E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Current mileage, when get new car, what and why?

I start first:

Current mileage: 107K
When will get new: maybe in 3 yrs @ around 150K if it actually lasts that long. :-)
What to get and why : Either a 2015 Mustang or used E92 M3, but I am leaning toward the Mustang. What Ford engineers have done to the ancient Mustang chassis is nothing sort of excellence. It's basically a $20K rental car chassis but somehow they were able to get a Boss and Shelby out of it is amazing. I can't wait to see what the new Mustang would be like with a proper IRS, lighter, smaller, and some new technologies.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Wut?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Murl

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci

I would wait and drive both of them and then make your decision. A lot can happen in 3 years and its a bit to early to think about a car in my opinion.
Murl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Wut????? R u actually comparing an //M to a mustang?? Fords r junk. All of them. Mustangs have no weight in the rear. Will wipeout if u throw a cup of water on the ground as one drives by. Skeeerrrrrrtttccccchhhhh!!!!!.........
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
I wouldn't underestimate the current Mustang. The regular GT is almost as fast as the current M3. The Boss version is just no contest. Just check VIR lap times.

Last edited by Westrace; 10-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
How about the 450 horse RS5 or a Supercharged S4? These are natural rivals to the E9x M cars. Although, the problem now with direct injection cars are oil/carbon fouling the intake tract and to make matters worse, the valves too. A port injected sled like the E9X will have no such malady. One less problem to worry about. One car that will be mighty enticing then (and right now) is the 996 Turbo S or similarly powered X50 optioned car with the GT2 turbos and bigger ICs. These are 12s cars stock. The turbo car gets its block from the Motorsport GT1 98 cars so it's not like the crappy 3.4 motors that have cracking liner bores. At 450 hp/457 tq, it is only a mild upgrade away from 500+ hp and tq. That sounds like fun to me. Plus, Posrsche 911's are dedicated sports car's; they are not regular passenger car chassis like a 3 series to M3 and regular V6 Mustang to a snarling SC'd V8. There is a real difference between a sports car chassis, and a normal passenger car chassis. That's my two cents.

Last edited by lucky_doggg7; 10-17-2012 at 12:38 AM.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
DtrM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
O_o so ur comparing cars 3 years from now? thats like saying ya im looking at the 2019 m3.... i dont understand what ur trying to achieve here... my m3 has almost 200k and runs just as strong as the day it rolled off the line... so ur comment of if it last till 150k is a matter of you maintaining ur car and replacing parts when they need to be, as far as a mustang 3 years from now whats not to say there even is a super car style mustang that far from now for the simple fact given current gas prices car companies are making less and less high power vehicles and more fuel efficient cars.
DtrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote