E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
87Euro

My Ride: 04 330i
87 Euro - Restomod - OEM+ eventually

This is a copy and paste from another board I'm on at first, so will get you all caught up. But Kid before didn't do all the maintanence so getting goin on that. Ordered up Besian Systems VAnos repair, Valve cover Gasket and grommets, and various other items this morning to include 0w40 European Synthetic. Been driving it with a few no starts, this is due to the Crank Sensor not being replaced yet, can't get to it, so going to go forward with that soon, and then do the top gaskets and Vanos probably around the 1st of Feb once it all comes in. Initially was going to get this car, fix it, and sell it. But have decided to sell my Truck instead as the BMW is mine, title in hand. Alot of work into it, but it's paying for it'self with mileage over the truck.

My skill on cars is pretty high, so not afraid to jump in, expect some maintenece type of updates first, then I'll start prepping it for Road course, daily driving, and autocross type of use. Eventually it will probably get the manual swap, but not till the Slushbox goes out.

So,

Traded the 1992 Lexus SC300 that had the 1JZ-GTE VVTI swap with Coilovers, horrible interior, bad body panel alignment, 198k on the car and around 40k? on the swap.

I got a 2004 BMW 330i with 102k on it flawless interior except the A and C pillars and only a few minimal dents on the outside. Has 19" chrome rims and new tires along with new exhaust.

The bad part, guy ran a rear/remote mount turbo on it and Cut the bottom of the spare tire mount out.

Enter the project portion

Got it on Jack stands yesterday and started tearing into it. I'l update as I go, but will weld in place wiht my little 110 flux setup, then seal it up and put dynamat on it after I have it sealed and painted.

Car is super super nice, but has an intermitten starting issue - I am actually waiting to pull codes on it -when the reader comes in I will see, could be one of about 4 things from the Key to the Alternator, to the voltage regulator and the relay, once that is fixed, I may have to think hard because it's paid for, and BB is around 10k - so considering keeping it for a year or so paying off all other bills and selling my truck, then after I sell m ycurrent house and get the bigger house, I may get a better truck that gets better mileage.

Time will tell, but here are pic's

Let me know what you think

Old and New - the Lexus in the background

The main issue:

The interior and the eye sore A and C Pillars:

Small issue on the rear bumper:

Front bumper is jacked - found stock takeoff shipped for 75 bucks Spent 32 bucks on new trm for the stock bumper

At the house before it went under the knife, drove it to work for 4 days in a row, only had the starting issue once. Drives like a damn Dream - stock suspension just on the 19's.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
87Euro

Then, it looked good, but had the "what lies beneath syndrome" and I want to make money or get my truck up for sale.

I will say, if it was a Manual, would be NO question, i would sell the truck and keep the car fo a year or more as my only vehicle, but with the Auto, ehhh.

Going up:

STupid stickers removed - think i lost like 45 hp...

Turbo out! Garret 60 Trim - bad seal - all hard parts are inside it - no pieces or fragmentation - was happy to see that Definately rebuildable!!!!!!! May sell it

Home Depot 22 Guage steel, should work;-)

How I left it - galvanized and zinc treated with a Flux core makes for some ugly welds, but penetration is good, minimal splatter and no holes. Tonight i will do some cutting and folding then more tacking and possibly get under the car and do some additional tacks, hope to cut out the additional piece and have it completely sealed tonight, then will prep and paint it!

What you don't see is the intercooler piping that I had to remove and the oil feed line.
It was a bitch to get out and I still haven't gotten the front side of the intercooler piping removed, guy was a sheet metal fabricator in the navy, definately overbuilt the intercooler piping!!!! Great fab work on the kit except the mounting of it in the trunk...

More work done tonight

All intercooler piping is out now

Battery is charged, started removing the plaid interior trim, and boy it's going to be a bitch to get it done, will order up some grey vinyl to do it right though tomorrow at work;-)

Here's some progress.

Cleaned up a bit:

Starting to seal it:

Bunch more work left to do on the bottom, but definitely making progress

Trim removal...

And since the woman is gone, i did a bunch of spackling in the house, yesterday, then prepped it and textured it tonight. Tomorrow night will be paint and possibly removing some wallpaper, guess we will see.

Time to be productive
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
87Euro

Thanks guys, and if I take one of these jobs taht i have to drive quite a ways for that I'm applying for today, this may be the best one, FYI, my current job is good, just lookign to switch to managment so may have to drive further for that one to Orlando. Turned down the one before, but still open to the 45-60 minute commute in the mornings honestly.

Anyway, no idea why someone would do this to a somewhat classy car:

I hate to admit it, but - After working on the last few vehicles i put significant work into - this car is a Joy to work on guys.

