E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
nateo

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Can I fill transmission through the drain hole?

ok, so I have a '02 330ci with the ZF transmission (it's not the GM one).

originally I thought there were two plugs on this sucker, the drain plug, on the fill plug. The fill plug I was thinking was the one located more towards the top on the side of the trans with torx. I stripped it. took it in to get only the plug loosened and dude changed the oil. Two issues that I concerned about.

1. He used valvoline max life and claimed that it was compatible (anyone know if this is true?)

2. He said that he drained and this filled back through the drain hole. he said that the filter has a stack dohickie and this is what allows one to fill it back up without it dripping totally out. He said that he filled until it overflowed that stack and that's how you know it's done. Anyone know if this is true? i'm now concerned that the fluid might not be at the correct level. If it is true rock and roll I'm going to redo it with the german oil and replace the filter and gasket this time.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Twichel04

My Ride: 1999 323i
If there were a stack in the drain hole to allow you to fill the Trans without any fluid leakage, then it would never actually drain the trans fluid....

OrientBlau 323i - M3 bumper - Eibach Pro Kit - Style 63 X5 wheels - 19x9 & 19x10
Twichel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
That's how my C300 is filled. However for that car there is a specific standpipe arrangement that you break every time you drain, and replace to be able to fill.

If the standpipe was built into his fill nozzle, the correct "fill height" must still be established. Meaning the fill level is determined by how long his nozzle is.

Sounds iffy if you ask me. The procedure exists, but I don't know if it has been used on the E46, especially since there's a fill plug to begin with.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Can you fill a bath tub with the drain? No. You can't.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twichel04 View Post
If there were a stack in the drain hole to allow you to fill the Trans without any fluid leakage, then it would never actually drain the trans fluid....
good point. hopefully they did nothing and charged me $80 vs draining it and attempting to fill it back up. well i still need to get this freaking fill plug out
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
OP - was the shop a BMW shop? Not totally sure what you said. If the transmission shifts, then I guess it's OK. If it slips or won't go through the gears or what have you, then I guess it's not OK. You cannot fill the transmission through the drain hole, but MaxLife ATF is good to go for your automatic transmission. People forget or never knew in the first place that it is in fact a premium synthetic-based ATF. I'd use it in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact my car has a manual transmission.

That said drive it for a bit then change it out again. It will only help since almost half the old stuff stays in the torque converter anyway.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
hitbyastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
good point. hopefully they did nothing and charged me $80 vs draining it and attempting to fill it back up. well i still need to get this freaking fill plug out
Whatever you do don't drill it out and throw swarf all in the pan. Heat it with a torch & drive an oversized cheap Torx bit in it, weld a nut to it, Dremel a slot in it and drive it out with a cold chisel, etc. Gotta get that thing out.

Twichel are those X5 wheels? Look kinda good on that car.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Twichel04

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Twichel are those X5 wheels? Look kinda good on that car.
Haha, yes they are, and thanks! They look even better in person than they do in photos.

OrientBlau 323i - M3 bumper - Eibach Pro Kit - Style 63 X5 wheels - 19x9 & 19x10
Twichel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
PapiOcho

My Ride: CRV
http://www.ezoildrainvalve.com

Build something like this.

Drill, tap, tread seal, insert valve type of choice(home depot) into your plug.

now your on your own to figure out a "pump" that will accurately allow you to backfill your tranny with the right amount of fluid.

AND THEN there's air pressure. I won't get to far into it BUT if you plug it(think seal it) and then force fluid into it, where is the air going to be displaced to?

Good luck. Order both plugs while you figure something temporary out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PapiOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
hitbyastick

^ did you not read what I posted? Automatic transmissions require clinical cleanliness. OP drills that plug and gets metal swarf in the valve body and you can forget everything. Done and done. Just one tiny little particle of grit is all it takes.

Besides those Fumoto type drain plugs are crap. Made out of soft brass. I tried to install one and it twisted right off as I tightened it, and I was going out of my way to be gentle.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
He can drill, it just have to be done with the pan off, to catch the shavings.
Those drain valves don't work for the tranny, it would stick out too far.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #12
crackerlee

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Conv.
Bentley manual pretty clear about filling it with just the right amount. That right amount of ATF is when it flows out the fill hole.

crackerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Did you strip the nut because you used a torx when it should have been hex, or you just used the wrong size Torx? There are bits that might catch enough with whatever 'rounding out' you did in any case...go to Sears.

I'd drive for a bit and if you don't see issues, I'd be okay with it...though in a year, I'd want to drain and refill...coz that's the way I am. If that guy lied about the 'stack,' and afaik that would be an aftermarket add on from prior owner and the first I've heard of that being used here, then I wouldn't trust what he did. He might have pumped fluid up as much as he could, then let it drain a bit while he put the drain plug back...as in...he wouldn't know what level he filled to.

Hmmm? You should probably get to this within a few weeks now that I think about it!

Sorry.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
nateo

Honestly I can't remember if it was a torx or hex because it was last fall. This seems to be a common problem with this transmission as others have had the same problem. Some people were able to get it out with a easy out. I tried that as well and it just stripped it further. Perhaps I didn't use enough heat. There's not much room to work with. Only a few inches. Welding the easy out or something similar is the best idea I've heard but I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld. Plus it's not easy to get to would probably need a third hand to hold the easy out on it. This is what I took it into the shop to begin with (non bmw). I suspect they felt like ripping me off would be easy then trying to get it out.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
PapiOcho

My Ride: CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
^ did you not read what I posted? Automatic transmissions require clinical cleanliness. OP drills that plug and gets metal swarf in the valve body and you can forget everything. Done and done. Just one tiny little particle of grit is all it takes.

Besides those Fumoto type drain plugs are crap. Made out of soft brass. I tried to install one and it twisted right off as I tightened it, and I was going out of my way to be gentle.
Bah, I wasn't clear enough. Since he asked about filling thru the drain plug then I'm assuming he has the drain plug in his hand. But I guess my assumption was hit by a stick lol just messing around.

But no way should it be OR there's no way it could drilled at the fill plug. No space and not safe.

I'd be impressed if someone was able to tack weld a wrench or anything else to it. What are these plugs made from?

PapiOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
it's easy to fill the transmission through the drain plug if the transmission is out of the car.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
it's easy to fill the transmission through the drain plug if the transmission is out of the car.
Sweet! Gotta ask. How hard is it to remove transmission?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Sweet! Gotta ask. How hard is it to remove transmission?
how hard is it for a DIYer at home with the car on a jack stand? Tougher, but by no means undoable.

for an experienced mechanic with a lift? Not hard at all. Maybe 20-30 minutes of actual wrench turning.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Someone mentioned hammer and cold chisel. I would give that a shot.
It worked for me a number of times on stripped bolts.
I know there is not a lot of room to work with.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
I8UrCat

My Ride: 06 325CI M-Sport
Stop trying to remove a bolt that you're not supposed to, you'll just waste energy damaging it. The guy you went to is 100% correct.

It's all done through the one (or two) plugs in the pan. If there's only one, above the plug inside the hole will be a plastic standing tube that you remove (usually 10mm Allen) to drain the fluid. The standing tube is reinserted (snug, not hella tight) to allow you to refill the fluid.
I8UrCat is offline   Reply With Quote