E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
XPGLD

My Ride: 05' 330i, 75' C20
XP's 05 330i /// ZHP 6MT

So I figure it's time I make a thread, been prowling the forums for a bit now, and I finally found something worth showing off a little.

My introduction to the e46 world was a family owned 2000 328i with an automatic transmission. I always loved the car, it was my mothers before she eventually sold it to me close to a year ago. The car had seen a lot of abuse, both mechanically and aesthetically, interior especially. The only thing that was still in fairly good condition was the Steel Blue Metallic paint. When I was a teen my brother and I would imagine it was a poor mans M3 and drive the piss out of it any chance we had to be behind the wheel. We had 2 generations of Scottish terriers ravaging the dove grey interior, the motor popped around 155k and was replaced by a shop, shortly before I was sold the car. I wound up selling the car at 167xxx. Mostly because I was getting afraid that the next maintenance was going to be replacing the transmission.

Solid car, and after owning it I fell in love with the chassis, the interior, the styling of the 4 door e46. Everything about it was a joy to drive, but I still wanted more, especially after owning nothing but manual transmissions since I got my license. Driving the automatic was a bit soul draining. Nothing felt terribly rewarding, taking a corner, or even just making a pass on a highway.

So pretty much after I got that car I started doing some digging. Looking for a later-ish year model 330i. The only real stipulation being that it's has less miles than my current car, does not have a dove grey interior, and is a 6mt.

Seeing all your guys beautiful M3's on the forum, I got that bug for quite a while, thinking that was what I needed, and although I'll admit, who doesn't need an M3, I finally kicked the itch and decided it just wasn't going to be the car for me.

So I checked craigslist, I checked autotrader, I checked ZHPmafia and this site of course too. I never had my eyes set on a ZHP specifically, but the day after Halloween I see a 330i pop up on autotrader 15 miles away from my house. And to my surprise, it's in my price range, has every option that I decided was what I wanted, and has 55xxx miles on it. The dealership had just received the car a day or two before I wound up picking her up. She wasn't even on the lot yet, was still all the way in the back by the maintenance garage. So I fell in love with her, traded my 328i, put the largest downpayment I could without forgetting groceries, and drove her off the lot 2 hours later.

Without further adieu, my new to me ZHP =)

It's really not much of a build thread, yet at least. There aren't a lot of mods I plan on doing as I'm happy with the vehicle, currently at least!

I will eventually buy some black kidney grills to get rid of the only chrome on the car, and an illuminated shift knob would be nice as well. I'm definitely open to any mod suggestions anyone may have.

Glad to be part of the community, thanks for reading!

Curtis
XPGLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
Nice find. Enjoy

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
bmwerkes
Para-Magic

My Ride: 01 330i, 5 spd
Nice, low miles too..
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
XPGLD

Thanks, i've been so happy with the car it drives very nicely. Put her up in the air and checked the subframe over the weekend for signs of cracks, and pretty much wormed around under the car checking bushings and anything I could inspect. Everything looks great so far. Spark plugs and fluids will be coming up in the next few weeks.

Ordered an auxillary kit for my stereo so I can hook my phone up to it. Not sure how permanent that will be though as the Dynavin N6 is awfully tempting. Will probably just route it through the glovebox for now so I don't have to drill anything out yet for the mounting plate.

The only issue so far with the car are that the power mirror switch does nothing. When it's in the drivers side positon and the transmission is put in reverse the auto shunt still engages for parking. Going to start by buying a new switch, and if that doesn't work a new control module. If neither of those fix it then I'll just do more research into the problem.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Nice pickup!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Brandjas18

My Ride: 325xiT
Jealous for sure. A low mile ZHP is winning!

2002 E46 325xi Touring (Schwarz) - Current
2005 E46 330i ZHP (Titanium Silver) - sold
2003 E46 330i ZHP (Silver Grey) - sold
2002 E46 M3 (Steel Grey) - Sold
1986 E30 325e - Sold
1995 E36 M3 (Alpine)- Sold
1995 E36 M3 (Cosmos) - Sold
Brandjas18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
XPGLD

Thanks guys, I plan on taking good care of her.

