E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
first time polishing my car

So I have had my car just over a year and I done my best at keeping the paint as clean as I can. When I first got the car I washed, clay bard and waxed it. I have tried keeping wax on it as much as I can but if deff doesnt have the finish that it once did from when I got it from the car lot. The hood and passenger side does have newer paint and finish since I had to have it all replaced. The car hasnt lost its shine by any means, when its clean, it shines, its just getting a little dull.

So Im thinking all that needs to be done is the car needs a good polishing and I may want to put a sealant on it rather then a wax. I would most likely put wax on the sealant just for extra protection.

So where do I start. Should I wet sand? I do have a few scratches that have been covered with ScratchX but there are also a few that I dont think ScratchX is going to cover completly. There are also minor swirls and water stains.

What shouldI look for in a polish. I dont have a buffer but I do have a few corded and cord-less drill since my dad build houses for a living so what pads should I look for.

Bascily lay it all on me as it goes for polishing. I have looked a few things on autogeek and poor boys just to get an idea. I dont want to mess this up. THanks alot guys.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Oh boy...

First of all, chill out and take a step or five back.

Let's start with the big things first. No power drills at all and no wet sanding. Please, otherwise inb4ifvckedupmypaintwhatdoidonow.

What are you looking for in polishing your car? You are saying it shines when it's clean which it should. Even a polished car when dirty doesn't shine so I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for here. Are there severe swirls or scratches on the paint? Deep marks that your fingernail catch on won't be fixed by any amount of polishing.

You say you have minor swirls and scratches which is an easy fix but it will require a substantial investment in terms of equipment and materials before you'll get the best finish. If you're willing to do that then we can go on, otherwise please contact a quality detailer in your area to help you out. It'll be cheaper that way than to buy your own stuff.

My guess is that if you don't want to spend a lot of cash on something, strip the existing wax off and reseal/wax it and be done. If you're willing to put money into this (like ~$300 or more), then let us know and we can recommend a set up for you. On the flip side, you can call up a detailer for probably ~$200 and get it all done without the headache.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
lakedude90

I just feel like it could be shinier. Plus i don't like the swirls and water spots and would like to get some of the smaller scratches out. I doubt i would use my drills tbh. I know a couple people i could prolly get a buffer from.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
328Coupin

My Ride: 328ci
Wash, clay, buff, then wax. I detail cars back home when I'm not at school.
328Coupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
lakedude90

gotcha. I guess im just getting use to my version of clean. I think im gonna look around for a good detailing place and look at prices. might talk to my freind a high end body/detail shop and see if he can pull some strings lol