E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
golf_234

My Ride: E90
i would keep the zhp then upgrade later to something newer. the m3 is a beast but downgrading to 100k miles from a mint zhp? no. even my 135 eats the e46 m3 for breakfast

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 08-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
badass1g

My Ride: yeller
Drive one and you will buy one. As long as it's not a molested one lol. PS, go drive an 07-08 335i before you buy the M3, it is a bargain for the price. And much more updated.
badass1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
johnny717

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
i would keep the zhp then upgrade later to something newer. the m3 is a beast but downgrading to 100k miles from a mint zhp? no. even my 135 eats the e46 m3 for breakfast

My original plan was to keep the ZHP til my wife is done paying off her vehicle and then sell/trade the ZHP towards the 1M. Although me finding a decent 1M for $40k could be tricky still in 5 years. So my plan now is to sell the ZHP in the spring(fully paid off) for around $17-16k, save an extra $2k and get a decent e46 M3(1 or 2 owner, manual, accident free n less than 100k miles). Use that for my daily driver(I literally drive less than 4k miles/year) for the next 5 years and then finance the new 135is thats coming out this fall and keep the e46 M3. Would have got the e46 M3 when i financed the ZHP but insurance was outrageous so I couldn't.
johnny717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
DJ Syxx

My Ride: BMW M3
Drive one and you will be hooked. I made that mistake when my friend bought one and I drove it. After that I wanted to sell my 330 and buy one which I eventually did.

If the car has good history with it and paperwork to back up work on the car then its a good buy. 100k although its high if a car is maintained well, mileage doesn't matter. You get cars out there that have say half the mileage but sparse work done on the car. What would you rather?

Bear in mind as mentioned parts are more expensive as you will pay the "M tax" on parts and servicing isn't cheap as valve clearances are done on Inspection 1 & 2 which is were a lot of the cost comes from.

I don't know what car values are like where you are but if its going for a good price consider it!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
johnny717

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
Drive one and you will buy one. As long as it's not a molested one lol. PS, go drive an 07-08 335i before you buy the M3, it is a bargain for the price. And much more updated.
If a decent 335i or 135i was less than $20k I would definitly check them out. The cheapest I've seen was $24k. Would love a turbo inline 6 bmw motor but theres always boosting the e46 M3.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern2899 View Post
There are things that you will need to get used to though... If you like a quiet car than stay in the zhp... The m3 is just loud, obnoxious, and just an out right animal...
this, the M3 isn't for everyone. although a much better car, drive one to be sure it's what you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Keep in mind that parts are twice as much for an m3. That's just the cold hard truth.
Look up part numbers that will need replacing at some point such as a radiator. Twice as much. If that's not a factor for you go for it. If you can't afford a random $2000 thing breaking, don't.
Some parts can be more expensive but not majority. sure it's something to consider but it's nowhere like exotic (Ferrari) parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Shut the fvck up.
so many others share your sentiment.
just ignore the Village Idiot, he always posts nonsense.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
E46 m3 is not for anyone who doesn't make $60,000 a year.
I spill more than that.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
Only reason i decided not to get a m3 was the mpg.
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
E46 m3 is not for anyone who doesn't make $60,000 a year.

There are so many other financial factors. Ignorant post.

To the OP, as everyone has said, make sure there is money for maintenance/repairs. You don't want to be one of those people that drive there M into the ground due to lack of maintenance. Keep it in tip top shape.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
lol @ poor people defending their irrational M3 ownership.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny717 View Post
My original plan was to keep the ZHP til my wife is done paying off her vehicle and then sell/trade the ZHP towards the 1M. Although me finding a decent 1M for $40k could be tricky still in 5 years. So my plan now is to sell the ZHP in the spring(fully paid off) for around $17-16k, save an extra $2k and get a decent e46 M3(1 or 2 owner, manual, accident free n less than 100k miles). Use that for my daily driver(I literally drive less than 4k miles/year) for the next 5 years and then finance the new 135is thats coming out this fall and keep the e46 M3. Would have got the e46 M3 when i financed the ZHP but insurance was outrageous so I couldn't.
i really think you should go this route. An imola mint zhp is a pretty rare care and by no means something to just get rid of; Ralph Lauren has one in his private collection with 0mi in fact.

