E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
JayPitch

My Ride: 2002 325i
What m54b30 parts improve a "b25 block?

I know that the head for both engines is the same and the 330 intake manifold is better but what parts from the 330 can make a car that came out of the factory as 325 better? I heard that they have different cams.

Last edited by JayPitch; 08-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.
JayPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
JayPitch

bump
Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I don't think much, I remember reading something on the forums about this. Try doing a search. most of the power from the 330 comes from the extra .5l displacement in the block.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
I seem to recall reading that a 330i long block is compatible with the 325i head, but the 330i head is not compatible with the 325i long block. Some 330i intakes and throttle bodies are compatible with the 325i. Dinan sells a throttle body to fit 325i:

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D760-3...dy.aspx#page=1

I've seen one for sale used on this forum.

There are a few threads about adapting the 330i intake and other parts, but they don't add much power for the trouble. You will get small gains improving the intake and exhaust on a 325i. I have the BMW Performance intake and exhaust (muffler) and it helps a little, but it is no 330i. Larger gains come from headers, complete exhaust, and supercharging. It's almost easier to swap the 330i engine in, but it is a high cost unless your engine is toast anyway. Swapping an M3 motor in requires almost a complete rebuild of the car and chassis. You can put in lower ratio rear end (higher numerically than what you have) and it will improve the acceleration at the expense of high revs at highway speed.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
JayPitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
I seem to recall reading that a 330i long block is compatible with the 325i head, but the 330i head is not compatible with the 325i long block. Some 330i intakes and throttle bodies are compatible with the 325i. Dinan sells a throttle body to fit 325i:

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D760-3...dy.aspx#page=1

I've seen one for sale used on this forum.

There are a few threads about adapting the 330i intake and other parts, but they don't add much power for the trouble. You will get small gains improving the intake and exhaust on a 325i. I have the BMW Performance intake and exhaust (muffler) and it helps a little, but it is no 330i. Larger gains come from headers, complete exhaust, and supercharging. It's almost easier to swap the 330i engine in, but it is a high cost unless your engine is toast anyway. Swapping an M3 motor in requires almost a complete rebuild of the car and chassis. You can put in lower ratio rear end (higher numerically than what you have) and it will improve the acceleration at the expense of high revs at highway speed.
I'm 16 I have no money for a motor swap or supercharger I'm just trying to make my 325 closer to 330 performance while still keeping 325 fuel economy. What BMW performance intake do you speak of?

Last edited by JayPitch; 08-25-2012 at 11:56 PM.
JayPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
You're not going to do that easily or cheaply without that extra .5 liters of displacement. You're trying to add 41 more HP on a very well-tuned engine block, and it's just not going to happen without either:

- A supercharger
- More displacement

You can squeeze a little HP here and there, but even if you were to get 41 more HP without doing anything major to the motor, you'd be spending an absurd amount of money on lots of little parts that each squeeze out maybe a few more HP.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
JayPitch

I might not be able to afford all of this at once but I was thinking getting zhp cams, better springs, some form of aftermarket cold air intake, 330 intake manifold, ebay headers, and an Active Autowerke exhaust. Is there anything I'm missing? I'm trying to stay naturally aspirated.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
The 330 gets its extra displacement from its crankshaft. Cylinder diameters are the same.

Get a cold air intake and ebay headers and be happy. If your car is a manual then delete your CDV and get a zhp shift knob while you're at it.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Also watch the weight of anything that you might consider adding to the car. There are rims that weigh 16 to 20 pounds and there are rims that weigh 23 to 28 pounds. A donut spare, an exhaust system, and coil overs can save weight. Watch what is being carried around in the trunk and kept the car maintained.