My OEM aux cable came in last night so installed it this morning. All pretty standard stuff. Honestly what took me the longest was manipulating the dashboard trim pieces enough to get them out. I've had bad luck with trim pieces in my past so I'm always incredibly careful when taking them off for the first time.

I decided to run it through the glovebox. If I felt the bmw business CD was going to be more permanant I would have definitely ran it through the sunglasses compartment under the hvac but I'm still toying with buying a Dynavin N6 so I wanted it to be as non obtrusive as possible.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
XPGLD

Decided to clay/buff/wax the old lady today! Completely new experience to me, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Looking good!

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Congrats on the new acquisition. Looks like she's got a good home.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
XPGLD

Alright big update in the form of hammering out my preventative maintenance. The car came with some records, all be it incomplete records. I've been doing a bit of research, and I've taken it upon myself to replace a "few" things. I would love it if someone could look through this list and see if I'm missing anything that they would recommend replacing as well.

Currently sitting at 66xxx miles

No huge signs of any issues as of this moment no codes, so I'd like to keep it that way for a long time. I have a bit of a studder in the lower rpms, that ranges from noticeable to nonexistent. I have a good squeel during cold engine start up, only effective when I'm letting out the clutch and providing revs, goes away after about 5 minutes of driving. Also I have a consistent air sucking sound coming out of the engine bay. Hard to gauge if it gets worse in higher rpm's because that's generally when it gets drowned out by road noise. Car eats about a quart of oil every 5 to 6k miles. No leaking fluids I check the garage floor pretty consistently.

So, hoping that the squeeling sound is belts and tensioners, doing a full replacement on those, the air sucking sound I'm unclear on, I've read that it may be anything from lower intake boot to small vacuum leak. Hoping that the CCV refresh will slow down the oil-eating, I've also heard that 1 quart every 5-6k isn't unheard of and not crazy unhealthy, but Its enough for me to throw money at the problem to see if it can be remedied.

While I'm doing spark plugs I plan on doing a full pressure test / wet / leak down to find compression.

K so here's whats been eating my savings fund.

OEM Air Filter
AC Belt Tensioner with Pulley
Mechanical Belt Tensioner with Pulley
Upper Idler Pulley for Main Drive Belt
AC Belt
Serpentine Belt
Lower Intake Boot
OEM Fuel Filter
Power Steering Fluid Resevoir
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Bremi Spark Plug Connector Boots
Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gasket + Grommets
Mann Cabin Air Filter
BMW OEM Heater Fan / Blower Motor Resistor
NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs

Turner Motorsports Cooling System Overhaul
OEM Radiator MT - 17119071518
EMP/Steward Water Pump
Coolant Temp Sensor
Coolant Level Sensor
OEM Expansion Tank
Electric Fan MT - 17117561757
Thermostat
Radiator Cap
BMW Coolant stuffs

ECS Tuning Cold Climate Oil Separator Kit Level 2
Contains a bunch of oil separating goodies

DrVanos Dual Vanos, Fully rebuilt
DrVanos Disa Valve (Rebuilt w/ Aluminum Stuffs)

I decided to do my engine maintenance first, I know I am completely overlooking suspension/tires at this point, but that is going to be coming within the next month or two. Everything feels pretty good, no weird noises. A little steering wheel vibration on some road surfaces, but I'm thinking that might be more due to my tires being at the end of their life.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by XPGLD; 08-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
MrTRex

My Ride: 02 330i M-tech sedan
Nice car!

'02 330i Mtech II sedan -- H&R/Koni -- VMR VB3
MrTRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
XPGLD

Thank you MrT

The reason for my shotgun approach to preventative maintenance is that I am a part time student, getting an AA transfer down to Central WA for a bachelors degree. Right now I have a full-time job that pays my bills with enough extra to do the little things I like to do.

Once I go down to finish my bachelors I really don't see myself having the time for much more than a part time job, and with that, not a lot of money coming in. I'd like the big PM stuff on the car to be done, and not have to worry about it until I am graduated and working in my field.