically an Atmel AVR that's a bit more powerful than the processor I used. I guess you could use it, but you still need to translate the 12V ibus into what-ever voltage Arduino runs at - you can't plug it straight in. Then write your own (non-trival) firmware.

If you really want a shortcut and simplified version, then use a Resler USB interface straight to the R.Pi (google Resler IBUS). It would miss some features though like reverse-camera switching & automatic power on/off.

From public & private messages I think about 3-4 people are trying to reproduce my project. The pattern seems to be the all know software but struggle a bit with electronics. Who'll win the race to get it working first?
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #63
Davew

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

While on the subject of arduino,

http://robosavvy.com/store/product_i...oducts_id/1238

Was considering carputer/ arduino set up, thought it may be of interest to some???

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
psyaon

My Ride: M3 E46 Estoril Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmz View Post
An Arduino is basically an Atmel AVR that's a bit more powerful than the processor I used. I guess you could use it, but you still need to translate the 12V ibus into what-ever voltage Arduino runs at - you can't plug it straight in. Then write your own (non-trival) firmware.

If you really want a shortcut and simplified version, then use a Resler USB interface straight to the R.Pi (google Resler IBUS). It would miss some features though like reverse-camera switching & automatic power on/off.

From public & private messages I think about 3-4 people are trying to reproduce my project. The pattern seems to be the all know software but struggle a bit with electronics. Who'll win the race to get it working first?
Thank you for the reply.
After further research I think I will be going down the Resler route and just write some code to interface with it.

I have already got my PI setup with XBMC and a wireless dongle installed so that I can Airplay straight from my phone.

Going to order a USB interface in the next couple of days.

I will keep the updates coming ...
psyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #65
nicgala

My Ride: bmw e46 2004 318i
Rear end

Quote:
Jeeze, you're a tough taskmaster, I only just got the basics going. It was slow because there was a stuck program running in the background on the Raspberry Pi, I've solved that now. It's about 3-4 times quicker when clicking things.

The hardware has power even if you lock the car, just gotta add some software that gracefully shuts down after ~5 mins of inactivity.

Sure I'll make you one. It took me 6 months, so the invoice will be $50,000 or so (though there's $10 worth of parts on the board . If you're handy with a soldering iron and have lots of patience I can give you the plans.
Sorry to bother you guys but is there anyway I can view a monitor from the rear. nicgala Thanks
nicgala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #66
realvtk

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
Who is trying to DIY this?
realvtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #67
PeteAU

There's been some confusion about how to connect this all up, so I made this giant diagram:
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #68
realvtk

Quote:
There's been some confusion about how to connect this all up, so I made this giant diagram:
Thanks, it was very helpful
Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #69
webdj

My Ride: e38
Hello) i am from Russia) and sorry for my English=) I install raspberry pi in my e38, connect video to RV Camera input, audio instead of TAPE and hand made Ibus adapter. I install cis-ibus and it work very well, but it slow and i want to use XBMC) can i use your pibus software in my case? can i switch between bmw menu and xbmc with MODE button (XBMC in TAPE mode)?
webdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #70
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdj View Post
Hello) i am from Russia) and sorry for my English=) I install raspberry pi in my e38, connect video to RV Camera input, audio instead of TAPE and hand made Ibus adapter. I install cis-ibus and it work very well, but it slow and i want to use XBMC) can i use your pibus software in my case? can i switch between bmw menu and xbmc with MODE button (XBMC in TAPE mode)?
Not without modifying the pibus software a lot. It looks for the text "CDC 1-04" to switch the video and keyboard. It also does cd-changer emulation, you'd have to disable it. It also does re-transmit on the ibus, who knows if your adapter needs it, is it a TH3122 or something custom?

Unless you can program in C, the short answer would be no. Have you tried openBM on some German forums?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #71
webdj

you have cd changer emulation? if i connect audio instead of CD changer (with S/PDIF) there is a chance it will work?

OpenBM have not switch MODE between BMW menu and xbmc, gateaway works well, but i can not use radio, TV, Navi etc.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #72
PeteAU

Quote:
you have cd changer emulation? if i connect audio instead of CD changer (with S/PDIF) there is a chance it will work?

OpenBM have not switch MODE between BMW menu and xbmc, gateaway works well, but i can not use radio, TV, Navi etc.
Yes it has cdc emulation. It might work. My car doesn't have S/PDIF or a DSP, so I'm not sure - I use analog CDC input. What is your hand-made ibus interface? How do you control pin 17 (NTSC trigger)?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #73
webdj

i make this interface http://bmwcarx.com/web/Imagenes/norm...Esquema_V2.jpg
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
webdj

openelec do not work with COM-USB adapter? hl-340. no /dev/ttyUSB0=(((
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #75
PeteAU

Quote:
openelec do not work with COM-USB adapter? hl-340. no /dev/ttyUSB0=(((
OpenELEC doesn't have many drivers for extra hardware. Maybe try Raspbian? Or build my simple ibus interface straight to the PI's pin header, no drivers needed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibus-uart.png
Views:	173
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	518688  
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #76
webdj

cool) I make it) thanx) how I can connect NTSC (17 pin)?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #77
realvtk

Huge thanks to ppmz for huge patience and great help to get this work

Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...18740597212754
Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #78
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by realvtk View Post
Huge thanks to ppmz for huge patience and great help to get this work

Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...18740597212754
thumb up at the end of the vid said it all
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #79
PeteAU

A few people are asking where to buy all the parts to build this thing.
There is an Excel spreadsheet on my webpage listing all the parts - this is more accurate than the schematic diagram.

Last edited by PeteAU; 03-05-2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Outdated information
Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
theos

My Ride: Range Rover l322
Hi all,

just found this project and I'm really excited about it.
I own a Range Rover l322, which is manufactured by BMW and equipped with the same radio.
Currently I have a MK3 navigation, but I'm planning to upgrade to a MK4 soon.

Do you know if this system would work with a DSP amp? I Don't have a coax-connection on my CD-changer.

I'm a software engineer and as a hobby I like to play around with electronics. I wouldn't mind to do some hacking on it before it works.

thanks!
Theo
theos is offline   Reply With Quote