E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
SpookyChief

My Ride: '07 335i
Getting Deployed...leaving the car sit awhile

Well its finally my turn to go to the desert, so i'll be out of the states for anywhere from 3 to 5 months. I'm leaving my car in my garage when I'm gone, and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on anything I need to do so that it's in the same working order as when I leave. My girlfriend will have access to it, so I'm going to have her take it out every 2 weeks or so and drive it around the parking lot.

I know its not that long, but when my brother got back after 6ish months his truck was in pretty bad shape (battery, fuel pump). So if you guys have any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

SpookyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Well i would let your gf drive it at least once a month so the tires stay in shape, and the gas is used before it goes bad. Ive heard somewhere that some people just let the car sit and start it from time to time, but many people said its not good for the car. i dont know too much about what to do here though....
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
Either have a friend/family member start your car once every 2 weeks, or just leave the battery unplugged and hope for the best. After getting a bike and letting the E46 sit for 3 weeks, it had a bad rough idle for a minute before smoothing out.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
charlesberry

My Ride: 330xi
Have her drive it one day out of every week. You have to get the engine and exhaust up to temp. If you just start it, moisture builds up in the exhaust and it invites rust. And, keep in the garage. The sun is very bad for the paint and interior. By driving one day per week, this will ensure the battery will always have a charge. And when it's not being drivin, having a full gas tank is good. No chance for condensation to build up.

Just what I would do.
charlesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
I would probably just leave the battery on a charger and leave very little fuel in it so when you get back you can just fill it up with new gas, but thats just because I would never let anyone else drive my car.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
NoLe1123

My Ride: 'ohfo tre deuce five
good luck over seas buddy, and thanks for your service to the country.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
NoLe1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
sharkey2990

My Ride: '01 330ci
get a trickle charger or something to keep the battery charged. I lost my license for 4 months and during that time the battery lost its storing capacity and it was less than a year old. I heard its best to keep the gas tank full so there is less room for condensation.
sharkey2990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLe1123 View Post
Yeah man take care of yourself over there, I really appreciate your service to the country, I always wanted to join the army but I dont think I could handle it, Im to much of a b!tch lol
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
VT325Xi

My Ride: 2001 Jet Blk 325Xi
My 2001 XI sat for 1 year in the garage while I was in the Iraqi desert (US Army). My wife drove it home from the deployment ceremony in the VT winter and left it there with salt, snow and dirt all over it. When I came back the battery was dead and all 4 rotors were rusted solid. I couldn't even move the car out of the garage because the brakes kept the car from moving. Had to replace the battery, all four rotors and pads.

BTW, I'll be in Fort Walton beach in June so leave the keys under the floor mat and I'll thrash it something good for you as well. What unit you in? Eglin or Hurlbert?
VT325Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
all this advice is good, i don't have any more advice but i just wanted to say thanks for your service!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
good luck and be safe bro.

RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
wetzie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLe1123 View Post
Stay safe
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
only1shane

My Ride: 325ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
Have her drive it one day out of every week. You have to get the engine and exhaust up to temp. If you just start it, moisture builds up in the exhaust and it invites rust. And, keep in the garage. The sun is very bad for the paint and interior. By driving one day per week, this will ensure the battery will always have a charge. And when it's not being drivin, having a full gas tank is good. No chance for condensation to build up.

Just what I would do.
^^+1
worked for me on my 15 month deployment.
I also know a guy who put his car on jackstands for 12 months so the tires didn't get flat spots. Best thing to do is what charlesberry said. Good luck.

Color=Japan Rot
H&R Race Springs
HC Racing CF hood w/ M3 bulge
Color matched kidney grilles & front reflectors
only1shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
TC01

My Ride: 330CI
hmmm....i'm getting deployed as well with a group of guys from your area....could you be one of them?
TC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC01 View Post
hmmm....i'm getting deployed as well with a group of guys from your area....could you be one of them?
kick some ass fellahs. get back home safe.

RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Fuel stabilizer and put the car on jacks. However, if someone is around to drive it you probably don't need to go that far. Having someone start it up and drive it around the parking lot will probably not be enough, they should use it for the day if that is possible.
Best of luck on your deployment
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
3-5 months? don't stray too far from the FOB
Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
SpookyChief

My Ride: '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC01 View Post
I'm not sure, I'm in AMXS, working on the gunships.

Thanks for all your support fellas, its greatly appreciated especially since it's my first time there. I'm sure i'll be surfing the pages of this site the majority of my trip.

SpookyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #19
Mo.licious

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyChief View Post
I'm not sure, I'm in AMXS, working on the gunships.

Thanks for all your support fellas, its greatly appreciated especially since it's my first time there. I'm sure i'll be surfing the pages of this site the majority of my trip.
Spooky, first off, thanks for your service and good luck.

It'll be a good idea to run to autozone (or similar), and grab some STA-BIL (fuel stabilizer), fill up your tank, insert the sta-bil, and done.

Also, look into a battery tender, something that connects to your batter to keep a trickle of charge. Because even if you disconnect your battery, it will die.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #20
RGO325CiC

My Ride: '01 325Ci 'Vert
Chief-
Pack for hot weather; we hit 107 in Balad today.

Fill your yank, andf use Sta-bil. I've done this on my earlier deployments, the longest of which was 12 months. If someone won't run the motor, disconnect the battery, and if you have time, pull the plugs and shoot some WD-40 into each cylinder bore. I also spray WD-40 on all exposed metal in the engine compartment. I open the windows about an inch or so (I always store in my garage), and cover the car. Make sure your tires are inflated properly; I usually inflate to max pressure. I never had any flat-spot problems, but am replacing the set after this trip. I wash, wax, and vacuum before she's dry-docked, and that's about it. When I get home, I change oil and filter, and otherwise replace anti-freeze and brake fluid about every 2 years.

Nice thing about deployments--my 8 yr old car only has 4 years of use, and even the leather still smells nice!

- Steel Grey Met; Tanin Red leather; Myrtle trim; etc.
RGO325CiC is offline   Reply With Quote