83 Capri - nitemare - brittle old wires, carb issues, troubleshooting was a head scratch some beers and hell lets see if this works
90 F150 - same thing but with early iteration of EFI and Speed Density
95 - Mustang - GTS, issues everywhere with everything.
92 Fox - Nothing wrong - just didn't click with the car and never even tagged it
92 4Runner - everything needed replacment, troubleshooting was OBD1 and very limited
02 Mustang GT - not bad, but had developed a hate for the car after parting it out, so loathed every minute i was working on it.
98 Suburban - was a rust belt relocation to Florida - was fun doing the MPFI conversion on it though
92 Lexus - Was fast and fun as hell but was a Swap car, so had to throw my hands up on the wiring a few times, and fit and finish was that of a 1992 swap car...
12 VW GTI - didnt' do much but it's fit and finish was behind the fit and finish of this 2004 BMW.
07 Silverado - I thoroughly enjoy tinkering on this one, but of course, it's either going soon to get rid of the payment or it will be my long haul ride ~5-7 more years.

I can't belive i'm saying it but the BMW is just fun to work on, trim removal, rear panel fitment, Fuse panel layout, engine and sensor layout, it all makes logical sense, and every piece has a purpose where as some of them i'm like WTF?

Funniest or saddest part about this post, the above vehicles are in the last two years...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
87Euro

Little more done tonight, not tired so may go back out and do some more as well. Never saw a dissasembly of a coil pack like this, LOVED it, plugs were original and 102k, put the exact stock NGK's Laser Platinums back in between the plugs, new crankshaft and both Cam sensors I ordered and clearing codes and getting it all back together I think she is going to feel like a new car. Most stuff I'm reading online is stating that the VANOS not working is around 15-20 hp down low and as much as 40 hp up top!!!

Front bumper isn't in till Monday or Tuesday, but she will be getting back out of the garage tomorrow as GF gets back tomorrow night and will park in the garage. I will pull her up on my ramps for the sensor replacements and the rest of the interior issues - ie waiting on the vinyl as the adhesive came in today

Coil Pack 3 wires clip on, then pull up, REALLY nice setup

The 102k mile NGK's, not bad IMO, in order from 1-6

Number 2 looks bad but looked in at top of piston and it looked clean, the oil fill is right above it and has some residue, also these suckers are known for valve cover issues etc.
Buttoned up the back today

Put the crappy bumper back o nteh front as well and driving it, replaced two of the 3 bad sensors and holy hell, new car, read i was down 40 hp from the CEL, I belive it now

Buttoned up

And underneath:

Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
87Euro

till to be determined but need to put some more time in it, codes are gone, still a hard fault in it but will have to take it over to dealership to get that one pulled, have ot replace that last sensor before i do that, but just haven't had time.

I'm going ot put it up HIGH and on jackstands instead of the ramps I have, they are not high enough.

The parts to put the new bumper on the front are in the mail now, so I will be happy to do taht. I'm going to plasticoat the center of the chrome rims a well and go ahead and get some rubber on the 19x10.5's and tuck them up on the rear I guess if I'm driving it daily, might as well look good and I'm not a fan of stretched tires nor super low profiles, so probably a 255/40 or 275/40 for the rear, the 255 will fit with no more modificitons, for the 275 need a BFH and fender roller...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
87Euro

And that's where I'm at, i did alot of interior work but no pics posted yet, been really busy and now deciding to keep it I'm going to start doing all the little fixes to it as well as updating on this board as opposed to my other one.

Let me know what you guys think.

Would consider a trade of all 6 of these rims for some M62's or basically any Staggered M series rim setup, I prefer lightweight and stealthy as opposed to VIP and blingy...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
What the hell was up with PO?! The trunk, wow...
Is that 5 series bumper, because it sure doens't look like M3 bumper? ;\

I have same wheels, except rears are 19x9.5, and mine are plain machined, not chrome. Do you know who makes the wheels, or what style # they are supposed to be?
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
87Euro

Yeah, have my work cutout to get it back to OEM, then I'll go OEM+ the rims are Eurotek, my rears are actually 19x95 not 10.5 and they are ET20 - the ones I don't have on it yet anyway. I don't know the size of the 4 on it currently, nor do I know the ET on them, will get it soon.

The tires on it right now are backwards as well, meaning a stretch in the rear and a 245 in the front...

Lots to work out.

I have a stock bumper to go on the front now paint matche with all new trim pieces, but he hacked the mountings so I'm fixing those slowly and will get it all mounted up soon.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
NPVR6

My Ride: 540i-6, 328i
You just ripped that rear mount turbo out like it was nothing! Was there a re-tune involved when you took it all out?

Isn't anyone at all interested in the turbo setup? I know there are a ton of threads asking about quick and easy turbo setups, this could be one of them!

Throw the piping and pumps in the classifieds for someone to snatch up and use.
540i-6 - High Flow cats-Custom Headers-Magnaflow Muffler.-Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEHBOY View Post
Person B needs some D in their A.
NPVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
87Euro

^^^ yeah, been thinkinga bout that - it is missing the tubing for the oil feed but has the full oil pump mounted in the back, and all the pipeing but no intercooler.

He ran it for about 3 weeks to test it out, and no -he did not tune it.

It would be a good/quick setup for someone and I would proably let it all go for like 300 bucks but it would be a Bear to ship. I doubt I will boost this car, it's plenty capable for what i'm going to use it for, Autocross/Road Race down at Sebring and up at Road Atlanta occasionally and daily driving.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
What the hell was up with PO?! The trunk, wow...
Is that 5 series bumper, because it sure doens't look like M3 bumper? ;\

I have same wheels, except rears are 19x9.5, and mine are plain machined, not chrome. Do you know who makes the wheels, or what style # they are supposed to be?
Might be the hamann version. I think.

Want To Buy:
M3 Side Skirts - Mtech II Rear Bumper Trim

For Sale:
Nankang Ns-ii 245/35/19 - Nankang Ns-ii 225/35/18 - Mtech II Front Bumper - Titanium Burnt Exhaust Tips - Raceland Adjustable Coils - GTR Hood

Insta
@domgrillo
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
87Euro

Score

Well listed the chrome for some stock Sport or M3 rims looking to trade.

But really impressed by Besian - got my gaskets in 2 days. Got my oil, filter, cap, rtv, drain plug all as well. just waiting on the valve cover gasket and then will set up a weekend day to tear into it, going to do the front bumper swap at the same time, and probably pull my pusher fan in prep for electric fan swap

Can't wait to get to the next mode of restoration and fixing things
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
87Euro

All parts are in but no time, i did take the crappy front bumper off to put the stock bumper back on and realized the front bar that the bumper sits on it bent and Cut.

So need to buy taht front piece of aluminum...

Anyway, found some Stock BBS Style 5's that are legit 2 piece rims and looks like i"m trading the 6 19's I have for the 4 BBS's. The title states OEM plus and i'll do some spacers in the rear and eventually get a cup kit on it or at least lower it a bit, I think the Style 5's will be nice, looks like legit versions such as these weigh around 21lbs so I'm definately looking forward to that, new tires all around on them as well and just looking forward to it, actually like them more than the Style 68's as well so this works out well if it goes through

Been driving the piss out of it and no issues, can't wait to get the top end apart and replace all the seals and gaskets and get that last crank sensor in when i tear the top apart, goign to clean the disa as well and MAY do the rebuild on it but may have to wait due to funds. Once my truck sells, I will probably do some nice little upgrades to it. Also I'm removing the vinyl I did on the inside, I'm considering stripping the plastic and then plasti dipping it as a temporary solution for a while, only the A, B, and C pillars of course but the vinyl is too thick and doesn't look right.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
lol damn that rear turbo setup
Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
87Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
lol damn that rear turbo setup
That's how I felt, I intially got the car to fix it, then flip it, but I'm loving driving it so going to keep fixing and restomodding and keep it in the fam for a while.

Long road to go still.

Couldn't belive the cutout in the rear turbomount that he had, and guy was better than me with a welder as well so....
Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
Nerd

My Ride: '04 ZHP Coupe 6MT
Ok, please elaborate on just what the hell that mess in the spare tire well is. It looks like the muffler has been rerouted to go directly into the air intake of the turbo. Nothing hooked up to the exhaust housing that I can see, though. Did he have this for the sound or did he actually have piping running off it to the engine?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
87Euro

When I got it, no oil line was hooked up, and only intercooler piping ran to the back. It was no longer routed to the exhaust as well, the exhaust didn't even look like it was routed in, but it does a single out of the dual pipes running back so it may have actually been hooked up. He stated it was an experiment and it didn't pan out, I don't think he ever hooked it up honestly.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
Nerd

So, he was honestly trying to make a turbo work on the wrong end of the car and run his boost piping from one end to the other? Apparently, somebody's never heard of something called "friction loss." I think I've possibly seen it all, now.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
87Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
So, he was honestly trying to make a turbo work on the wrong end of the car and run his boost piping from one end to the other? Apparently, somebody's never heard of something called "friction loss." I think I've possibly seen it all, now.
I have actually ran rear mount turbo's in the past with good luck, just the attempt at this was not that great IMO. The turbo it'self is a Garret .60 trim and the intercooler piping is actually Really quality. The mount leaves somethign to be desired and the oil provision is really good as well, the pan was never tapped though so....

If you are not sure of rear mounts look at STS for pretty broad setups, I just had no interest in boosting this car - Zero - it's plenty fun for me on the Interstat and on Autocross it's going ot be hard enough to handle anyway without more power. I have race cars for boost
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Nerd

I still can't wrap my head around how that is at all practical. You would have to induce some lag from loss of exhaust gas velocity from going from the manifold to all the way at the back of the car instead. And, the actual boost pressure at the engine would drop a bit lower than at the wastegate. Seems unnecessary when you can just use a water-cooled turbo. But alas, I won't keep cluttering your thread about it. Should be interesting to watch. I like these kind of builds basically saved from the PO for the car's own good.