E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Head will NOT separate from block

2000 323i. I have battled for 3 hours to separate the head from the block with NO success.

Could someone please confirm there are 14 head bolts PLUS two smaller bolts, one in each corner at the front of the head, holding the dead to the block.

Please tell me there are NO more bolts hidden anywhere.

Thanks.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Wow, tough going.
I'd say if you've cleared all accessories, it's just a matter of finding a way to pry that head off.
What about getting a thin cold chisel and gently working it in at one corner and tapping it in?

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Barneyhyphen

Dont really want to go anywhere near any of the surfaces with anything screwdriver/chisel like.

What I HAVE done is inserted an Long Oxygen sensor socket in to the water pump port with a 3/8" socket extension bar inserted in to the socket, extendond out about 4-5" beyond the front face of the head and placed a bottle (hydraulic) jack, between the crankshaft pulley and the above mentioned extension bar. then applied jack but STILL not moving.

Do I have the bolt count correct or is there another hidden bolt?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
There are 14 head bolts.
Did you remove the water pipe?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/35/70
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Barneyhyphen

Thank you for the TIS. Yes, have removed the water pipe nut and pulled pipe clear.

This isn't a case of the head moving but just won't come free....it's as solid as it would be if I hadn't removed any head bolts!!!!!!!

BH
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Well, I've never removed the head on my 330, but from other experiences, you're looking at a unit that hasn't been taken apart in 13 years, and for (I'm guessing) at least 150k miles.

Reach deep down, grab some testicular fortitude, and pry hard. Also, the cold chisel around the edges isn't a bad idea. Be gentle, and it should work just fine.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Barneyhyphen

I think I agree. The 13 years and 147k has taken it's toll! moderate Testicular fortutude, along with bottle jack, 4 lb club hammer and large screwdriver all applied. Still no movement!!!!!

I'm leaving it overnight under jack pressure and liberal spraying of penetrating fluid. It may "pop" overnight. Yeh, 1/1000 chance.

Any and all other suggestions willingly accepted.

BH
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Barneyhyphen

In the past 40 years, I've probably done 8-9 head gaskets....this one HAS to be the most tedious I have ever encountered.

In retrospect, it would have been far quicker to pull the engine to tackle this job.

BH