The 1m would be amazing but ya pretty hard to find; keep the zhp for a while and pick up a 135i or M135i (the is will be changing to M135 soon) and throw coilovers and the jb4 on it and you will drastically outperform pretty much anything from the current bmw lineup besides like m5s and tuned m3s, and you get all the new creature comforts which are really nice in the new models. i highly recommend going with the two tone teracotta interior.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frk2 View Post
Only reason i decided not to get a m3 was the mpg.
Yea, totally, that 2mpg difference is a killer

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
I've seen a lot of M3's for sale that have done the inspection 2 at 90k miles so I'm guessing every 45k miles in between valve adjustments is ok. Totally agree about every car is different but some cars have very similar problems so I guess i'm just wondering if anyone has had any horror stories with high mileaged e46 M3's other than the few known issues. Overall from what I have read in the forums it seems like the e46 M3 is very reliable no matter what year but just costly at times for routine maintenance and thats expected for any car that is about a decade old, especially one thats a street legal track car. The wife thinks i'm crazy for wanting to get rid of my perfectly fine car for someone else's problem especially if that car is older and has more miles. As far as that SMG trans problem I want no parts of SMG...manual trans all day.
Pretty sure those cars are on their second inspection 2, meaning they've had 4 valve adjustments.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #34
johnny717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Pretty sure those cars are on their second inspection 2, meaning they've had 4 valve adjustments.
If BMW only recommends 30k miles in between inspections than I'm pretty sure that guy meant the Inspection 2 and not 4. Inspection 4 shouldn't be done til 120k miles according to BMW.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #35
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Yea, totally, that 2mpg difference is a killer

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?
What is that true? People here keep reporting 11 or 12mpg with their m3s. If thats not true i feel very gibbed as i let go of an aweeesomee m3 to settle for my 330vert
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
If you can afford it M3 or nothing.

If you can't keep your car

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie77 View Post
An M3 is no doubt a better car then a non-m, I previously had a 330ci and went to the M3 and love every second of it. If it were me in your shoes I would certainly go to the M3 so long as everything was in order. You can find M3's with 100k+ on them that are in near perfect condition. Trust me when I tell you that you will not regret the switch. Once you drive an M3 and really see what it can do you will realize no boosted non-m will even compare.
so true

Quote:
A properly maintained ///M by an enthusiast is not downgrading by any means I wouldn't put it like that...

It all depends on how well the ///M has been maintained....if it's been abused then by all means stay away but if it has been well maintained then there's nothing to worry about but you need to keep in mind that you are going into an ///M w/o factory or extended warranty so it is important to get a PPI done on the car and know what maintenance items you need to address ahead of you...

OP, take a look at M3Forum.net as well as the M3 section here in this forum to get more info before making the final decision. I would say that, if you can, keep the ZHP and get the ///M as your second car. Having both is awesome and there are times when you can just take the ///M out for a spin when you want the power and then take the ZHP as your daily driver...

The 135 is a nice car, fast and fun car to drive but still....not an ///M. Yes stock the 135 eats the ///M but that's because it's lighter and has FI. Slapping FI on the S54 and it will be a different story...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 08-30-2012 at 01:29 PM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
"eats for breakfast" really? BMWs own published specs have the E46 M3 quicker than the 135i. Motor Trend and Car & Driver magazines 0-60 and 1/4 mile have the M3 quicker than the 135i. The Nurburgring Lap times have the E46 M3 lap quicker than the 135i. So I don't see how your 135i "eats M3s" when it's always behind it. At best it's close but not above and beyond it by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
A properly maintained ///M by an enthusiast is not downgrading by any means I wouldn't put it like that...
It all depends on how well the ///M has been maintained....if it's been abused then by all means stay away but if it has been well maintained then there's nothing to worry about but you need to keep in mind that you are going into an ///M w/o factory or extended warranty so it is important to get a PPI done on the car and know what maintenance items you need to address ahead of you...
OP, take a look at M3Forum.net as well as the M3 section here in this forum to get more info before making the final decision. I would say that, if you can, keep the ZHP and get the ///M as your second car. Having both is awesome and there are times when you can just take the ///M out for a spin when you want the power and then take the ZHP as your daily driver...
The 135 is a nice car, fast and fun car to drive but still....not an ///M. Yes stock the 135 eats the ///M but that's because it's lighter and has FI. Slapping FI on the S54 and it will be a different story...
It's no downgrade I agree, that's just silly. Unless one specifically picks to buy a beat-up example.
But sure there is something to be said about a newer model.

I'm not sure why you're agreeing with the 135i being faster. Never seen it published/posted that the stock 135i is quicker anywhere.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 08-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #39
Obioban

Quote:
If BMW only recommends 30k miles in between inspections than I'm pretty sure that guy meant the Inspection 2 and not 4. Inspection 4 shouldn't be done til 120k miles according to BMW.
No, BMW recommends that inspections are done when the service counter says it should be, which varies based on how the car is driven. My first inspection 2 came up at 44,000 miles and it (along with the inspection 1) were covered by BMW under free maintenance, as the car said it was time.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
so true

Agreed completely on the 135 front. While the performance numbers are similar, the experience is completely different... and I have exactly zero desire for turbo lag. In fact, I'd rather have a 128i than a 135i. Lag free, linear NA powerband, 230 lbs (!) lighter. I'd much rather have the lighter, unlaggy car than the faster turbo one.

... Or the M3, which combines the best of each.