E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
2001BMW330ci

My Ride: 01 330ci
Camshaft Position Sensor

I got SES light and checked the code it came up with camshaft position sensor bank 1 so i when a bought an OEM replacement and changed it out cleared the code ans started right up ran around the block shut off my car then started it again the SES light came back on with the same code???? the problem with the car is rough idle and loss of power sometimes it stalls when coming to a stop at a red light. I dont know what to check now any help would be greatly appreciated. My car is 01 330ci vert.
2001BMW330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Which cam sensor did you replace? Intake or exhaust,

What was the actual code number / description?
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
2001BMW330ci

I replaced the intake sensor the code is P0334 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
OEM replacement... what brand was it? How much did you pay and from where.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
2001BMW330ci

Boush germany replacement oem part auto zone 97.00

Sent from my PG06100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I don't think autozone sells any OEM or OES camshaft sensors. I am not 100% but I think Siemen is one of the supplier

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Caden

My Ride: '01 325i
Return that part. Go to BMAparts.com and buy the right OEM BMW one for $117. I bought a shitty one off of eBay and the same thing happened to me. After it was replaced with the oem one a couple months ago no light since. Sensors are very delicate. Use OEM BMW.
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
Return that part. Go to BMAparts.com and buy the right OEM BMW one for $117. I bought a shitty one off of eBay and the same thing happened to me. After it was replaced with the oem one a couple months ago no light since. Sensors are very delicate. Use OEM BMW.
Genuine BMW=OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE OE

NOT OEM

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330ci View Post
I got SES light and checked the code it came up with camshaft position sensor bank 1 so i when a bought an OEM replacement and changed it out cleared the code ans started right up ran around the block shut off my car then started it again the SES light came back on with the same code???? the problem with the car is rough idle and loss of power sometimes it stalls when coming to a stop at a red light. I dont know what to check now any help would be greatly appreciated. My car is 01 330ci vert.
Dude. Maybe I am on the wrong track here but references to bank 1 and bank 2 are generally associated with O2 and Knock sensor fault codes not camshaft sensors. You sure you read the code right? The camshaft exhaust fault code will be a 18/P1397 and the intake would be 65/P0304 (BMW Code/PCode). A dodgy O2 bank 1 (pre CAT or behind CAT) would certainly give you the rough performance. Take another look. O2 sensor codes for bank 1 are Pre CAT 25/P0135 and post CAT 79/P0161. Just a thought.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
2001BMW330ci

What i wrote came right off the code reader so as far as i know bank 1 is the intake sensor and bank 2 is exhaust.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
RayPooley

Quote:
What i wrote came right off the code reader so as far as i know bank 1 is the intake sensor and bank 2 is exhaust.
Ok but this is the document I use http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46/E46%20Trouble%20codes.pdf and this is the scanner I use http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/p...31&p=61164.cfm. Covers all BMWs models 1997 to 2011.

I had to replace the O2 sensor post CAT bank last week because the car started to run like crap. The scanner gave me the appropriate code listed in the PDf. I also had to replace the intake camshaft sensor two weeks before that and again the fault code was as in the PDF with no mention of bank1 or bank2 which isn't surprising because the terms bank1 and bank2 refer to the two exhaust manifolds and their associated CATS bank1 being the one towards the front of the engine (cylinders 1,2,3) and bank2 towards the rear of the engine (cylinders 4,5,6). The camshaft sensors have nothing to do with the exhaust manifolds. The intake camshaft position sensor controls the intake camshaft and the exhaust camshaft position sensor controls the exhaust camshaft. you will get rough idle if these pack up but teh fault code would not refere to teh exhauset banks. That's my point. I would suspect O2 sensor bank1 pre or post CAT if the fault code refered to bank1. You would also get a sh*t load of misfire codes along with it.

Some pics

Exhaust banks
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=50

O2 sensors

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...81&hg=11&fg=50
Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
2001BMW330ci

The camshaft position sensor identifies position of the camshaft to the ignition control module (ICM), engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM)
When not replaced, vehicle could experience no- or hard start, long crank time, misfire, lack of power, excessive hydrocarbons in oil, spark plug fouling, catalytic converter failure, poor fuel economy, CEL/MIL illumination or intermittent shutdown. This is what i found, ive order a new cam sensor and will try it one more time then i will start with the 02 sensors like you have posted. thank you for your help just wish the code reader was right. i will keep you posted on what works out.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
2001BMW330ci

So ordered from bma got oe bmw cam pos sensor and ses light is still on with the same code. Is there anything else it could be? And is there a way to check the 02 sensors before i buy them? Dont want to waste money i dont have chasing phantom problems

Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
RayPooley

Quote:
So ordered from bma got oe bmw cam pos sensor and ses light is still on with the same code. Is there anything else it could be? And is there a way to check the 02 sensors before i buy them? Dont want to waste money i dont have chasing phantom problems

You can test O2 sensor behaviour to see if it is behaving as expected but it involves a blow lamp, a vice and a voltmeter so the answer is no. You can't test an O2 sensor before you buy it. However, it is something you could do with the one you take off before you buy a new one. If you have the time and the equipment. There was a procedure on the net that I was going to point you to but I can't find it. Thing is that, in my case, I was haunted by fault codes for a while, misfires and such. Even the camshaft sensor fault code on the intake camshaft side which I replaced along with the camshaft sensor on the exhaust camshaft side, just in case, and the codes returned intermittently. The O2 fault appeared a few weeks later and replacing that did the trick. With hindsight I think the previous codes were the ghost codes and that the real cause was the O2 sensor playing up before it got to teh point where it failed completely and revealed its failure in an O2 fault code. So that's my experience. Yours sounds similar to mine.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #15
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Ok but this is the document I use http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46/E46%20Trouble%20codes.pdf and this is the scanner I use http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/p...31&p=61164.cfm. Covers all BMWs models 1997 to 2011.

I had to replace the O2 sensor post CAT bank last week because the car started to run like crap. The scanner gave me the appropriate code listed in the PDf. I also had to replace the intake camshaft sensor two weeks before that and again the fault code was as in the PDF with no mention of bank1 or bank2 which isn't surprising because the terms bank1 and bank2 refer to the two exhaust manifolds and their associated CATS bank1 being the one towards the front of the engine (cylinders 1,2,3) and bank2 towards the rear of the engine (cylinders 4,5,6). The camshaft sensors have nothing to do with the exhaust manifolds. The intake camshaft position sensor controls the intake camshaft and the exhaust camshaft position sensor controls the exhaust camshaft. you will get rough idle if these pack up but teh fault code would not refere to teh exhauset banks. That's my point. I would suspect O2 sensor bank1 pre or post CAT if the fault code refered to bank1. You would also get a sh*t load of misfire codes along with it.

Some pics

Exhaust banks
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=50

O2 sensors

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...81&hg=11&fg=50

I'm pretty sure the Post-cat sensor will not cause performance issues. Something is not right here, either the code reader, or your translation of the codes. And, like others have said, cam sensors usually do not refer to a bank 1 or bank 2.
Also, I may be wrong, but that code reader looks like a regular OBDII reader, which can not read most BMW codes. Did you buy this off of eBay or some other site that sells questionable stuff? This may be the source of your bad codes. Even the name sounds a bit silly - BavarianDominator. I think you have been ripped off. That looks like a generic OBDII reader. Find someone with a real BMW code reader, and see what codes it gets. This thing is going to cost you some unnecessary money.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 09-09-2012 at 03:39 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I'm pretty sure the Post-cat sensor will not cause performance issues. Something is not right here, either the code reader, or your translation of the codes. And, like others have said, cam sensors usually do not refer to a bank 1 or bank 2.
Also, I may be wrong, but that code reader looks like a regular OBDII reader, which can not read most BMW codes. Did you buy this off of eBay or some other site that sells questionable stuff? This may be the source of your bad codes. Even the name sounds a bit silly - BavarianDominator. I think you have been ripped off. That looks like a generic OBDII reader. Find someone with a real BMW code reader, and see what codes it gets. This thing is going to cost you some unnecessary money.
If you look at the links I posted you will see that the scanner is a BMW scanner and I can confirm that the fault codes it returns comply with the BMW fault codes given in the document link also provided. The original misfire and camshaft fault codes were reported by one of our national rescue organizations in the UK (The AA) when I called them out to assist. Having already paid out significant fees to garages for code reading I decided to invest in my own. So I bought the iCarsoft one. Next time I had problems I plugged my code reader in and its readings were in line with those of the AA. So I replaced both camshaft sensors. When the O" fault code appeared I drove teh car to and indie. I pulled up around the corner, plugged in my scanner, noted the fault codes and cleared them. I let the indie read teh codes using his equipment. He replaced to O2 sensor and problem resolved.
His readings were attached to teh invoice. They were the same as those reported by my scanner. So I am happy that this scanner is doing the job it was designed for having been tested and compared with both the equipment used by a national motoring organization and a reputable indie. The diagnosis also seems reliable since the appropriate solution resolution cured the problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #17
RayPooley

Quote:
http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/p...31&p=61164.cfm

BTW. Just out of interest, how did you reach the conclusion that the scanner is a "regular ODBII" reader given what it says in the product description? I find that a little odd. I bought it from the company in the link not ebay. Personally, I wouldn't touch ebay with a sh*tty stick. As for the domain name its clearly designed to associate with Bavarian AutoSports one of the best known providers of BMW parts in the States, I believe. Its a small uk independent provider which doesn't necessaily indicate that its a bad thing. The fact that their address and phone number is on the website is generally a positive indicator. I checked them out before purchasing the kit.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #18
RayPooley

Quote:
http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/p...31&p=61164.cfm

BTW. Just out of interest, how did you reach the conclusion that the scanner is a "regular ODBII" reader given what it says in the product description? I find that a little odd. I bought it from the company in the link not ebay. Personally, I wouldn't touch ebay with a sh*tty stick. As for the domain name its clearly designed to associate with Bavarian AutoSports one of the best known providers of BMW parts in the States, I believe. Its a small uk independent provider which doesn't necessaily indicate that its a bad thing. The fact that their address and phone number is on the website is generally a positive indicator. I checked them out before purchasing the kit.
The other good think about this scanner is that I can keep it in the boot and plug it in by the roadside. Its also powered through the cable. Better than having to carry your laptop around with you. Y'all should get one. Very convenient. If you don't like this particular one then Bavarian Autosports do a similar hand held, plug and play product. http://blog.bavauto.com/10813/bmw-an...ing-live-data/
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
RayPooley

Quote:

..... and, when you think about it some more, the scanner doesn't actually do any diagnosis. All a scanner does is read what's stored in the DME and write it to the screen. To that extent its basically a software driver rather like the software drivers that pass info between your PC and a printer for example. The scanner just reports what it finds and nothing more. So the idea that the scanner is somehow at fault is a little preposterous.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
..... and, when you think about it some more, the scanner doesn't actually do any diagnosis. All a scanner does is read what's stored in the DME and write it to the screen. To that extent its basically a software driver rather like the software drivers that pass info between your PC and a printer for example. The scanner just reports what it finds and nothing more. So the idea that the scanner is somehow at fault is a little preposterous.
I never said it was at fault. But, if it is a regular OBDII scanner, it will provide code descriptions that don't match up to BMW codes. Since BMW does not use the standard code definitions that most other car makers use, then you could be getting a wrong code definition.
Again, I never said it was at fault, but if it indicated that the cam position sensor was faulty, and you replaced it with a correct OEM part, and the problem did not go away, then you should be questioning it as well, rather than getting defensive in a total of 3 posts with me.
We do have a scanner that is portable, and is pretty much standard issue for BMW owners without PC based software, it is called a Peake scanner.

As someone else pointed out here, Bank 1 and Bank2, as he points out below, refer to cylinder 1-3 and 4-6, and have nothing to do with the cam position sensors. These are used to identify issues with O2 sensors, knock sensors, and various cylinder issues.
Quote:
Dude. Maybe I am on the wrong track here but references to bank 1 and bank 2 are generally associated with O2 and Knock sensor fault codes not camshaft sensors. You sure you read the code right? The camshaft exhaust fault code will be a 18/P1397 and the intake would be 65/P0304 (BMW Code/PCode). A dodgy O2 bank 1 (pre CAT or behind CAT) would certainly give you the rough performance. Take another look. O2 sensor codes for bank 1 are Pre CAT 25/P0135 and post CAT 79/P0161. Just a thought.
But, rather than take this advice, or even attempt to verify it, you just wrote your own interpretation of what Bank 1 and Bank 2 mean, which are wrong, BTW.
Quote:
The codes given to you by AA were most likely form a regular OBDII reader, unless a national rescue place is running around with a BMW specific reader as part of his kit.
What you are not understanding is that an OBDII reader will still read a code, but their definition, and the BMW definition may not be the same. With certain emissions codes, they will read the same, and therefore be useful. But when it gets down to specific engine codes, the codes from the reader will not correspond with a BMW code.
The same goes for your local garage. If they did not use a BMW specific reader, then their code definition may be worthless.
And I would not be at all surprised to learn that someone is selling OBDII readers to people, and calling them BMW readers, web site or not.
I only suggested that you get your codes read by someone with a BMW specific reader, and see if their code definitions match yours. Or you could continue on, oblivious as to what you are trying to fix, and write 3 responses to me defending the reader that has already told you to replace a cam position sensor, which did not fix your car. You were the one who posted here asking for help, not me. If you want to continue to have blind faith in that reader, then by all means, do so. You will most likely be chasing that error for a while.
I also do not need an explanation that it is a code reader, and does not diagnose anything. You are the one who took the code it spit out, and bought a total of 2 cam position sensors.
BTW - the assertion that the name somehow corresponds to Bavarian Autosports is pretty thin at best. But, it may be a good way to sell an OBDII reader to unsuspecting Brits.
I may be wrong. But I only suggested that you try matching the codes and definitions to a reader that is known to be a BMW code reader.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote