E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
weston_t

My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i
what is the best spark plug for a 99 323i?. they sell from about $2 to $5 each

so many plugs...what is the best?...platinum or copper? single electrode or split?

I dont mind spending more if I really am getting more....but dont want to waste money on a gimmick either..

Let me know your thoughts...

thanks..
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Chaplian

My Ride: M56 SULEV
NGK Double Platinum made for your car. Just go hit up a parts store and they should have 'em in stock.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
bmw roundel magazine editor, Mike Miller, recommends and is a huge proponent of OE/Genuine Spark Plugs consistently throughout the year. he never deviated from his spark plug recommendations

Last edited by ///M Protocol; 10-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
weston_t

what was the original oe plug?...
Old 10-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
///M Protocol
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston_t View Post
I don't know. the one you buy at the dealership
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
For chrissake, don't be so damn lazy. At least do a bit of research on your own.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
weston_t

It is not lazy to post and ask those who know...in fact it takes more time to post and wait for a response than it does to do the google search or call a dealership....I have found that you can research all day long on google...and get ten different answers...9 wrong....here I can ask those that REALLY KNOW....and no one has to answer if they do not want...so its not like I am wasting anybody's time...reading a post or answering is OPTIONAL..also dealerships and auto stores have a vested interest in selling certain brands...the guys here do not.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
///M Protocol
Banned User

Quote:
It is not lazy to post and ask those who know...in fact it takes more time to post and wait for a response than it does to do the google search or call a dealership....I have found that you can research all day long on google...and get ten different answers...9 wrong....here I can ask those that REALLY KNOW....and no one has to answer if they do not want...so its not like I am wasting anybody's time...reading a post or answering is OPTIONAL..also dealerships and auto stores have a vested interest in selling certain brands...the guys here do not.
OE for BMW is Duralast
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver

You can go with cheap $1-$2 plugs but it will require that you change it more often, like the same time you do an oil change. Ngk platinum ones are more spendy but aren't expected to be changed until 60-80k miles

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
buguyed

My Ride: '02 330i

Just buy the NGK platinums and get on with life. Oh and get 6. They're cheap on amazon.

Also, a google search will quickly show the OE plugs are BMW OEM (NGK BKR6EQUP).

2004 E53 3.0i - TiAG
2002 E46 330i - TiAG
1999 E46 328i - Sold
1961 VW Beetle - Ragtop Sedan
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
It's absolutely lazy to ask one of the most fundamental maintenance questions related to our cars that's been answered an innumerable times before.

Go ahead and start a thread asking what coolant or oil is best and see how it goes.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
weston_t

I am guessing mountain bound must be a cranky old woman...from the sound of his post...only people I know that are entirely too serious about something simple are old women...
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
When I was at the dealership earlier this year getting my VCG, I asked them how much they charged for spark plugs - $180 or $30/plug LOL

Just buy them on amazon or at your local autoparts store. OE are NGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Christ...

I hope you come back in 5 years and read these posts.
You come off as an angry ghetto kid with mental issues.

I'm sure its really a stellar achievement to buy a five thousand dollar car, pimp it out craigslist wheels, and slap on some ebay springs.

Congratulations, your car is a disaster.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
weston_t

yea umpersay....the dealerships are crazy price wise...and give out info thats not so accurate so they can sell their own stuff...the best info is probably from an independent bmw mechanic...but if you call a shop your just for information your sort of wasting the mechanics money making time...that is where sites like this one are good...if someone wants to chime in that can...fully optional...impossible to waste anyones time..
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
I am guessing mountain bound must be a cranky old woman...from the sound of his post...only people I know that are entirely too serious about something simple are old women...
Yes, the fact that you're too incompetent to determine what the OE spark plug is for our cars, which has been done by thousands of people before you, clearly makes me an old woman.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by buguyed View Post
Just buy the NGK platinums and get on with life. Oh and get 6. They're cheap on amazon.

Also, a google search will quickly show the OE plugs are BMW OEM (NGK BKR6EQUP).

Here is your answer.. ^^^

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
weston_t

yes..your correct..your attitude clearly makes you sound like an old woman
Old 10-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
yes..your correct..your attitude clearly makes you sound like an old woman
rofl......I think you're trying to insult me, but you're failing in the same fashion. Even if it were the case, I don't see anything wrong with being an old woman. I guess you have no sense of respect for old women? It's far better than being lazy and incompetent, which you are handily proving with your attitude.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
weston_t

I said CRANKY OLD WOMAN....and I think anyone on a car forum who is upset about a car question relating to spark plugs to the extent you are is a little worrisome. you even go so far as to say that no one should ask about the correct coolant. But there are experts who say the wrong coolant can do damage..I want to know what the guys who have experience with bmw's think is the best plug...not the manufacturer...manufacturers lie for various reasons....increased profits...covering their own liability for defects ..etc...and my google has as many untruths as it does amazing facts..
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Mtnbound is correct. A simple search of the forum will bring up countless other threads. But to answer the question the OEM plug is as stanc3 quoted NGK BKR6EQUP. No need to try to go cheaper. I got 100k out of the first set of plugs and they looked amazing when I replaced them.