E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
E46Miami

My Ride: 2004 325i
Question Tie Rods Assembly & Front Control Arm Bushing Set Question

Hi Guys,

I have a newbie question, I bought my 325i 2004 in March and it was in good condition with 65,000 miles with extended warranty.

After while i saw the car start to go right when i am driving, now also after 70 M/H the steering wheel start vibrate, so i took my car to the shop to check it and to do alignment, the shop owner he told me you need to replace

Tie Rod Assembly - Right 32106777504
Tie Rod Assembly - Left 32106777503
Front Control Arm Bushing Set - 66mm 31126783376

After that we can do alignment, so he give me a pending sales receipt with total $760 so i contact my extended warranty and they refused to pay for it

So i told the shop owner i will buy the parts and i will pay for installation, he said but you need to buy the genuine parts not aftermarket because if fail we will charge you again for the installation.

He need to charge me almost $175 for installation only, and i checked the genuine parts on ecstuning for total $371.64

my question is the aftermarket parts is that bad? because i am planning to sell this car after 4 or 5 months.

BTW i will change the tires also before i done the alignment.

Thanks
E46Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Dspkable

My Ride: 2003 3251
I'm in a similar situation, and was finding a good Control Arm "kit" on ecstuning.com but I'm hunting for the a good reference for which aftermarket is best. I seen a few posts previously that the BMW OEM bushing was not too sturdy. I'll check the forums and see what is recommended.
Dspkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
Check grammar so that other may comprehend your issue...

Then search for "Meyle HD" FCABs. Better than factory build, but yet still rubber-based compound, resulting in tight, "semi-better than factory" feel. The urethane "Powerflex" bushings that you might be referring to as aftermarket are, in some opinions, too tight and rigid for street use. I have urethane RTABs and Meyle HD FCABs and I cant complain about the use of either or, in my person usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
Why are you doing this maintenance and then selling the car in 4-5 months...sounds like your pretty smart with your money
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
After years of owning my BMW, here is what ive come to realize. IGNORE IT. If you own a BMW you will always battle suspension issues and annoying things. If it wont cause you any danger then ignore it. If you car is pulling it can be a number of issues. Tires, alignment, control arms and bushings, tie rods, steering wheel coupling etc. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
I understand your stance.. But that sounds like a terrible idea!?! Just my opinion. I too have come to notice there is always something that needs to be done, but thats what a BMW is.. Its a drivers car.. Its a high maintenance, attention whore. Tend to her properly and she will return the favor. But thats just my opinion. I always want her in tip top shape.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote